PDA

View Full Version : Damascus or Dicks Creek Gap?

Stryder
02-18-2009, 21:48
Ok I am heading out for a section at the end of April. I will be leaving from Hot Springs and have about 10 or so days I can walk. I want to make some miles since I can not get out as often as I like because I live in Ohio. Anyway...

I am sure I will see many section and tru hikers in the area..which is fine. What I want to know is what some opinions about these two particular sections as far as aesthetics and terrain. They are about the same as far as distance (around 12 miles more to Dicks Creek Gap). I also know I will be going though the smokey mountains where I am not suposed to Hang (I am a hammock man) so...duly noted..:datz

Thanks for any comments

Adam

Tennessee Viking
02-19-2009, 00:31
You should be able to pack on the miles around Damascus.

From what I understand about the trail north of Dicks Creek, there will be rollercoaster of climbs going through the Nantalhalas.

steve43
02-19-2009, 12:49
i agree with buliwyf. the trail north of dick's creek gap has some serious up and downs, but if you're up for it, what the heck? some of my favorite hiking was north from hot springs into damascus. once you get past roan, the trail becomes somewhat easier. plus finishing in damascus is a treat. its a great trail town.

btw.... i travel south and north on rt. 33 with some regularity. i think one of the best meals i ever had was at a mom & pop restaurant on the north end of lancaster on 33 right across from a big shopping center. it was very cool. wish i could remember the name of it.

fifo

Doxie
02-19-2009, 12:54
I think as far as scenery goes, these are two equally beautiful sections. My personal, completely biased opinion, though, is it would be better to go north to Damascus. I love this section, it's *slightly* easier, while still offering a good challenge. You can camp just about anywhere (unlike the smokies), and you get to go through the Roan Highlands, Beauty Spot, Unaka Mtn, Watauga Lake, and several other beautiful places. You also have some good options for resupply and spending a night inside since you'd be going by Kincora and Erwin on the way. You also get to hike along with the thru hikers and maybe make a friend or two, going south this time of year you'd just be passing people on the trail. Once again, it's just my opinion--they're both beautiful sections and you'll have a great time either way.

Stryder
02-19-2009, 12:59
My buddy and can not think of a mom and pop restaurant on the north end of Lancaster to save our life right now. Was it pizza? Was it more in town or a good bit north near Canal Winchester....LOL.

I think I am going north on this one. I just walked from Springer to Dicks Creek Gap Dec 26-Dec29 and there were a couple of hills in there :D:eek:. I have done the area NORTH of Damascas (about 50 miles) and liked it. I will just follow the wave of hikers on in to Damascus I think.

Adam

Sly
02-19-2009, 14:02
He wants to hike from Hot Springs, north to Damascus or south to Dick's Creek. I'd probably hike north.

Stryder
02-19-2009, 14:09
He wants to hike from Hot Springs, north to Damascus or south to Dick's Creek. I'd probably hike north.

Looks like we are all of the same mind. I only entertained the idea of going south because I left off at Dicks creek gap and wanted to possibly finish the some more of the south but I think I will just do that section next year. Like someone else said, there are some perfect resupply points heading north that I wanted to check out. Should be fun!

Adam

steve43
02-19-2009, 15:44
[quote=Stryder;783551]My buddy and can not think of a mom and pop restaurant on the north end of Lancaster to save our life right now. Was it pizza? Was it more in town or a good bit north near Canal Winchester....LOL.

it was still in lancaster on the right side of the road heading north. its in a white building as i recall, and a good ways before you reach the by-pass. it served typical diner food; not pizza. i believe my son and i were the youngest ones in the joint except for a waitress or two. i just remember it was a great meal.

Kirby
02-19-2009, 15:49
Going out of Hot Springs, I'd go north. That was one of my favorite sections of trail.

Ox97GaMe
02-19-2009, 17:34
I dont know what kind of shape you are in, but attempting to do either of these in just 10 days is going to be quite a feet. You will need to be averaging around 20 miles/day, which will not be easy in either direction over that terrain. In April, the days will still be short, so you will need to be averaging better than 2 miles/hr or be hiking early and late.

Good luck with the hike.

