PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse1 vs SL1

MurphysLwa
02-18-2009, 17:08
Anyone on here have experience with either of these tents? Other than the weight difference between the two (nearly a pound) and the price, is there much of a difference?

Mocs123
02-18-2009, 18:18
I have the SL1 and have spent many nights in it the past few years. Other than the weight (the SL1 uses different poles and lighter materials) I don't think there is any difference. They are the same design. It is a very roomy solo tent inside and is good in the wind (pitched into the wind) rain, and light snow (it falls off the steep sides). The only negatives that I can think of are the smallish end door (side doors are easier) and smallish vestibule, but I can live with them for a tent that light and roomy.

MurphysLwa
02-18-2009, 19:23
Did you happen to buy the Big Agnes footprint? or do you just use a regular groundcloth? or nothing at all?

Mocs123
02-19-2009, 00:56
I don't use a groundcloth of any kind. I have spent about 80 nights in the tent and the floor is still (amazingly) without a single hole.

NCYankee
02-19-2009, 09:26
Not that I think it matters a whole lot but the reviews on REI.com have a lot of complaints on the Seedhouse 1 with the pole material. This could also be complete user error.

Grumpy
02-19-2009, 09:59
I too debated the two versions and bought the SL1 with a 20% off coupon. I am extremely happy with it. Like the previous post, the reviews on the 1 put me off a little. I am taking my on thru attempt starting Sunday. I have vetted my SL1 in rain, snow, and wind... as previously stated, it held up great. I did buy the SL1 footprint due to using it on a thru (150 days).

Mocs123
02-19-2009, 12:18
Interesting about the bad reviews. The tent uses DAC Featherlite poles, a common pole for lightweight tents. I have never had any problems with mine, but I have seen two MSR tent users break poles in the past year (although 1 of them fell on thier tent).

OldStormcrow
02-19-2009, 16:19
I've got a Seedhouse 1 that I've had for several years, but I usually don't take it out in really cold weather. I suspect that it's relatively high profile would be a problem in seriously strong wind. I have camped with it on top of some pretty windy ridges and never had a problem with the poles, though. It's a breeze to set up and I'm usually sittting there smoking my pipe and having cocktails while everyone else is still fiddling with setting their tents up. It does use the most stakes I have ever seen on a one man tent and is by no means "free standing". I do like the fact that I can sit up comfortably in it (I'm 6'2"), which you can't do in many solo tents. I think that it's biggest con is the tiny little doggie door in the end of it. It's nearly impossible to get out of it without getting soaked if the vestibule is wet. It is by far my favorite stealth camping tent. You can take it down and have it packed up for a quick getaway under the cover of darkness in less than 90 seconds....don't ask me how I know this....