PDA

View Full Version : hiking with dogs

jleuch02
05-13-2004, 22:49
I know this topic has been discussed extensively, but still have a few questions. My girlfriend and I are starting our first thru hike of the AT in mid June. We have been looking for a dog that could hike with us and we found a retriever/German Shepard mix who we liked a lot. The only problem is that he is between 4 and 6 months old. We still have a month until our hike starts, so he'll be between 5 and 7 months, but is that too young for him to hike the trail? We have heard that it may be bad for him to do so much so young.

Blue Jay
05-14-2004, 07:18
Please ignore this troll.

shades of blue
05-14-2004, 08:19
Your dog is still growing....it's a baby. Taking it out this young could hurt it in it's formative stage. On top of all that....at that age you are still training the dog. Do you really want to subject yourself and everyone else to a dog who is learning how to behave? Most people would say no. BTW I have a 2 1/2 year old Golden Retriever....love her, but wouldn't subject her to that kind of hike. My honest opinion.

eyahiker
05-14-2004, 09:08
OK, I'm ignoring..............

d'shadow
05-14-2004, 15:08
Leave your dog at home. Taking a puppy on the trail is the same as having a small child along. You will spend all your time training the dog, caring for him, and trying to keep him away from other hikers. :mad: Take this opportunity to enjoy the delicious sense of being completely free to hike all day, stop at a waterfall for the afternoon, take a zero day. In other words, the freedom to do what you want, when you want and why you want to do something. :sun

Chappy
05-14-2004, 22:59
I know this topic has been discussed extensively, but still have a few questions. My girlfriend and I are starting our first thru hike of the AT in mid June. We have been looking for a dog that could hike with us and we found a retriever/German Shepard mix who we liked a lot. The only problem is that he is between 4 and 6 months old. We still have a month until our hike starts, so he'll be between 5 and 7 months, but is that too young for him to hike the trail? We have heard that it may be bad for him to do so much so young.

Methinks you funnin' us! :D