PDA

View Full Version : My Gear List. Please Critique

Tuna
02-19-2009, 09:50
I am starting my thru-hike on March 8th. This is my gear list, it together it all weighs around 17lbs. I would grateful for any advice on what might good to strike-off/add to this list. Thank you. :)

North Face Prophet 55ltr pack
Vango Tornado 150 tent
Vango 400 Ultralite sleeping bag +liner
Highlander Ultra sleeping pad
Hiking boots
Pair of hiking poles

Clothes
[/*]2 bandanas
1 thinsulate hat
1 pair of thinsulate gloves
1 down jacket
1 waterproof jacket
1 waterproof trousers
1 hooded fleece
1 Addidas running top
1 hiking trousers that zip-off into shorts
2 thermal base layer top
2 thermal base layer trousers
2 pairs of socks
2 pants
2 sports bra

Kitchen
[/*]2ltr water pouch
Iodine tablets
Stove
Fuel canister
Cooking tin
Spork
Fire starter
Matches

Keeping Clean and Safe
[/*]Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Floss
Dr Bonners 8oz
Moisturizer with sunbloc in it
First aid kit inc. bug repellent and tweezers
Toilet paper
Needle and thread
5 pairs of self-heating toe warmers
Whistle
Spare laces
Spare glasses
Prescription sunglasses

Misc.
[/*]Thru-hiker companion
1 map set at a time
Compass
Duct tape
Knife
15m nylon cord
Watch
Journal and pen
Camera + spare batteries and memory card
MP3 player
Wind-up head torch
A few zip-loc bags
A couple of large rubbish bags
Passport, cards, small amount of cash

Tuna
02-19-2009, 09:54
Sorry that it has come out as one great long list. I did copy paste and all my spacings and underlinings have vanished. Hope it isn't too hard to read.

Grumpy
02-19-2009, 09:54
Sniggs... looks just like my packing list and I am starting Sunday morning. It is good to see I am not the only person bringing dental floss. Good Luck.

Tuna
02-19-2009, 09:56
Thanks. Best of luck to you too, Grumpy!

Rockhound
02-19-2009, 10:24
Looks like you can lose 1 layer of base layer clothing, the spare glasses, spare laces, fire starter. It said you had pants that zip off into shorts and then 2 pants after that. I'm sure you could lose 1 of those. Bug repellent you can ship ahead as it's not a big issue in the beginning. Also I did not see a water bottle on the list. You'll want one in addition to the 2 liter bladder. People will jump on me for this but I don't think you need the maps or compass either. The Companion has all the info you'll need. Jack Tarlin and LW disagree with me on this issue and it's probably the one thing the 2 of them agree on. So in the interests of peace and harmony to the WB world I say for all to hear, "You don't need maps to hike the AT". This will perhaps allow these two WB gurus to set aside their Kincora/Braemar, Damascus/Hanover grudges and unite as one against this non map carrying fool Bringing a long awaited era of peace to the WB.

4eyedbuzzard
02-19-2009, 10:27
Just in case you didn't know, you can't fly with the fuel canister, so I assume you'll be buying that here.

I think both your tent(nice looking but 2.5 kg/5.5lb) and synthetic sleeping bag(1.4kg/3.0 lb) are on the heavy side from a weight standpoint, but of greater concern is the lower comfort temp rating of +1C(34F) on the sleeping bag for a March 8 start. You could see single digit temps at times for the first month along the trail especially in higher elevations. Plan on wearing clothing inside your sleeping bag if it gets really cold. That extreme temp rating of -14C(7F) under the EN 13537:2002 standard for the sleeping bag is a survival mode thing--you'll survive, but it wil be cold and uncomfortable at best.

I'd ditch one set of thermals and add a third pair of socks, but thats just my personal preference, though the second set of thermals might prove handy if it gets really cold in that bag.

Get a bic lighter, keep the matches as a backup

When you get here, if you don't have a cell phone, get one of those prepaid calling cards in case you need to make a few phone calls, they're a pain in the ***, but carrying a lot of change on the trail is heavy. Often others will let you use their phones knowing your situation, but you can't rely on it.

Also, make sure you have a few different credit cards in case the mag stripe gets damaged on one, your card turns up on a compromised list or another bank goes bust and your card needs to be replaced. Figure out some way of staying in touch with those at home who need to monitor your mail for stuff such as this.

Any major gear problems, like if you get tired of winding that headlamp, decide your tent and/or sleeping bag are too heavy, etc, you can fine tune once you're here--we need you to spend money to stimulate our economy anyway ya know.;)

Tuna
02-19-2009, 10:30
Thanks Rockhound. I will definitely get a water bottle. By pants I meant underwear in Britspeak, if I could edit I'd change that. Interesting on the maps and compass. I've so far only got the first set, I thought I'd get out there and find out for myself which WB faction is right - maps or no maps.

Tuna
02-19-2009, 10:35
Thanks 4eyedbuzzard for the red flags about my tent and sleeping bag. I've done a couple of shakedown overnighters in them and it wasn't too bad, thought yes I did sleep in some of my clothes.

Good point about the cell phone. I was planning on not bothering, or does everyone have a phone out there?

Panzer1
02-19-2009, 10:40
People will jump on me for this but I don't think you need the maps or compass either.

Consider yourself jumped on...

Panzer

Grumpy
02-19-2009, 10:44
I am taking my cell phone and will just charge it up when at hostels or towns. I don't plan to keep it on but rather turn it on once a day to see if I have a signal. From what I gather many folks out there will bring theirs but many others won't. From my stand point I would happily allow anyone to make a call on my phone if they need to...

Rockhound
02-19-2009, 10:48
If anything you might want to keep the maps for the Whites north. There. That is my one concession. I also did not see camp shoes on the list. Some consider it a luxury item but I love Crocs. Great for water crossings and when you want to kick off your boots after a long day hiking but are not quite ready for bed. Crocs rock.

Rockhound
02-19-2009, 10:51
In the southern part of the trail you will get your best reception with Verizon.

Panzer1
02-19-2009, 11:13
small amount of cash

I like to hike with $400 in cash plus credit cards. And use cash mostly. Credit cards are for backup.
Remember, your on foot, you won't always be able to get to an ATM. And if you use the wrong ATM they can charge you all kinds of fees.

Panzer

4eyedbuzzard
02-19-2009, 11:17
Thanks 4eyedbuzzard for the red flags about my tent and sleeping bag. I've done a couple of shakedown overnighters in them and it wasn't too bad, thought yes I did sleep in some of my clothes.

Good point about the cell phone. I was planning on not bothering, or does everyone have a phone out there?

I wouldn't ditch the tent and bag just because of weight, you may be comfortable carrying them in which case you'll be fine. Lots of people thru-hike with heavier packs overall than what you have. Not that many years ago those were pretty common weights. You'll generally sleep about 10F warmer in a tent than the bag rating, so I'd just give it a go and see how it works out as you have enough clothes to help out on any really cold nights. Most thru-hikers do some equipment adjusting along the way anyway. Just go and figure it out as you go along knowing that you could likely shed 5 lbs or so if really needed.

I'd personally have no problem letting you use my phone if I was there, even to call the UK--but you'd have to pay me back with a pint or two.;)