PDA

View Full Version : Any reason for filter and tablets ?

jcramin
02-19-2009, 15:55
I just purchased a MSR Sweetwater filter system with a silt filter and I also bought Potable Aqua tablets, so I can try both out and use which ever I need depending on camping.

BUT, my question is, is there any reason to use both such as filter the water then use the tablets if I am using really dirty water someplace ?

Thanks,
J

boarstone
02-19-2009, 16:01
To be on the safe side and be able to continue to hike and enjoy it....YES!

Pootz
02-19-2009, 16:04
I used to filter my water but now only use Aqua Mira drops. Had a Sweetwater and it broke during a hike and I had to go to my backup drops. Got to thinking why not use the backup all the time. Saves almost a pound. For silty water I strain it through a bandanna that I carry anyway.

jcramin
02-19-2009, 16:10
Also I noticed my MSR filter system came with Sweetwater ViralStop solution which is a Chlorine Solution for virus protecting. What is the difference that an the iodine based Potable Aqua tablets ??

Thanks,
J

Ender
02-19-2009, 16:14
I used to filter, then switched to Sweetwater drops... now I only use them off and on, depending on the water source.

snowhoe
02-19-2009, 16:22
Yes on the filter. I know there are a lot of people here who do not treat their water and it will catch up to them. I remember at plum orchard gap shelter there was a guy who got giardia and he had been there for 3 days before we got there and the very first question he asked us was "do you guys have any toilet paper?" That dude was sick! Thank goodness for ear plugs because that dude pooped and threw up all night. In the morning he finally went back to dicks creek. Bad news guys. Treat your water.

BrianLe
02-19-2009, 16:36
I usually bring just a few tablets as a backup when I'm carrying a filter (more often, however, I use a liquid chemical).

I can think of a couple of reasons a person might do this, in part depending on what's known about available water sources. One reason is just as backup --- filter clogs (I've had this happen in silty water) and takes too long or can't be cleaned, filter breaks, gets dropped in a stream, whatever.

Another reason is anticipated sketchy water sources. I think most or all water treatment solutions that backpackers carry are somewhat of a compromise; typical filters don't kill bacteria, for example. From a few years ago, here's one more detailed discussion of this sort of thing:
http://usachppm.amedd.army.mil/dehe/pgm31/ips/ip31-032.pdf

burger
02-19-2009, 17:08
My Sweetwater broke 10 days into my first AT section. I didn't have any backup, but luckily there were good springs in that area, and I was just a couple of days from a town.

The lesson: always have a backup water treatment option. Pills (whether iodine or chlorine-dioxide like the Micropur MP1) are a great because you can keep a day or two's worth in your pack, and they'll weigh nothing. I always keep a few MicroPurs stashed in the bottom of my pack just in case (I use AquaMira as my primary treatment).

So, yes, bring both so you have a backup. But given the quality of water sources on the AT, you shouldn't need to both filter and chemically treat the same water.

garlic08
02-19-2009, 17:45
Ditto on the backup. Filters do break.

If you start a thru hike with a filter, if you follow the progression I've seen often, the filter will break, you'll start using the chemical back-up (Aquamira is popular), then you start using the chemical less and less when you realize the springs in the mountains are the best water on earth, better than the town water.

take-a-knee
02-19-2009, 18:08
Another vote for backup tablets, I like Katadyn's tabs, they come foil packed so it is easy to count and see how many you have.

If your filter is functioning properly you don't need the tablets in addition unless you have reason to be concerned about viruses (remember, hand held filters don't remove viruses). There are viruses in backcountry water that can cause illness according to research I've read but they seldom do. Most viruses that can make you really sick will only be found downstream from human habitation.

Ender
02-19-2009, 18:18
Also, I read on here (though I admitedly don't know if there's any proof to this, but it makes LOT of sense to me) that most illnesses while hiking don't come from water nasties, but from bad hygene (bathroom and cooking). Water nasties are actually a fairly minor concern when compared to those.

So, always wash your hands!

sticks&stones
02-19-2009, 18:33
if you grew up in a city, and drink from tap water, or bottled water , and have never spent much time swimming in lakes or ponds, you might need the extra protection.

q-tip
02-19-2009, 19:06
Dehydration is the number one issue for me on the trail, so here is my plan for water. One, carry enough. (Appalachian Pages guidebook has the water sources listed and distances between.) Two, use a prefilter on non-running water. Three, use a steri-pen uv system. Backup, micropur tablets. I have had heat exhaustion twice on the Fla trail and it aint fun, so treat well and drink up!!

Summit
02-20-2009, 18:11
Hate messing with filters that clog and break. That's why I use a Steripen and love it.