PDA

View Full Version : Wiley Shelter - NY

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 11:19
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Wiley Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

DebW
11-11-2002, 17:45
I was there in June 2002. The water supply was low but adequate. The shelter is dark inside as the opening is smaller than the width of the shelter. There is a large stone fireplace just outside the shelter. The most interesting part of this shelter is the maintainer who visits a couple times every day and has been doing it for 16 years. He's left a supply of buckets, pots, rakes, grills, etc. There's even a mailbox containing backpacker mags! Some nice tent sites nearby. The privy could use a window.

2XL
03-14-2004, 16:18
Stopped by for a lunch break on March 14, 2004
Things have not changed since DebW's report. Shelter maintainer still checking in a couple times a day.
Makes night time checks around 11 pm sometimes! He does do a great job. Shelter area in very good shape, plenty of tenting areas and picnic tables. Even a tenting platform.The privy does need a window
Water source was tagged be sure to treat.

Happy Hiking

2XL

torch
03-14-2004, 22:11
I stayed at Wiley Shelter on a southbound section hikeone winter. I arrived in the evening. Someone has stuck THOUSANDS of those little reflective dots on the trees around the shelter, so if you approach the shelter at night from the north, your headlamp will shine on these things...being winter, I was alone and it spooked the snot out of me! Looked like millions of critter eyes! (Having seen a set of bear eyes starring at me a mile previous on the trail probably helped that jittery feeling along!)

whcobbs
01-26-2005, 17:06
Overnighted at this shelter, having hiked in a longish day after a late start from Morgan Stewart Shelter. The reflectors were of some use in following the trail by headlamp. No mouse preventers or other foodhangers were evident, but neither did they prove to be needed. Overnight temps were approx 0 d F, according to the provided thermometers. The handpump didn't seem to be functioning, but the boxed spring beside it was flowing vigorously, so it didn't matter anyway. Over all a pleasant cold winter night. A supply of Coleman fluid was discovered under the shelter, so we took a little as our supply was low.

The hike out the next day took us from 11 am to about 2 pm northbound to reach Bull's Bridge. The Housatonic was rampaging whitewater choked with surface ice.

Walt

stupe
01-29-2005, 21:26
I was there overnight in Sept. 04, I tarped on the tent platform. I was serenaded first by great horned owls and then by coyotes up on the ridge. It was beautiful.

Monster
08-16-2006, 14:28
Wiley is the first AT shelter I ever stayed at. It's nicely laid out, the pump being a few hundred feet North and creating a lot of traffic throughout the sight. There's also LOTS of open tent space. I stayed there a night in early August '06 while out for the weekend. There was a "grand confluence" of NOBO's and SOBO's, which was fun to observe. Plenty of room for all of us between the shelter and the plentiful tenting sights. The bummer is that you can hear the traffic on a nearby road.

copythat
10-16-2006, 19:53
nice place to stop in after conn. ... it's got a fire pit! yippee! (ct doesn't allow fires.)

but the lean-to and the grounds need some attention. pump broken. shelter run down. busted picnic tables. rain gutter bent so the rain all channels down right in front of the shelter. that kind of thing. a good work party could do nice things there in a day.

on the other hand, someone did leave a badminton set behind ...

JohnnyBongo
05-13-2008, 12:48
I spent the night there last Saturday (5/10). It has a nice privy, and a good pump. Everything appeared in good shape, including what looks like a brand spanking new bench. It is located very near a local road with some traffic noise, though I didn't see any signs of the locals abusing the place. The hike from Hurd Corners into the shelter was decent enough. It's 6 miles through the Pawling Nature Reserve, with lots of water and solitude, though no scenic vistas to speak of during the walk.

LUMP
05-14-2008, 13:03
:( I understand Bob Woodin, the shelter maintainer, did himself in a year ago.

sasquatch2014
05-14-2008, 21:48
:( I understand Bob Woodin, the shelter maintainer, did himself in a year ago.

I hadn't heard that but will be out with another AT supervisor on Friday and will try to find out if this is currently being maintained or not.

sasquatch2014
05-16-2008, 07:30
I did find out that he has passed but some relative of his is now the maintainer.

Dingus Khan
06-11-2008, 18:10
at the shelter today.
pump working, clean privy, nice new-looking picnic table.
there was a lot of junk at the site, old clothing, a jacket, about 10 various pots and pans, 6 1L water bottles, a coffee mug etc...
packed out what i could but was limited in space so there is plenty left...

