PDA

View Full Version : Mont-Bell Bag? Maybe?

nhlfan
02-20-2009, 10:41
Hey All, first post here!

Just moved from Indiana to Northern Virginia, can hit the AT via Sky Meadows State Park, only about 30 minutes from my house, so you can say I'm in heaven! I am in the market for a light bag, I have a Kelty that I use when I go canoe camping up in the Boundary Waters, but it's a bit bulky and heavy, and would like something that can pack small an light.

I am a bigger guy, muscularly, with a 54" chest. Hey, I play rugby, what can I say! Anyway, I am wanting a bag that will be comfortable, and I found the Mont-Bell Super-Stretch bags, and they look like they would fit the ticket, but I obviously can't go try one out at REI! Any recommendations for these bags, for a bigger guy? I also saw the Big Agnes bags, but have read mixed reviews about the issue of relying on the pad to give you insulation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

kanga
02-20-2009, 10:52
i've wanted one for quite awhile but had the same problem with not being able to try it out first, especially since it costs so much. luckily, my darling roots let me try out hers on a hike awhile back. only thing i can say is buy it! it was heaven in the form of down. it was warm as all get out, super light, and it was so roomy (slightly claustrophobic and don't like being confined so i've never chosen mummy before). there were no reservations for me once i'd gotten in it.

Sly
02-20-2009, 11:29
I checked most bags and if I'm not mistaken the Montbell super stretch has the widest girth (70.9"- 75.6" depending on length). Make sure to get the proper length, the regular is to 5'10" long to 6' 4"

Tagless
02-20-2009, 13:07
Ditto to Kanga's advice! It's a great bag and you won't be displeased with the purchase. I have two Montbell SS bags - a 15 degree bag for winter and a 40 degree summer bag. I could be happier both. Both are lighter than comparable BA temp bags.

nhlfan
02-20-2009, 14:54
I checked most bags and if I'm not mistaken the Montbell super stretch has the widest girth (70.9"- 75.6" depending on length). Make sure to get the proper length, the regular is to 5'10" long to 6' 4"

I am 5'10", would it be OK to get the longer bag for the added girth? Not sure if the extra room at the foot would be a bad thing or not? I could always stuff some clothes or something down there I suppose?

Sly
02-20-2009, 14:57
I am 5'10", would it be OK to get the longer bag for the added girth? Not sure if the extra room at the foot would be a bad thing or not? I could always stuff some clothes or something down there I suppose?

If your 5' 10" I'd get the longer bag. They have a draw string in the last baffle that allows you to push the bag inside itself and shorten it. Thy're awesome bags.

optimator
02-20-2009, 15:15
Go for it, I'm another MontBell fan. I have the #2 and it's awesome...

Montana AT05
02-20-2009, 15:59
They are excellent bags. The Stretch system works.

I have two of the them, 15 degree and 32 degree. They are WARM! Get the long version.

You have a 94% chance of being pleased with a Montbell bag.

Ya, I did the math.

nhlfan
02-20-2009, 16:14
OK, I guess you've all talked me into it. Going to order one today. I am thinking of getting a 15 degree for the early-spring, late fall hikes, then if I like it I will spring for a lighter weight one later on.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Oh, and if I don't care for it, I'm going to blame all of you :p

Peace!

Sly
02-20-2009, 16:16
OK, I guess you've all talked me into it. Going to order one today. I am thinking of getting a 15 degree for the early-spring, late fall hikes, then if I like it I will spring for a lighter weight one later on.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Oh, and if I don't care for it, I'm going to blame all of you :p

Peace!

Shop around. Prolightgear.com often has them on sale.

kanga
02-20-2009, 16:23

Peace!

get the 0* and then if you don't like it you can send it to me and make me suffer. just sayin'.

kanga
02-20-2009, 16:26
hey, be aware too that they come in 650 fill and 800 fill.

kanga
02-20-2009, 16:27
cheapest on 650 at campsaver right now:

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp?GroupCode=mtb0008&MatrixType=1

nhlfan
02-20-2009, 16:31
cheapest on 650 at campsaver right now:

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp?GroupCode=mtb0008&MatrixType=1

LOL, just ordered that I about 2 minutes ago, not bad for 2nd day shipping either, only like 12 bucks or something. Going to test it out in a two-nighter solo March 6-7 on the AT, just a little hike while my wife and kids will be gone. Thanks again for all the advice, I'll let you know how I like it. Now time to pick a pad! I have a full-size thermrest that, again, I use for canoe camping, but am thinking about the prolite line. Any advice on that end?

