PDA

View Full Version : Some sobo questions

LTHotSauce
02-18-2009, 18:01
Hey everyone. I am new to whiteblaze and let me say this is a great place for information. Still, I have some questions for everyone.

First let me say that I am physically fit (and 22) and have done some backpacking before. I have army experience as well as one and a half weeks backpacking I spent in SNP last year. I will be traveling with 2 of my army buddies, both in excellent shape but with no backpacking experience, just a lot of army infantry experience. Now on to the questions.

1. Starting date. I am trying to hike the entire trail but due to military obligations imust be off the trail by november. I plan on skipping about 200 miles of trail that I have already hiked or will hike over spring break so I can meet that deadline. I am looking at starting arounf may 27th. Is the trail open then? Is it passable? And what is the weather like.

2. Gear. Will winter gear be needed or just layered fall gear (non-cotton long sleeve shirts, fleece, rain/wind gortex shell)?

3. Camping at baxter. The site says only two mail reservations per day. Is that two sites or two people total per day. All three of us would like to share a campsite with three tents.

4. Money on the trail. How much cash is normally carried?

5. Food until monson. According to the conpanion there doesn't look to be any good spot for food resupply onceat baxter. Do people then show up with 12 days of food (one for katahdin, one till abol bridge, 10 for the wilderness)?

I'm sure I will have more questions as I get closwr to leaving, but that is all for now. Thanks in advance for the help!

Phreak
02-18-2009, 18:05
5. Food until monson. According to the conpanion there doesn't look to be any good spot for food resupply onceat baxter. Do people then show up with 12 days of food (one for katahdin, one till abol bridge, 10 for the wilderness)?

You could do a small resupply at Linda's store at Abol Bridge - tho I only stopped for a soda and snacks when I was up there.

You can be resupplied at Jo Mary Road in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I paid $40 to have my resupply package delivered there.

fehchet
02-18-2009, 18:21
Good luck to you and your buddies. May you have a blessed hike.

Phreak
02-18-2009, 18:24
You can also do a limited resupply at White House Landing. The 1lb burger was reason enough for me to stop there.

Grampie
02-19-2009, 10:36
Contact White House Landing and see if they still except food drops. I did Maine SOBO in 01. Sent a mail drop to them. It was then free if you stayed the night. It's a nice stop after 40 miles in the woods.:sun

Red Hat
02-19-2009, 11:02
1. Starting date. I am trying to hike the entire trail but due to military obligations imust be off the trail by november. I plan on skipping about 200 miles of trail that I have already hiked or will hike over spring break so I can meet that deadline. I am looking at starting arounf may 27th. Is the trail open then? Is it passable? And what is the weather like.

May 27th is iffy for Baxter opening and depends upon weather, there will be lots of bugs

2. Gear. Will winter gear be needed or just layered fall gear (non-cotton long sleeve shirts, fleece, rain/wind gortex shell)?
you should be okay in layers

3. Camping at baxter. The site says only two mail reservations per day. Is that two sites or two people total per day. All three of us would like to share a campsite with three tents.
If you reserve a campsite there is room for all three

Carry at least $100 in cash

This has been answered: 10 days or food drop...

TJ aka Teej
02-19-2009, 11:06

1. The Hunt Trail (The AT) may not be open by the 27th, but the Abol Slide Trail (connects with the AT up on the TableLand at Thoreau Spring) might be.
2. Fall gear, it might be 35 on top of Katahdin, and 70 down below. Think versitile, light weight layered clothing - and remember you can't mail anything home until Monson.
3. Two reservations per day means you can ask for two seperate bookings. Think about getting a lean-to in case of rain.
4. You'll need some cash, not much. There's ATMs, Post Offices (buy a stamp and get cash back), and most service providers take cards. You'll need cash for shuttle providers.
5. White House Landing will NOT take food drops. WB member Boarstone provides food drops in the 100 mile, there's always hitching out to Jo Mary Campground or the Brownville Store. You can re-up some at Linda's Store, great subs too - carry one or two with you into Hurd Brook.

Have fun!

Old Hillwalker
02-19-2009, 11:18
You can also do a limited resupply at White House Landing. The 1lb burger was reason enough for me to stop there.

The PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA. I carried half the PIZZA out of there SOBO in the AM and it took care of the full day.

Frick Frack
02-19-2009, 11:32
We started June 13 and finished Nov 15 doing what I tought was taking our time (5 months 2 days). We met plenty of people who hiked it faster (most were your age...much younger than us!). If you remain disciplined it should be no problem.

Starting May 27th may be iffy as already stated and I can assure you the bugs will be horrible (take repellant and a bug hood). We bought food on the way to Baxter that we ate at Kathadin Stream and also ate at Abol Bridge where there is decent resupply. We underestimated the 100 Wilderness though and would have run out of food if it was not for a stop at White House Landing (recommended). They have small resupply there as well. We carried 8 days worth into the 100 MW and I recommend 10 days as stated already. We were in excellent shape from cycling & the topography looked easy but you will understand when you get there.

We had $40-$80 cash on us but ATM's will be available often. Most places let you use debit too (and credit).