Tin Man
06-11-2008, 18:13
at the shelter today.
there was a lot of junk at the site, old clothing, a jacket, about 10 various pots and pans, 6 1L water bottles, a coffee mug etc...

Um, I think all the "junk" is always there (meaning the pots and pans and mug). part of the charm of that particular shelter.

2XL
06-11-2008, 19:26
A lot of that stuff has been there for years. I remember an old large percolator haning on the side of the shelter, there for years also.
I think the maintainer the recently passed, liked to have stuff around for just in case a hiker was in need.
That old maintainer was at that shelter a couple times a day and would usually stop by at midnight to check on it.

1azarus
02-28-2009, 09:49
was there yesterday. sorry to say someone thought the picnic table looked like firewood and is now an ugly hulk in front of the shelter. pump works fine.

sasquatch2014
02-28-2009, 15:23
Are you saying that someone burned the picnic table? also I had heard that there was a blow down just north of the road crossing near the shelter did you notice this? I will pass the info along to the section coordinator.

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 14:26
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fd2vj3z5SFk/SarR-5sq6SI/AAAAAAAAA5I/vH49uBm7f6U/s640/DSCN0086.JPG

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 14:27
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fd2vj3z5SFk/SarR7lc_afI/AAAAAAAAA44/dV4gLp3T6l8/s640/DSCN0088.JPG

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 14:29
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fd2vj3z5SFk/SarR4xvlGNI/AAAAAAAAA4o/QVBuwD0nz6I/s640/DSCN0090.JPG

Desert Reprobate
03-01-2009, 14:29
Looks like someone's stove got away from them.

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 14:30
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fd2vj3z5SFk/SarSDdt5iDI/AAAAAAAAA5Q/4Y3lZFjGiXo/s640/DSCN0092.JPG

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 14:32
Looks like someone's stove got away from them.

I have seen enough scouts burn a spot in a picnic table. It doesn't burn clean through. Besides, there is no lack of snow around to put it out.

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 14:40
Pictures were taken today. I neglected to take the pics of the asorted Bass Ale and Guiness Stout tossed around the woods. I didn't have a garbage bag with me, so I stacked the ones I found near a tent platform.

I usually only take pics of scenic vistas and the trail, but I thought I would give maintainers a heads up and others a view of what happens at shelters built too close to the road. This one is 0.2 miles off Duell Hollow Road near the NY/CT border.

sasquatch2014
03-01-2009, 20:46
Thanks I'll send the pic on to the NYNJ Trail conference. That was one of the new picnic tables. I tell you we may need to start a bail fund. This area of the trail is also where my car was broken into about 2 years ago. If I find these little bastards that keep doing this **** I swear to god they will learn how to crawl along the trail back to their cars with broken legs with me kicking them in the ass the whole time.

Manwich
03-01-2009, 20:51
Cousin-in-law of mine remarked a week ago that they knew of some kids who 'go there to party' who go to the marvelwood school in Kent CT. Not sure they're the beer drinking crowd though. I'll ask some questions.

High Life
03-01-2009, 21:14
ive been there twice and i saw drop down the hill to ten mile river
its a short and easy trip to ten mile river . looks really dirty and trashed
and in 2007 there was a dead turkey in the cistern ..
i think kids party there from time to time or something

le loupe
03-02-2009, 21:09
I parked at 55 on a section hike in October. When I got back to my car, a trooper was patrolling the parking area.

At least thats something...

sasquatch2014
03-02-2009, 23:46
More than likely he was just turning around as you are right at the state line.

sasquatch2014
03-04-2009, 12:53
Spoke with area supervisor. Sounds like the table was burnt sometime around New Years. They are aware of it and have plans for the table to be rebuilt. Thanks guys for letting me know about this so I could pass it on.

Frick Frack
03-04-2009, 13:09
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Wiley Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Ughhh....Wiley Shelter....

We had planned to stay there on our SOBO last year and arrived to a bunch of kids partying. They all ran to the shelter and claimed it so that we would not stay there (not that we wanted to after seeing/hearing them). They were all from the Bronx (And VERY obnoxious!) and had never been out in the woods but thought it would be "cool" and took the train to the AT then hiked up. We stealthed on pass the shelter up on Hammersley Ridge and passed all their discarded stuff along the way (suitcases, bags of food, tolietries, clothes). Their stuff was strung out all the way to the train station. A section hiker that passed by our camp the next morning said he had to deal with the partying all night, a girl crying, and another girl getting sick (from drinking too much). Ughhhh......