Stryder
02-19-2009, 17:45
I dont know what kind of shape you are in, but attempting to do either of these in just 10 days is going to be quite a feet. You will need to be averaging around 20 miles/day, which will not be easy in either direction over that terrain. In April, the days will still be short, so you will need to be averaging better than 2 miles/hr or be hiking early and late.

Good luck with the hike.

Thanks. You are right. I know I am ready for an ambitious hike. In December I walked from Blue Mountain Shelter (just south of Unicoi gap) to Dicks Creek. I left at 11:45am and got done at 6:30. There were a few hills in that section....If I can recall, Addis gap was quite fun. I try to get as many miles as I can in because I just want to see so much in my limited time. My pack does not really get muchy more than 22lbs (including consumables). I also sleep well as I am a hammock hanger! (just had to throw that in there...LOL)

Adam

Stryder
02-19-2009, 17:47
[quote=Stryder;783551]
it was still in lancaster on the right side of the road heading north. its in a white building as i recall, and a good ways before you reach the by-pass. it served typical diner food; not pizza. i believe my son and i were the youngest ones in the joint except for a waitress or two. i just remember it was a great meal.

You might be thinking of ROOTS. That place is pretty cool and yes they do have good food. I used to get some grease from them when I used to make biodiesel!

Adam

Pony
02-19-2009, 18:19
I think that's the name of the place. Anyway, not sure if that's the one you're thinking of, but I heard it's just a little building on the side of the road north of Lancaster. :-?

Hey, Adam. It's a win win situation. Whether you go north or south, you're still hiking for 10 days.

I liked Hot Springs to Dick's Creek Gap better.

Stryder
02-19-2009, 18:22
Cool. That sounds like the right place!

Either way, both sections are going to get hiked. I think, being the time of the year it is, I am going to go ahead with Nobo. You are right. At least I will be out for 10 days! Score!

Adam

steve43
02-20-2009, 15:56
[quote=steve43;783669]

You might be thinking of ROOTS. That place is pretty cool and yes they do have good food. I used to get some grease from them when I used to make biodiesel!

Adam

bingo!.... mystery solved.... fifo

Doxie
02-20-2009, 16:36
If you went from Blue Mountain to Dicks Creek in that amount of time you'll be absolutely fine! That's not an easy section, for sure. There would be some longer climbs for you, but nothing steeper than that.

Chicken Feathers
02-20-2009, 20:32
I hope you see something besides your boots. Good luck and happy hiking:-?

TnSlowPoke
02-20-2009, 20:37
Will be leaving Damascus on the trail.
April 14 going North bound to P.A.
with my partner.

Stryder
02-22-2009, 15:32
I hope you see something besides your boots. Good luck and happy hiking:-?

I guess I can understand that statement. The reason I hike alot of miles is because it is hard for me to get away to the trail because of time and family obligations. I make stops and take pictures when I see beautiful vistas. I also get to see everything and do not really feel hurried.

I did have to go a little faster than normal on that last section because I had lost time. I got down to Unicoi and realized I had forgotten my favorite knife back up at the shelter (blue mountain). I really wanted my knife back so I went back up for it. Never did find it though. At that point I was really behind so I had to move it. I will say it was challenging...:sun
I do not have problems with doing leisurely 20mi days without feeling hurried. I am sure there are others here that feel the same. Having a maximum of 23lbs on my back has made the world of differnence! YMMV.

Its all about hiking your own hike.

On the other hand, last year I did a R2R2R trip in the grand canyon. That one was challenging but I missed so much. 42 miles...no stopping...2/3 at night. That was 18.5 hours of walking. I DID get to see some GREAT stars...then more walking. :eek:

Adam

Erin
02-22-2009, 20:57
You will run into thru hikers on that section, we did. It was a memorable part of our trip in the most postive way. We met so many friendly, interesting people, old and young. And the trail north of Hot Springs was beautiful, many wildflowers and super scenic views, especially the ridgeline south of Jerry's Cabin and the view from the firetower. Trail days in Hot Springs is in late April too..we just fell into that and had a wonderful time in town. We had been there an hour and were all over picking our ducks for the duck race. And we had a great experience at Elmer's. And Paddler's Pub which I hear is now closed due to the tragic death of the owner. Hot Springs is a nice town.