kanga
02-20-2009, 16:37
i've had a regular thermarest for going on 15 yrs with only two patches, but after listing their new stuff for $150 and up they can kiss my big white bertha butt. i'm doing my research now. btw, there's a semi-informative, very entertaining thread around here somewhere right now on thermarests. nothing wrong with my old one so i guess i'll stay there for a while.

optimator
02-20-2009, 16:52
LOL, just ordered that I about 2 minutes ago, not bad for 2nd day shipping either, only like 12 bucks or something. Going to test it out in a two-nighter solo March 6-7 on the AT, just a little hike while my wife and kids will be gone. Thanks again for all the advice, I'll let you know how I like it. Now time to pick a pad! I have a full-size thermrest that, again, I use for canoe camping, but am thinking about the prolite line. Any advice on that end?

Big Agnes insulated air core :banana

nhlfan
02-20-2009, 17:10
Any specfic one? How do they inflate, do you blow them up or are they self-inflatable? I know a lot of people seem to swear by those 2.5" thick ones. Do they pack small?

optimator
02-20-2009, 17:14
Any specfic one? How do they inflate, do you blow them up or are they self-inflatable? I know a lot of people seem to swear by those 2.5" thick ones. Do they pack small?

Mines a 20x78x2.5. Yeah, you gotta blow them up. But it only takes 10 -15 puffs on it to get it where I like it. It packs down a little bigger than a nalgene. It's heavy at 27 oz, but to me it's worth it for the sleep it let's me get.

nhlfan
02-20-2009, 17:35
Mines a 20x78x2.5. Yeah, you gotta blow them up. But it only takes 10 -15 puffs on it to get it where I like it. It packs down a little bigger than a nalgene. It's heavy at 27 oz, but to me it's worth it for the sleep it let's me get.

Thanks for the input. I am thinking of getting one, I compared the BA mummy sized pad and the prolite 4, looks like the BA is a bit lighter and packs a bit smaller, plus 1 inch thicker! So I may go with that!

Jaybird62
02-20-2009, 17:53

I'll second that suggestion. I am a side sleeper, 6'3", 250lbs., and can sleep without my hips touchin the ground. Great Pad.

Egads
02-20-2009, 19:58
You can't go wrong with the Mont Bell UL super stretch down hugger

nhlfan
02-20-2009, 20:38

Well that's good, mine will be here on Monday! Am excited to try it out in a couple of weeks.

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 18:07
I like it. My last bag was a Western Mountaineering. They are pricey. The Montbell I got is an Alpine Burrow #3 long. I am under 6' and am glad I got the long. I need room to move at night without confinement. Alpine Burrow is the gathered quilt construction bag and I have not noticed any constriction at all. I have slept in it 3 nights and love it. The materials and quality are very good. The zipper does not snag as easily as the WM bag. The hood seemed wierd at first, but I really like the way it fits. It takes a little time to get accustomed to having the bag 'snug' around your body. The elastic seams are noticeable, but after I fall asleep there is not an issue with it. Overall I am very satisfied with mine. Can't wait to test it in the woods.

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 18:11
Most likely you will not want to stuff anything in the bottom of the long - it should fit 5'10'' really well.
Remember - it is made in China for a Japanese company - 5'10'' is a giant.

FatMan
02-21-2009, 18:18
This fat ol' guy uses the UL Super Stretch #2 and it is great. The lightest big bag that actually fits that I have ever owned.

buz
02-22-2009, 12:11
Two comments: I have the ulss#2 800 fill. Great bag * will like it, good thing you got the #1, because in my opinion, if you are big guy, and stretch the bags out, they are a little optimistic in their ratings. So I would say, you have a nice warm 20 degree bag. I am slender guy, and my #2 is conservative, have used below 20 no problems.

For me, the BA insulated air core, which I own, is great pad to about 30 degrees. Below that temp, it is giant heat sucker that I need to supplement with some closed cell pad. I like that pad, just have to pay attention to thermometer.

Blissful
02-23-2009, 00:37

I just ordered the #1 ul down hugger yesterday. Backcountry.com honored campsaver's discount, since I like to buy from them.

chicote
02-24-2009, 12:35
Plus 1 for MontBell My wife and I used them on our 07 thru. Lovem! The drawcord at the bottom was perfect for her she's only 5 feet tall. I used the long. We both could sit indian style.