High Life
03-04-2009, 13:27
Ten mile river is the place to go ..the shelter is disgusting and should be removed IMHO....

sasquatch2014
04-12-2009, 08:03
I was just there last night and brought a load of od up as I thought that the hiker i met last night at the Telephone Pioneer Shelter might have been there. I figured a nice fire of dry wood after hiking in the rain all day may have been the right ticket. He wasn't there but two other hiker were.
Hill

The maintainer who covers from NY 55 south of Nuclear Lake to Depot Hill the dirt rd just north of the Morgan stewart Shelter was there. He was replacing the picnic table that was burnt this past Jan. While the shelter is one of the old ones it is looking fairly clean.

Tin Man
04-12-2009, 08:16
I was just there last night and brought a load of od up as I thought that the hiker i met last night at the Telephone Pioneer Shelter might have been there. I figured a nice fire of dry wood after hiking in the rain all day may have been the right ticket. He wasn't there but two other hiker were.
Hill

The maintainer who covers from NY 55 south of Nuclear Lake to Depot Hill the dirt rd just north of the Morgan stewart Shelter was there. He was replacing the picnic table that was burnt this past Jan. While the shelter is one of the old ones it is looking fairly clean.

fairly clean? what were you drinking?? :D

wiley is a pit

Manwich
04-12-2009, 10:51
sasquatch2014 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=13750), im gonna be there on saturday, is there a fair amount of wood layin around?

mikec
04-12-2009, 12:57
Wiley was one of the shelters that I tented next to instead of sleeping in back in 2003. It's obviously seen better days. Any plans to replace it?

Tin Man
04-12-2009, 14:09
sasquatch2014 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=13750), im gonna be there on saturday, is there a fair amount of wood layin around?

unless someone carried it out in the last 3-4 weeks, there is a huge pile of logs and plenty of smaller stuff in the area. just don't burn the picnic table that was previously burned and then repaired.

Tin Man
04-12-2009, 14:12
unless someone carried it out in the last 3-4 weeks, there is a huge pile of logs and plenty of smaller stuff in the area. just don't burn the picnic table that was previously burned and then repaired.

forgot I posted a pic of the wood - #22 above... might be a little green yet, but I am sure you will have no problem building a fire.

if you are hiking into CT, on the other had, fires are prohibited along the AT and at campsites

sasquatch2014
04-13-2009, 08:59
fairly clean? what were you drinking?? :D

wiley is a pit

Now don't confuse dark, old, cluttered and run down for dirty. I guess I should have said that it was picked up and no trash other than the shelter itself.

sasquatch2014
04-13-2009, 09:02

There is the stuff that was cut but it is all still very wet and very large to burn easily. You will need to hunt and peck it is pretty picked clean around there. I would think that if you went down from the tent areas over that steep hill you will find stuff most folks are too lazy to haul wood even 10ft up hill. They would rather haul it 1/4 mile down hill.

bobophbphoto
04-13-2009, 10:43
Picnic table fixed by AMC member. Site in good condition.

Manwich
04-14-2009, 10:29
Excellent news to hear, many thanks to them

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 17:53
thats good they fixed it quickly

traildust
04-14-2009, 18:11
amazingly sad.

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 18:14
I understand that im a little young to be saying this but i have to get it out. Kids are selfish these days. I know im young to be saying that but i mean common do the kids really have to burn a picnic table. Is it fun or something

traildust
04-14-2009, 18:18
There is wisdom in youth sometimes OutwardBoundbackpack. Glad to see it is again fixed. Thanks to the trail maintainers and others who got it done.

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 19:20
lets just hope they dont burn it again

sasquatch2014
04-15-2009, 14:09
From the burn pattern and talking to the maintainer who was up there fixing it that day it almost looks like it was started accidently. One more case possibly of an alcohol stove getting away from someone. While it may have started that way it appears no attempt was made to put it out after it got going.

This time of year when shelters are not crowded up here I have seen a lot of folks cook in the shelter. Aside from the issue of bear activity the fact that your place where you plan to sleep now smells like a TV dinner for bears there is always the risk for fire. While the loss of a picnic table is an inconvenience to hike all day in cold wet conditions planning on a shelter to come to a pile or charred timbers would down right suck. Play it safe, Smokey the bear will appreciate it.

