PDA

View Full Version : Camp shoes?

hikergirl1120
02-19-2009, 09:24
Would anyone recommend bringing something like this? I have heard of people bringing some kind of sandals or Crocs...

beeman
02-19-2009, 09:50
YEs, especially if you are hiking in boots. Waldies or crocs are very lightweight.

shelterbuilder
02-19-2009, 09:53
I've heard that Crocs can be helpful at stream crossings as well as around camp. However, I've never carried them. In camp, I unlace my boots, stuff the laces into the boots and clunk around camp like that. I don't find this objectionable (some folks might), and it saves the weight of the Crocs. YMMV.

Jorel
02-19-2009, 09:59
I have decided to hike in extremely light weight trail runners (NB 790's, 8oz each) which dry very fast. I use a prescription sole insert, for arch support. I carry as "camp shoes" neoprine slippers (sometimes referred to as Croc liners), on the bottom of which I have put a little seam sealer for traction. They weigh less than an ounce each. Works for me.

garlic08
02-19-2009, 10:09
It's your call. Not everyone carries camp shoes. I don't. Even Crocs weigh 10-12 oz. Those neoprene slippers are probably the lightest. If you hike in shoes, not boots, there's no need. With boots, it's a good idea.

Frick Frack
02-19-2009, 10:11
I take Crocs for camp shoes. I wore boots most the way on my thru but towards the end I wore trail runners. When I had the trail runners I realized I was not using my camp shoes. Just a thought....

Tinker
02-19-2009, 10:17
I used to carry old running shoes, and even had to hike in them from time to time as my heavy boots would occasionally give me heel blisters.
I use trail runners or sandals now, so they dry quickly if I set them near a fire (not too near, I melted the glue from a pair of boot soles doing that once). Like clothing, you can wear them partially dry, then change socks. The new socks rarely get any more than damp. If it's still raining in camp, just wear the shoes until you go to bed, leave them loosely tied, and you can quickly slip them on to make those late night "calls of the wild". Next day, if it's still raining, just put all your wet stuff back on and hike. In long term rains, often the only thing you can keep dry is your "camp, or sleep clothing", your sleeping bag, and your pad. Don't expect more and you won't be disappointed.

Rockhound
02-19-2009, 10:42
Crocs Rock, don't weigh much, and strap easily to the outside of your pack.

Kerosene
02-19-2009, 10:51
Crocs Rock, don't weigh much, and strap easily to the outside of your pack.Crocs size 10 men's weigh about 12 ounces.

Rockhound
02-19-2009, 10:55
Crocs size 10 men's weigh about 12 ounces.
Worth the weight, but perhaps I should rephrase my statement. To your average thru-hiker they don't weigh much. To an ultralighter they way a ton.

gonewalkabout
02-19-2009, 11:41
I wear trail runners and don't carry campsoes anymore. At size 12 alomost anything I get would weigh 14 oz. Too much. I wear the TR around camp. If they are wet and my feet are cold I put dry socks on and wear gore tex over socks. You can either walk around in the oever sock if your OK with that or slip the wet TR back on. Either way your feet will be warm and dry. In summer like weather the over socks won't et worn as much. But remember HYOH!

Pickleodeon
02-19-2009, 11:52
I absolutely love having crocs in camp. I'm a big fan of slip on shoes, like clogs, and wear my crocs all the time, even to work. I have the mammoth ones on now, in winter. Anyway, I always carry my crocs. They're really not that heavy and they are awesome for stream crossings. I love them. Plus, I've kept them on almost the whole day where there are lots of water crossings and hiked fine in them, although it was pretty smooth trail.

Tilly
02-19-2009, 12:01
Well I used to hike in Chacos so I never needed camp shoes.

Now I hike in trail runners and I really, really need them. I switch into Tevas during lunch and first thing when I get to camp, and like others have said, it's nice to have crocs or sandals for fording rivers. I think my feet would hurt way too much if I didn't have something else.

Or you could carry a lightweight pair of flip flops.

But I guess you will figure out your preference on your own. Many who hike in trail runners don't seem to need camp shoes.

kyhipo
02-19-2009, 12:14
I still like the old tevas,ended up hiking in them down in NC for awhile.My so called expensive hiking shoes about killed me.ky

mountain squid
02-19-2009, 12:42
Would anyone recommend bringing something like this? I have heard of people bringing some kind of sandals or Crocs...Unless, while at home, you are accustomed to wearing shoes from as soon as you wake up until you hit the rack at night, I would suggest bringing some camp shoes. It is nice to get your feet out of wet shoes at the end of a full day of hiking.

As already mentioned, Waldies/Crocs are good camp shoes and although somewhat bulky, they're worth the weight. They are comfortable and can be used for fording, if needed. You'll wear them around camp, down to the water source, sometimes in town, etc...

Just my thoughts...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Ender
02-19-2009, 13:06
I carry these...
http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901
They weigh in at a wonderful 1.5 ounces for the pair (yes, 1.5 ounces), and are way more durable than you'd imagine... I used a single pair on the PCT for 1000 miles, both in camp and for river crossings. They are ugly as sin, but there's nothing better at the end of a day than getting out of your shoes and letting your feet air out. And at 1.5 ounces and $5 a pair, it's nothing to buy a few and throw a pair into my pack.

Gaiter
02-19-2009, 14:58
crocs... simple and light... many hikers just strap them to the back of their pack

boarstone
02-19-2009, 15:09
Wanting to give my feet a rest and drying out and my shoes, I carry a watermoc for stream crossing/in camp. Dollar store buy....

