PDA

View Full Version : new to this...seeking Maine partner

chess
02-19-2009, 08:30
Hi. I have no idea what I'm doing with this posting/forum stuff. First day on here... I'm planning a hike of the 100-mile wilderness in Maine this July. I've never back-packed and I will be going solo unless I can find a partner. It's not easy getting a committment for such an adventure from the everyday people I run across in my life. I am concerned about getting a male partner 'cuz...well, you know men can be wierd, especially on an 8-10 day hike in the wilderness. But they can be strong and handy, too. Any advice would be soooooo appreciated!!!!

Wheeler
02-19-2009, 09:43
I know it's tough to head into the unknown. You might be suprised at the amount of women hiking south from Katahdin. it won't be hard to hook up with somone, and then if it does'nt work out, you won't be committed.

chess
02-19-2009, 13:51
thanks. I 've heard this sentiment before--that I might find someone I want to hike with, or the reverse; that I may go with a partner and find that we aren't well-matched and end up hiking apart. Is the trail this crowded with hikers? I'm picturing kind of a rural experience, is that off-base?

Hikerhead
02-19-2009, 14:05
Male wishing to speak....with permission please.

chess
02-19-2009, 14:21
speak! please.

Pootz
02-19-2009, 14:36
I would suggest spending the night at Shaws Lodging in Monson. You will be ahead of the thru hike crowd but here should be other hikers there that time of year. Maybe you will luck out and find other women there you could hike the 100 mile with. The trail is not crowded but you will run into other hikers. White house landing is a nice place to stop in the 100 mile if you need resupply or just want a good hot meal. Prices may seem high but not for the location. Good luck with your hike.

Pootz
02-19-2009, 14:38
Sorry I did not realize I was in the female hiking forums

boarstone
02-19-2009, 15:33
Hi. I have no idea what I'm doing with this posting/forum stuff. First day on here... I'm planning a hike of the 100-mile wilderness in Maine this July. I've never back-packed and I will be going solo unless I can find a partner. It's not easy getting a committment for such an adventure from the everyday people I run across in my life. I am concerned about getting a male partner 'cuz...well, you know men can be wierd, especially on an 8-10 day hike in the wilderness. But they can be strong and handy, too. Any advice would be soooooo appreciated!!!!

Depending which way you are going, feel free to allow me to help you get thru this section w/o much worry. If I can, I'd like to hike w/you if my schedual allows me to. Or assist you any way I can. Just when in July? I won't be back from my hike in North Carolina until the 5th of July. I live up here in the "100 mile wilderness" and have hiked it alot...so I am familiar. :)

Hikerhead
02-19-2009, 18:57
speak! please.

Mods look, I've been OK'd to say something in here........

I was only going to say that if you do find a partner to maybe not hike like you're glued together. Give each other some room. Plan to meet at lunch somewhere down the trail and again at the campsite. That way you want get tired of them and heaven forbid, them of you :)

That's all. Thanks

Blissful
02-19-2009, 20:22
Wish I could go with you. :(
Hope you find a buddy.