Manwich
04-15-2009, 14:51
Started Accidentally?

Oh man, If I rolled my eyes any harder, I'da had an aneurysm.

sasquatch2014
04-16-2009, 12:10
Take a closer look at the pics of the burned table and look at the burn patterns and where it burned. If I were to burn a table I would light it from the bottom and let it burn up not start it on the flat top surface. Either way they did noting to put it out which then makes it purposeful.

XCskiNYC
09-14-2009, 17:56
Like they say. The most dangerous shelters are those closest to a road.

Tin Man
09-14-2009, 20:30
This shelter is a pit and the shelter should be torn down and replaced with tenting spots, maybe further from the road. Waste to maintain wooden structures near roads.

Old Grouse
09-14-2009, 21:12
I must sadly agree, it's the least appealing shelter I've seen on this stretch of the AT.

sasquatch2014
09-15-2009, 07:38
I am not a big fan of this shelter myself. It does not help that it had been with out a maintainer for almost a full year. From what I heard recently the area supervisor has now found someone to do this and if not I know of someone else that will be willing to step up to the plate. It needs a bunch of work and has been neglected for a while. I hope that whoever takes on the task can make this thing really turn around. Maybe in the early spring we can do a work weekend there and get it looking better for next "season".

XCskiNYC
10-08-2009, 16:18
Ughhh....Wiley Shelter....

We had planned to stay there on our SOBO last year and arrived to a bunch of kids partying. They all ran to the shelter and claimed it so that we would not stay there (not that we wanted to after seeing/hearing them). They were all from the Bronx (And VERY obnoxious!) and had never been out in the woods but thought it would be "cool" and took the train to the AT then hiked up. We stealthed on pass the shelter up on Hammersley Ridge and passed all their discarded stuff along the way (suitcases, bags of food, tolietries, clothes). Their stuff was strung out all the way to the train station. A section hiker that passed by our camp the next morning said he had to deal with the partying all night, a girl crying, and another girl getting sick (from drinking too much). Ughhhh......

The idea that kids from the Bronx even KNOW about the AT, much less that they'll jump on the train (and the Fordham stop is 15 minutes closer to the AT than Grand Central) and hike 5.6 miles to get to it well, that just makes me glad the AT stop is only open on weekends. Though if they got from the Bronx to the AT, they might be clever enough to get to it from Pawling too.

Anyway, as of Tuesday (06 Oct 09) night the shelter was in good shape, the inside stayed dry in a pretty decent downpour and the fire enclosure is even closer to the shelter than at Telephone Pioneers (nice for getting a little bit of warmth off the fire on those chilly Fall nights).

If you're into fires and heading NOBO, this is your last chance to have one legal until MA.

There's a Ms. Susan Geisler who signs into the log as the volunteer supervisor. That's definitely the right last name, first name on an IIRC basis only.

It's really a pleasant spot. One possible improvement might be a sign to alert SOBO's of the path they want to take (a left turn in front of the fire enclosure). Some people miss the little white arrow pointing to the left on the fireplace and take a right, leading to the Thru-Hike to the Privy.

copythat
10-18-2009, 18:27
at the shelter today.

one man's ceiling ...

Sarcasm the elf
03-05-2010, 01:56
Spent an overnight here in mid-December '09 as a winter camping refresher (I hadn't gone in several years). Had a peaceful night in a solid shelter, however the several empty vodka bottles stashed under the site made me glad that I was there in weather that was cold enough to keep the less responsible crowd away.
It was a great night with temperatures in the mid-teens complete with heavy snow, a small fire and the company of a very vocal owl who proved to be quite entertaining.

All in all a great night.

wystiria
05-10-2010, 14:39
Stopped in for a break from the rain on Saturday 5/8 - there was a vagrant set up there with a pretty friendly but jumping shepherd. The guy set off my gut and we moved on pretty fast. The privy is in the good condition and the shelter was not leaking. We didn't check the pump as we didn't need water.

sasquatch2014
05-10-2010, 16:35
Stopped in for a break from the rain on Saturday 5/8 - there was a vagrant set up there with a pretty friendly but jumping shepherd. The guy set off my gut and we moved on pretty fast. The privy is in the good condition and the shelter was not leaking. We didn't check the pump as we didn't need water.

Thanks for posting I'll try and swing by and check things out in the next day or so. When this happens there can be tons of trash and junk left behind sometimes. I'll pass word on to the maintainer.