Pootz
02-19-2009, 15:20
I hike in trail runners and always change into my Crocks at the end of the day. The trail runners need a chance to dry and air out. And your feet need a break from walking in the same shoes everyday for 6 months. It really does not matter what you decide to take for shoe/camp shoes. If you are successful on your thru hike you will have plenty of time to make changes. Do whatever works for you.

Enjoy your hike!

Sly
02-19-2009, 15:53
.... your feet need a break from walking in the same shoes everyday for 6 months.

Since I've never had a pair of shoes last 6 months, they automatically get a break. ;)

Plodderman
02-19-2009, 16:36
Sandals as I just get myself to wear those funny loking crocs.

SkinnyT
02-19-2009, 16:38
Imitation crocs from dollar store weigh a bit more than half of the name brand.

UGASlotMachine
02-19-2009, 19:20
Any type of Crocs-type footwear is huge while on the trail. They don't weigh anything and you can easily tie them on your bag. They were a really nice luxury to have on the trail. I wore them anytime I wasn't getting trail miles...a real lifesaver...get a pair!

Rockhound
02-19-2009, 19:40
Imitation crocs from dollar store weigh a bit more than half of the name brand.
They last about 1/2 as long too. strange coincidence.

Stryder
02-19-2009, 20:09
They last about 1/2 as long too. strange coincidence.

Maybe 1/2 as long but you can find then for better than 1/3 the price many times

Blissful
02-19-2009, 20:19
Crocs work great for me. Your feet need a break and your shoes need time to dry out. Cuts down on blisters.

SGT Rock
02-19-2009, 21:15
Back when I used boots, I carried running shoes for camp. When I switched to running shoes for hiking, I stopped using camp shoes. I figured that is what my feet use to relax in.

But I stared with them after many people worked hard to convince me I would "need" them on a thru hike despite the fact I had not had any for years of hiking. I eventually got rid of them - found them useless for me.

When I get to camp I open up my shoe laces all the way teenage gangsta style. Works fine for me. No extra weight. Body heat can help them dry faster - less frozen footwear problems in the morning. With a January start I only had frozen footwear twice and those were especially nasty days.

YoungMoose
02-19-2009, 21:22
bring crocs. they make * look like a idiot but alot of people were them on the trail

SGT Rock
02-19-2009, 21:25
MakeYOU look like an idiot.

Hooch
02-19-2009, 21:33
You mean wear them on the trail. :banana:D

bigcranky
02-19-2009, 21:44
I bought a pair of Waldies at Mountain Crossings in 2003, and have worn them on the trail and at home ever since. They are great camp shoes. (This is a brand similar to Crocs, but softer rubber.) I have been trying to wear them out to no avail.

Having a pair of camp clogs is great. When my trail runners are soaking wet from an all-day hike in the rain, and I have put on my nice, dry, warm sleeping socks, the *last* thing I want to do is stick them in my wet, cold hiking shoes. When I get up in the middle of the night to answer the call of nature, it's much easier to slip on my Waldies (look! no hands!) than to put on my trail shoes, wet or dry. Plus, they are simply more comfortable than my trail shoes.

Last summer I left them home on a section hike to save weight. Bad idea.

I loves my Waldies. Your Mileage May Vary.

shoe
02-19-2009, 22:31
Waldies vs Crocs....
I think Crocs are better. I got some Waldies at Fontana last year and the first night out the little screw came out, so the strap was useless to me and flopped around everywhere. Crocs don't have a screw that can come undone.

buff_jeff
02-19-2009, 23:12
Just use cheap, lightweight sandals.

banksville
02-19-2009, 23:31
Crocs work great for me..lightweight and don't hold the water on a dewy morning.

bigcranky
02-20-2009, 08:26
Waldies vs Crocs....
I think Crocs are better. I got some Waldies at Fontana last year and the first night out the little screw came out, so the strap was useless to me and flopped around everywhere. Crocs don't have a screw that can come undone.

My Waldies are older and don't have the little piece that goes behind the heel. So, no problems. Sorry about yours.

randyg45
02-20-2009, 15:15
I just bought some Golites at 6PM.com for 19.95. Less than 10 oz, some have reported durability issues but should be fine for camp or stream,

Unclegorb
02-20-2009, 15:42
http://www.nothinz.com/flipflop.htm

I just got a pair of these...very comfortable. They weight a few ounces less than crocs (I think they're around 5.5 oz a shoe) and they're made from the same material. I just prefer flip flops to clogs and they have a back strap, which is nice when crossing rivers.

Lillianp
02-22-2009, 19:55
I like crocs, although on some of my short backpacking trips, I noticed that the other two girls had tevas, and actually had an easier time navigating the small path to the water source than I did. However, that could be because a) my crocs were old-ish at the time and b) because they had hiked more than I.

q-tip
02-22-2009, 20:27
at the end of the day my feet need a break, crocs rock.

Mighty Mouse
02-22-2009, 21:25
Although I wore trail runners, I carried Crocs for campshoes. My feet definitely thanked me for it. They also came in handy when in town. Also, you're bound to step in a shower that you wouldn't dream to do so with bare feet unless you want a funky foot fungus. Next time I may try Quarks though, since they look significantly lighter.

irrationalsolutions
02-22-2009, 22:37
i've always used tevas for camp and plan to on my thru hike.