1/2 cup dried apples, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark honey
1/2 cup natural unsalted peanut butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (essence)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly coat a 9-by-13- inch baking pan with olive oil cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, dry milk, wheat germ, almonds, apples, raisins, and salt. Stir well to blend, and set aside.
In a small saucepan, stir together the honey, peanut butter, and olive oil over medium-low heat until well blended. Do not let the mixture boil. Stir in the vanilla. Add the warm honey mixture to the dry ingredients and stir quickly until well combined. The mixture should be sticky but not wet.
Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Press firmly to remove any air pockets. Bake just until the edges begin to brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then cut into 24 bars. When just cool enough to handle, remove the bars from the pan and place on the rack to cool completely. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.

hootyhoo
02-18-2009, 17:27
Nutritional Analysis (per serving) Makes 24 bars
Calories 162
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrate 25 g
Total fat 5 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Monounsaturated fat 3 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 60 mg
Fiber 3 g

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 17:41
Thank U for that Hootyhoo! Many folks find it hard to shell out the bucks for some of the preackaged higher priced energy bars. I would guess that when U make these energy bars in bulk yourself the cost per bar decreases substanially. Can U tell us the wt. of each bar w/ the corresponding nutritional analysis?

dradius
02-18-2009, 17:52
Thanks for posting this! If I give it a shot I'll be sure to post my results/thoughts :)

hootyhoo
02-18-2009, 18:38
Thank U for that Hootyhoo! Many folks find it hard to shell out the bucks for some of the preackaged higher priced energy bars. I would guess that when U make these energy bars in bulk yourself the cost per bar decreases substanially. Can U tell us the wt. of each bar w/ the corresponding nutritional analysis?

I realized that the weight of the bars was missing - I don't know what it is - I guess if someone makes them they could weigh all of it and divide by 24 to correspond to the nutritional data.

With mine I use regular peanut butter, I add 1/4 to 1/2 cup molasses, and I add about 1/2 a bag of (quality) coconut flakes.

Also I use a baggie as a glove to smooth it out on the pan instead of Saran Wrap.

It has been a long time since I bought an energy bar - and I do not think I ever will again. It was rare for me to find an energy bar that reasonably priced, tasted good, and that I did not grow tired of really fast. These are a lot cheaper and the taste can be varied. I like to throw a bag of mixed dried fruit in there - or leave the nuts out on a batch - or use dried apricots- or whatever...

heescha
02-18-2009, 23:56
hey that looks great guys! off to the grocery store!

hootyhoo
02-20-2009, 16:39
At home I crumble these up and put them in milk. Wait 10 minutes for them to soften then eat with a spoon. Homemade muesli and cheaper than the boxed stuff.