NJ2R
05-10-2010, 22:50
My son and girlfriend arrived there Saturday evening 5/8/10 after dark and the fellow was described as having shaggy hair, Tom Sawyer hat and trench coat was there with his hungry but friendly dog. They tented as they didn't feel comfortable in the shelter. The dog was more than happy to be fed.

Tin Man
05-11-2010, 04:34
This pit of a shelter needs to be burned to the ground and replaced with a tent site further from the road. Vagrant problem solved.

Kneegrinder
08-20-2010, 13:59
Was just there a week ago. The tenting sites are good and there is a new picnic table but the shelter itself is kind of a dump with a platform that vibrates and is not flat. The pump has a bad check valve so you have to pump very fast to maintain a column of water and get a flow. It's really a two person operation but you can actually get some water after about 3 minutes of pumping. On the other hand, there is a perfectly good stream about a half mile northbound and an excellent pump at 10 Mile Shelter about 4 miles north. If you can make it stop at 10 Mile Shelter instead. It's near the river and looks out on a field and is one of the best!

Old Grouse
08-20-2010, 16:50
Poor Wiley. It suffers so in comparison to Ten Mile! It must be like rooming with a Victoria's Secret model. Unless, of course, you're a guy.

rangetravelblog
11-05-2014, 00:36
I was there at the end of October, and they had just put a new floor in the shelter. I'm not sure if they were rebuilding anything else. The well was in working condition too. I put some pictures up at http://rangetravelblog.com/nyc-at-nov-14/.

linus72
11-05-2014, 11:13
I was there a few weeks ago for some quick overnight outdoor therapy. Everything seemed to be in decent shape - privy, shelter, pump. I didn't see any of the damage in these old photos. The book library is a nice touch too. But to be fair, I tented, and did not stay in the shelter. But my issue was one of noisy company. And I'm not talking about the coyotes that were howlin all night...they are my friends! I enjoyed the company of one other hiker who was there when I arrived around dusk. We both retired to our tents around 830...Now I don't know if the situation I am going to describe was because of proximity to road - I don't think so in this case. For me that made it convenient for a quick getaway as little hiking time was required to get there...and I kinda expected at least one or two quasi-car campers to show because of it. But these 2 loud 4+ person groups rolled in waaay after hiker midnight - 11pm and 1am respectively. From their barreling conversation as they came in and continued to shine their headlamps for an hour every which way while setting up tents, eating dinner and conversing, they seemed to have been hiking a significant distance. I was thinking maybe with the nice weather and leaf color starting to peak, that Ten Mile river was overrun with scouts and other large numbers, so they carried on the extra 4 miles to Wiley. Either way, despite their recognition of the two tents setup and dark when they came in, it didn't seem to affect their behavior and noise level, which is a shame because they kept me, and I'm sure the other hiker, up most of the night. I got nothing against people being excited to be out there enjoying nature, but for gods sake, a trail campsite, especially one occupied by others, is not a party spot. Save that for your state park, if you must. I'm not going to lie, while I did my best to practice what I preach and what I always try to do and quietly pack up at sunrise, I gained a little satisfaction hearing them shuffle around in their tent as I was doing so. Maybe if they hadn't set up their two giant tents right next to the shelter and blocking the path to the privy, they wouldn't have heard me and my stealth breakdown of camp! Regardless, it was great to be out on the trail, as it always is, short trip or long.

linus72
11-05-2014, 12:01
I think they must have replaced the floors a few weeks after I was there... didn't mean to sound negative, looking forward to taking my son there for his first backpacking trip. And those noisy neighbors can happen anywhere unfortunately. It seems to be regularly maintained and repaired, and lots of things are kept there to benefit hikers, so kudos to the maintainer.

coach lou
11-05-2014, 17:22
This shelter has new caretakers, Martin 'The Edge' Hunley and his wife. Great folks and looking to do good stuff for the AT. The Shelter repair was done by a young Scout for his Eagle project. This place WAS a dump, and I never wanted to go back. You will see that the place now has a new lease on life. And tent platforms!

Way to go Marty!

linus72
05-02-2015, 14:33
was back last weekend and the improvements are very nice, thanks to the maintainers! had a great time, even with the 30 degree night. had the place to ourselves. what i wouldn't do to be out there this weekend!