As far as clothes go...we were on Kathadin in the 60's but had many nights in the low 40's in the 100MW. I had a insulated vest, 1 long sleeve capilene shirt, 1 short sleeve capilene shirt, long pants (which I sent back after the 100MW and wore a kilt the rest of the way), pair of capilene tights, 2 pairs socks, glove liners, hat, rain jacket (sent the rain pants home...they protected us from bugs but we sent them home after the 100MW), and 2 pairs exofficio boxers.

Hope this helps! Have an awesome sobo!

naturejunkie
02-19-2009, 11:47
Lots of good advice here already.

If your in a time crunch and Abol and Hunt are not open, you may need to head South and come back to K another time. Your weather in Maine will likely be wet and often chilly.

I resupplied at WHL no problem. It is expensive, but they had plenty of selection to get me through to Monson. Plus it's a beautiful spot.

Good Luck!

LTHotSauce
02-20-2009, 08:16
Thanks for the advice everyone. Would a start date of june 1st be better? When does hunt trail normally open?

Frick Frack
02-20-2009, 09:35
I think the Hunt trail opened May 31st or June 1st last year?.....from what we were told when we checked in June 13th last year.

Good Luck! Have Fun!

TJ aka Teej
02-20-2009, 10:17
I think the Hunt trail opened May 31st or June 1st last year?
The Park canceled the May 15th opening due to snow. Opened Abol Slide May 23rd, Hunt a week later.

ARambler
02-20-2009, 17:16
Hey everyone. I am new to whiteblaze and let me say this is a great place for information. Still, I have some questions for everyone.

First let me say that I am physically fit (and 22) and have done some backpacking before. I have army experience as well as one and a half weeks backpacking I spent in SNP last year. I will be traveling with 2 of my army buddies, both in excellent shape but with no backpacking experience, just a lot of army infantry experience. Now on to the questions.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I get closwr to leaving, but that is all for now. Thanks in advance for the help!

1. May 27 is a good Target. Many years there is a window in the beginning, e.g. K opens early like 5/22 and then a June 1 storm closses it for a week. It's good to be flexible.

2. yes, fall layers and bug protection.

3. The AT lodge is a good option for sobos. They will give you a shuttle to the trail. I hiked (up and down and) out to Aboll, but that's a long day.

4. The AT is slightly more of a cash economy than home. I don't like ATM fees so I pull out a little more than most.

5. Are you in the French army? 10 days is for fat old Whiteblazers. Plan on 7 days max from Aboll. No packages at WHL but you can count on buying at least a couple days food. Don't get over confident at WHL, the southern 2/3 of the wilderness is more rugged.

6. 5 months is average for sobos. Have fun.
Rambler

think0075
02-26-2009, 21:10
hey i hiked southbound last year i went up on may 31st in terrible weather conditions but it was still fun. my only suggestion to you would be to invest in ben's 100 bug spray. make sure * get some before you get to baxter state park. i made the mistake of thinking the bugs wouldnt be to bad the walk out of the state park to abol bridge was one of the most humbling experiences im just so glad the abol bridge camp store sold some or i would have been screwed. oh and get a head net. nothing fancy. but walking all day with bugs flying in your ears and your eyes sucks. everything else you just have to learn on your own. i could tell you to throw half the **** in your pack out but then you wouldnt learn for urself

boarstone
02-27-2009, 10:15
Don't assume you won't need money while your in the "100 mile wilderness". Besides your stop at WH landing, if you can't get any further for whatever reason, you'll need to get driven or flown out if you can't walk. This will spell $$$$. If you make it to a road crossing and have to bail, think of $ for whom ever takes you out...like in donate to their gas tank at least. Traffic is few and far between...fishermen mostly, loggers. Keep checking here on WB for heading "Maine conditions" I post there w/current conditons of water levels/rains etc. that will impact ones hike in this section of trail.

warraghiyagey
02-27-2009, 10:30

May 27th is a pretty good date to start, you'll be ahead of the main pack of SOBOs by a couple weeks. But you may have to climb the Abol Trail to Katahdin if the Hunt Trail (AT) isn't open yet.
You won't need winter gear as long as you have adequate layers and a warm sleeping bag - 20 degrees at least.
You will not have any problem getting a site at Katahdin Stream or Abol in late May. But I would definitely suggest getting a lean-to at Katahdin Stream - it's just beautiful.
As far as money, you could get away with less from stop to stop but if you carry a couple hundred headed south you should be fine as long as you have a backup - card or maildrop travelers check - you'll figure it out pretty quick by the time you leave Monson.
While I carry enough to get to Monson, there is a decent enough re-supply at White House Landing - (Mahar's Landing) blue blaze when you get there just before Potawadjo Lean-to (to the left at Pemadumcook Lake).
When you get to Monson - enjoy SHAWS - great people!!:sun:sun

LTHotSauce
02-27-2009, 12:40
I had planned to stay at shaws and get a maildrop of canister fuel (and some odds and ends) mailed there.

Had to push the start date back to june 3 because of graduation and graduation related parties. See you all on the trail!