PDA

View Full Version : Catch and dehydrate

hootyhoo
02-20-2009, 19:41
The trout may have recovered enough from recent droughts to make it worth paying 35.00 to the supreme gods of tennessee for permission to catch fish in a stream.
Some call it a trout stamp - to me its a food stamp.
I love to eat them on backpacking trips and I love to drop them in the cooler and bring home to the grill after a day trip of fishing.
Some disagree. But then they are the ones most likely to patronize the local fly shop (Little River Outfitters) (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/) that advertises nationwide about how great the fishing is and draws the huge crowds to places where I once fished alone. So bite me.

If I catch some 16- 18 inch trout and desire to dry them, what would be the best way to go about. I do not have a smoker. I could get a little one at Walmart, I guess.
Should I catch them, clean them, and put them on ice? Then take them home and put them right on the smoker. Or do I even need a smoker?

the goat
02-20-2009, 23:49
i hate the government as much as the next guy.... hell, more than the next guy.

however, if you're catching fish that are stocked & maintained by the state gov't, then you get what you pay for....quite literally.

but as to your question: the smoker is the only way to go.

Wise Old Owl
02-21-2009, 00:20
I concur, smoke - you don't need a smoker, follow the path of indian cooking and place it between large leaves and smoke it on a forked stick.. the old way. PM me if you need instruction,

Whiskyjo
02-21-2009, 00:34
I have never bought a trout stamp. I just flyfish the GSMNP and release what I catch 98% of the time so others can enjoy the same experience. Not defending Little River Outfitters but they all preach catch and release there. In closing after a week backpacking and flyfishing a couple of browns on a stick with a bit of lemon powder and garlic salt over a campfire is just about the best way to cook them.

snowhoe
02-21-2009, 00:58
Hootyhoo, you probably all ready know this but night fly fishing is where it is at on the Holston. There are GIANT browns to be caught at night there and living in Tennessee you can fly fish at night. If you are going to smoke the fish you catch you can build a small smoker. It is basicaly a fire pit or ring stove pipe and a small metal barrel. Look it up on line and being in Tennessee you have some great choice of wood for smoking too. If you come to Colorado you dont have to buy a trout stamp. I will be coming out to the N. Mills River in N.C. to do a little fly fishing my self. Leaving tomorrow to go to Wyoming to go fly fishing on the N. Platte Grays Reef.

lingo
02-25-2009, 19:48
Not to completely derail this thread, are there sections of the AT past Tenn. where there is any decent fishing?. I can pack a fly rod, reel, and small fly box for less than a pound. Fresh fish after a long day on the trail would be heavenly. Any ideas?