NJdreamer
10-13-2015, 20:39
A few of us stayed at Wiley shelter last week. It has cooking pans and racks on the side of the shelter, plus a bottle of cooking oil in the trail mailbox. This shelter also has a Little Library! To whomever set that up, thank you! I borr32294owed a book for a few hours. 32293

offgriddreamer
04-23-2017, 21:03
I am thinking about hiking in from Hoyt parking area to tent out at Wiley next month. I'll be on my way to central Massachusetts from south of Baltimore, MD, so wanted to get a little bit of the AT south of the CT-NY line, since I am already doing MA/CT this fall. Is there a bear box/pole or good hanging trees there? Most likely, I'll grab dinner in Wingdale, hike and tent then pack up in the morning to hike back to my car and get breakfast in Kent or somewhere on the road. So, I may not even need to worry about bear stuff!

linus72
04-24-2017, 09:16
no bear box or bear lines. a few decent trees for hanging bear bag. its less than a mile and a half to the campsite from hoyt rd, with another road even closer. nice little view from the campsites.

LIhikers
07-18-2018, 22:55
I was at Wiley shelter last weekend.
The water pump is working fine, the shelter kept people dry in a pouring rain, but there's a widow maker hanging over one of the two tent platforms.
There are a few other spots to set up tents, tarps, or hammocks, but not a lot.

Mouser999
01-14-2019, 13:18
I was at Wiley on 1/11/18. There was no pump for water, only the stream, sign stating to treat water. One tent platform has broken board, other platform ok. No bear box or register. Privey was in good shape. Took out the trash in the fire pit. Shelter was in good shape.

Sarcasm the elf
01-14-2019, 15:07
I was at Wiley on 1/11/18. There was no pump for water, only the stream, sign stating to treat water. One tent platform has broken board, other platform ok. No bear box or register. Privey was in good shape. Took out the trash in the fire pit. Shelter was in good shape.

The pump was in place and in good working order the weekend of 12/8/18. Did you have any company when you were there? When I was there last month temperatures were in the teens and we assumed we’d have the place to ourselves, but by nightfall there were nearly a dozen people at the site.

Mouser999
01-15-2019, 09:37
There was a cover over wherr the water was flowing, is that where the pump should be? There was a wooden sign pointing down to water source. I just went on short hike for planning purposes this summer. There were a lot of deer. Someone hoisted a water bottle up a tree and its stiil there, the rope they were using broke. Didn't look like anyone was there recently.

Gambit McCrae
01-15-2019, 10:13
I stayed here in the fall of 2017. Best trip of my life. Learned how to use platforms with a non freestanding tent.

Deacon
01-16-2019, 11:05
I stayed here in the fall of 2017. Best trip of my life. Learned how to use platforms with a non freestanding tent.

Exactly. I carry eight tiny brass screw eyes to secure the tie outs. I’m sure you do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

coach lou
01-16-2019, 11:12
Exactly. I carry eight tiny brass screw eyes to secure the tie outs. I’m sure you do the same.

I carry 4 screw hooks and 2 eyelets when I know I'll be in tent-platform country.

steve_zavocki
01-16-2019, 11:48
Good memories. I stayed here on a section hike this past Sept 8 on the first day of Pawling to Great Barrington section. Only one other older gentleman there who was also a section hiker. Didn't use water pump. Used the tent platform. Area was clean and well maintained. I left at 5AM the next morning and appreciated the reflectors on the trees in addition to the blazes.

Gambit McCrae
01-16-2019, 12:31

I do not actually. I take my Sheppard hooks and thread my guylines in between the cracks in two bourse. Has worked very well thus far.

Just Tom
04-19-2022, 18:35
Looking for a water quality update here. I'm starting to do some NY sections and noticed that the guthook comments in the past talk about contaminated water. Anyone have any insights?

Sent from my ASUS_I006D using Tapatalk

justhike
04-19-2022, 22:31
I hike past the Wiley shelter on a regular basis. The well pump (now disabled along with others) was posted several years ago with a sign that the water 'could be contaminated and should be treated'. It seemed to me it was the precursor to the clubs deciding to disable the wells - a well pump is considered a drinking water source, but if it isn't being tested regularly then it can't be used as such.

The spring that supplied that well is flowing very well right now and is easy to collect (it will get lower as summer progresses). It flows directly across the trail north of the shelter, below the disabled pump. Filter or treat it like you would any other source. IMO it is perfectly fine as a water source and I know that hikers have and continue to use it.