PDA

View Full Version : Is an Arctyrex Bora 65 good for 7 days nonstop?

Morpheus
02-19-2009, 21:04
I keep downsizing. Average 35# loaded now. Lowe contour IV too big. I would call myself a medium/light hiker. Anybody with experience with this pack?:-?

Nicksaari
02-20-2009, 08:41
Arctyrex bag are heavy to me. and overpriced. the Osprey Atmos line is awesomely light, rugged, and carries 35# comfortably. look into Osprey, Granite Gear, even REI makes good lightweight bags. happy hiking bro

Nicksaari
02-20-2009, 08:43
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46842

Frick Frack
02-20-2009, 09:46
I second the Aether. Mine was awesome for 2175+ miles! The Atomos is nice too but the Aether is a notch up w/o too much weight penalty. I have a Contour IV which I started my section hikes with & it has not seen duty since my wedding when I hiked 3 pump pots of dark roast up Springer in 2006

Morpheus
02-20-2009, 19:22
Thanks Nick & Frick. Tried on a Marmot Airflex 65, Osprey Aether 70, Arctyrex Bora 65, and Deuter Aircontact 55+10 today. All comfortable empty. Will retest with full loads. Initial opinions[/*]: Marmot too red. Arctyrex expensive & butt bump too shallow on lumbar pad. Osprey-does the pebbly lumbar pad irritate anybody? Deuter-pretty nice for price.

Wags
02-21-2009, 01:34
no on the 'pebbly lumbar pad irritating' me on my aether.

q-tip
02-21-2009, 05:04
I have a Bora 95 I used in India, not the same pack but definitely too heavy. I am using a Granite Gear Vapor Trail on my thru hike fully packed is around 32 lbs. That pack is 2.5 lbs and has served me well for 2 years. Good luck.

FamilyGuy
02-21-2009, 16:50
The Arcteryx is heavy but more feature rich than the Aether - plus it doesn't squeek at every step. The Arcteryx is build with more rugged materials (hence the weight) and can carry much higher loads with far better load stability. They are used, with Mystery Ranch packs, by both the US and CDN Armed Forces. The Arcteryx also has a much higher level of water resistance.

If you want ultra-light, then go with ultra-light and avoid the Osprey. If you want rugged, big pack (the 65L does not include the additional pockets) then go with the Arcteryx (or Mystery Ranch) and get the superior load carrying ability. The Osprey is a compromise.