As for the BA insulated air core. Just make sure that you are ready to blow air into it at the end of a long day. On my thru I got tired of doing that. I had the BA Pump Sack as well... it worked okay but still nothing beats the self inflating ones like the Prolite 3 and fours – my personal take. ( I need some serious grammar and punctuation lessons)

nhlfan
02-24-2009, 15:05
OK, just got my bag today, and from first impressions on the floor in my bedroom, it is PERECT! I can actually sleep on my side in it comfortably! This is the first time I've felt comfortable in a mummy-style bag. And talk about compact! I am taking it out next weekend for a 1 or 2 dayer, and it should be pretty chilly at night, so I'll update you all then. I did end up going with the pro-lite 4. I have had good luck with my other thermarest pad, so I got the regular PL4, hope I can make that last 5 years like my other one! Thanks again for all the advice, I think I made the right choice. I also got the Reactor Thermolite liner for the bag as well, just to help keep it clean, and as noted above, if I stretch it out (I tend to sleep with my legs bent), the liner may help keep that temp rating in the 10-15 degree range. Anyway, thanks again, will let you all know how it performs in a couple weeks!

Peace

optimator
02-24-2009, 15:22
OK, just got my bag today, and from first impressions on the floor in my bedroom, it is PERECT! I can actually sleep on my side in it comfortably! This is the first time I've felt comfortable in a mummy-style bag. And talk about compact! I am taking it out next weekend for a 1 or 2 dayer, and it should be pretty chilly at night, so I'll update you all then. I did end up going with the pro-lite 4. I have had good luck with my other thermarest pad, so I got the regular PL4, hope I can make that last 5 years like my other one! Thanks again for all the advice, I think I made the right choice. I also got the Reactor Thermolite liner for the bag as well, just to help keep it clean, and as noted above, if I stretch it out (I tend to sleep with my legs bent), the liner may help keep that temp rating in the 10-15 degree range. Anyway, thanks again, will let you all know how it performs in a couple weeks!

Peace

What? You thought all of us MB fans lied to you? :eek: You'll love that bag even more as time goes on :banana

nhlfan
02-24-2009, 20:56
What? You thought all of us MB fans lied to you? :eek: You'll love that bag even more as time goes on :banana

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about it. Coming from a canoe camping background, I never really obsessed over my bag weight before. I am looking at this bag wondering how in the world it's going to keep me warm at night when it can roll up to just bigger than a nalgene!

Sly
02-24-2009, 21:26
Rather than stuff it to it's smallest size, I recommend a Sea-to-Summit 13 liter Ultra-Sil stuff sack. Not only will it keep it dry it, will allow the bag to compress around your other gear.

nhlfan
03-07-2009, 14:23
OK, just got back from my overnighter, from Sky Meadows SP to Dick's Dome Shelter. Nice little 6 miler, except for the 1500' climb from the parking lot at Sky Meadows up to the AT!

Anyway, review of the shelter in the shelter forum. The pad and bag both worked wonderfully! No slipping around on the mat, unlike my other TR, and the bag was actually too warm, slept with it zipped down to be arm pits most of the night! Will be buying a couple more MB bags in the near future, I love the weight, the warmth, the compact size, just a great bag all around. The prolite 4 pad was warm and comfortable, no noticable slippage, and packs nice and small. Had read some posts about people not being able to roll it small enough to get in the stuff sack, but I just took the time and made sure to roll it properly and didn't have any problems.

Anyway, I would recommend this bag to anyone in the market! Pad as well, although one of the newer TR may be even better. Maybe I'll pass this on to the wife :-)

Peace.

Powder River
03-08-2009, 22:09
Anyway, I would recommend this bag to anyone in the market! Pad as well, although one of the newer TR may be even better. Maybe I'll pass this on to the wife :-)

Peace.

That's what I would do! Can't hurt having two pads...

I have a U.L. Down Hugger #7 (50 degrees) for summer, and love it. When I need to go back to my WM 20 degree bag for colder weather, it is very constricting. I would buy from this line again, for other temps. (0 degree is next)

jbrecon2
12-03-2009, 13:26
any advice on synthetic vs down, 650 fill vs. 800? there is a HUGE price difference!!

Lyle
12-03-2009, 16:54
Probably would be better to start a new thread - will get more responses. Here is the short version of an answer:

Synthetic - not as light for equal warmth, does not compress as small as down, will not last as long as down, is cheaper, some function even if soaked, dries quicker.

Down - The higher the loft (500, 600, 800, etc), the lighter it will be for equal warmth; no insulation value if soaked, but it is difficult to actually soak a bag, so this is not really as big of deal as some will have you believe; more expensive, much more expensive in some cases, will last a life-time if properly cared for; takes a long time to dry.

Any of them can be a great bag, depends entirely on what your particular priorities are.

slow
12-04-2009, 01:34
Just watch for underfill,it happens with this so called high end bag:eek:.