PDA

View Full Version : To Take of Not To Take

sleeman13
02-18-2009, 21:27
I'm going to be starting my thru on the 15th of March. I am not very familiar with the weather in the south this time of year as I am from Maine. I am trying to decide between taking a fleece vs a expedition weight thermal long underwear top and vest. The weight of the fleece vs the thermal top and vest combo is about the same.

Any suggestions of which item(s) I should bring?

Thanks.

fleece: http://www.skiingbum.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=55153

thermal top: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=56505&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

vest: http://www.prolitegear.com/cgi-bin/prolitegear/patagonia_micro_puff_zip_vest_sp_07

Rockhound
02-18-2009, 22:21
I'd say the thermal top and vest only because it's 2 layers instead of 1. I could be wrong. There are people with more expertise than me here. Just my best guess.

SGT Rock
02-18-2009, 22:24
ITs hard for me ever to tell someone what clothing they will need. That area is probably one of the biggest area of variation you could see. Some people are warm in snow in just shorts while others freeze with 4 layers of clothing on in the 40s.

The short answer I can give: if you already own it all, then bring it all. Whatever you don't need by the time you have a few miles in the weather behind you - you can send home.

Summit
02-18-2009, 22:41
I agree with 'Rock' basically. Rather than advise what you should bring/wear, let's just say that thru April (1 1/2 months) you could easily experience temps dipping to low teens overnight. You will likely get a little snow (nothing like what you're used to in Maine I'm sure). I always strive to err on the side of 'better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!'

Blissful
02-18-2009, 23:33
Bring an outer jacket, you'll need it until after Roan Mtn. at least.

Tinker
02-18-2009, 23:42
Summit: "I always strive to err on the side of 'better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!"

Me, too (recovering ultralighter). ;)
As Blissful says, bring an outer jacket, too. I assume you already had that in mind. Fleece and polypro don't do much to keep you warm when the wind's blowing.
A windbreaker is an absolute must have. Rain wear will do in a pinch, but it will make you sweat with exertion.

hopefulhiker
02-18-2009, 23:42
A lot of people use the Patagonia stuff. I got a used Patagonia pullover down sweater that I used and liked.mIt weighed about 11 oz..

The first jacket at 18 oz might be a little heavy. I started out about the same time.. had silkweight long underwear. the sweater the Marmot driclime shirt and frog togg jacket. I saved the sweater for in camp use only..

The main thing is to keep something warm and dry for when you get to camp..

scope
02-18-2009, 23:53
It is a fact that you will be colder in GA than you expect given the relatively balmy temps as compared to ME same time of year. While hiking, you'll be fine, warm in tshirts. Camp is the issue at night, humidity will chill you. I'd say you're better off with the insulative properties of the fleece rather than the layers if you're not bringing down for camp.

garlic08
02-19-2009, 00:03
I say bring all of it plus a rain shell. The vest was my hardest decision for my thru starting in April and packing it at the last minute turned out to be very smart. (You should also have a 20F bag or better, too.) Best of luck on your hike.

sleeman13
02-19-2009, 06:59
I am bringing a precip and a polyester shirt in addition to what every I choose. It sounds like I should start out with all of it then filter out the fleece as the weather gets warmer.

daddytwosticks
02-19-2009, 08:50
Northern folks should not underestimate the late winter/early spring weather in the south...especially at elevation. Look out for the WIND. :)

jersey joe
02-19-2009, 09:12
If it is one or the other, i'd bring the fleece. Fleece material tends to work well in wet weather. Holds heat dries pretty fast. Not sure how that vest will hold up when wet.

buz
02-19-2009, 10:10
If your poly shirt is LS, then I would say the top would be the one to leave. For me, the fleece and rain jacket would be good for my arms, but I want my core warm, so I would bring the vest also. Do you have a good hat and maybe light gloves? Easiest choice is bring it all, send home when warm enough. I hate being cold, and extra pillow material is always welcome, lol. have a great hike.

Mr HaHa
02-19-2009, 10:34
Northern folks should not underestimate the late winter/early spring weather in the south...especially at elevation. Look out for the WIND. :) I would not underestimate tempratures in the summer either. Early the morning of July 2,2008 up on the ridge north of Pearisburg the thermometer in my tent read 31 degrees. A local said that several nearby towns had recorded near record lows for that date. Thats pretty cold when all you have is a summer bag and no warm clothes to speak of. Sometimes we pick our poison with regard to the weight we want and don't want to carry.