PDA

View Full Version : Campsites in Maryland on AT

susquehannaslim
02-18-2009, 21:50
I'm planning a walk across Maryland from Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar park. I'm aware of the Dahlgren Back Pack Campground. Some of my guidebooks/maps also refer to a Pogo Campground and an Annapolis Rock Camp Site. Do these last two camp sites really exist?

shoe
02-18-2009, 22:23
There is camping at Pogo. I would hit another 5 miles or so and stay at the hostel.

That's what I did last year as there was an unsavory looking fellow at the Pogo area.

I vaugely remember some camping at Annaplis Rocks but alot of the area was blocked off so the area could recover.

sticks&stones
02-18-2009, 22:26
not many flat spots at pogo

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 22:38
If * follow the spur along the edge of the cliff at Annapolis Rock * will come to additional campsites and a strong running spring. There was a handdrawn picture of the campground posted near the caretakers sight the last time I was there. Nice view from Annapolis Rock. Take in the view at Weavers Overlook too. Great view across the Potomac River. Ed Garvey shelter was one of the nicer newer shelters in 06.

Toolshed
02-18-2009, 22:40
Too many people at Annapolis rocks to ever find peace camping there.
Pogo has several sections to it. It is on a bend in the trail next to a junction for a Blue Blaze trail that climbers frequently use to get to the rock climbing areas further South.

Right about "not so many flat areas at Pogo", though there is an excellent spring just below the first one on the Blueblaze trail, that always seems to be running (FWIHH). I did hammock at Pogo and it was fine. I have heard it gets a fair share of rock climbers camping out there at times. It looked well used. There is camping on both sides of the trail as well as a few hundred yards North and to the East.

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 23:03
That's strange. Last time I was at Annapolis Rocks during a summer weekday I shared the entire place w/ one other couple who were camping up near the caretaker's tent.

Toolshed
02-19-2009, 00:38
That's strange. Last time I was at Annapolis Rocks during a summer weekday I shared the entire place w/ one other couple who were camping up near the caretaker's tent.
I came through on a Sat. Whoa is me!!!

sly dog
02-19-2009, 01:58
There is Ed Garvy shelter with camping, crampton gap shelter with camping, Rocky Run shelter with camping, Dahlgren campground with shower,Pine Knob shelter and camping, Annapolis Rock campsights, Pogo campground,and Devils Racecourse shelter.

Toolshed
02-19-2009, 08:46
There is Ed Garvy shelter with camping, crampton gap shelter with camping, Rocky Run shelter with camping, Dahlgren campground with shower,Pine Knob shelter and camping, Annapolis Rock campsights, Pogo campground,and Devils Racecourse shelter.
And Dahlgren is right next to the restaurant!!!!

sly dog
02-19-2009, 10:36
I have stayed Dahlgren a couple times, pogo once, Annapolis camp once and stelthed at Weverton cliffs. Pogo is like they said, not very flat but I did find a decent spot there. Also there is a privy and water at the bottom of a small decent. At annapolis there is a caretaker that is on the way in and there are some areas they are trying to restore but there is still a lot of designated numbered campsites. Dahlgren is cool that it has a hot shower but being close to the road it gets full sometimes with weekender groups.

Downhill Trucker
02-23-2009, 05:54

You also have the Ensign Cowall Shelter just north of pogo. Very nice.

I did this section in October. Stayed at Crampton Gap the first night, Pine Knob the second, and Cowall the third. Pine Knob is kinda noisy and Annapolis Rocks gets pounded on the weekends. Cowall is kinda close to the road and gets a bit crowded on weekends also.

Don H
02-23-2009, 08:22
An option would be Maple Tree C.G. which is 0.8 miles off the AT at Gathland S.P.

Crash
02-23-2009, 20:48
I hammocked @ Pogo a few years ago. No one else was there.

I did not drink the water, the spring was directly downhill from the out house.
It was not a composting privy at the time. I hope they changed it by now.

susquehannaslim
02-23-2009, 20:54
Shoe, you mentioned a hostel 5 miles from Pogo camp ground. Would that be north or south on the AT. I was aware of hostel's in Harpers Ferry, but didn't know of any in Maryland along the AT

Downhill Trucker
02-24-2009, 07:39
Free State Hostel. Google it. It's north of Pogo. I've never stayed there and it seemed pricey but everyone who stays there raves about it. I think it's like .5 miles off the trail right before you get to the Cowall Shelter (heading NOBO).

Doc
02-24-2009, 08:02
Free state hostel is one of the best. Great folks who understand hikers. The only downside is one bathroom which makes it a challenge with a full house. I highly recommend this place.