PDA

View Full Version : Durable Trail Watch

johnnybgood
02-20-2009, 22:07
Do most hikers wear watches to help coordinate their daily routines and is there a " hikers watch " that has an alarm , is waterproof and is durable without being exorbitant in price ? Is there a watch for around $ 25 or so that fits this criteria ?

Ekul
02-20-2009, 22:11
wally world 10bucks indiglo----ugh wally world

Wise Old Owl
02-20-2009, 22:16
Do most hikers wear watches to help coordinate their daily routines and is there a " hikers watch " that has an alarm , is waterproof and is durable without being exorbitant in price ? Is there a watch for around $ 25 or so that fits this criteria ?

Honest the AT and backpacking does not require a watch of any kind.

Before you spend your hard earned cash, look at your cell phone, most alarms occur under calender or tools. Try not to double up features.

Hoping to save you money.

Definatly not Timex.

Jayboflavin04
02-20-2009, 22:39
I would never buy an expensive watch. I like timex watches the best. They are reliable and do exactly what you want them to. I have had my latest timex for like 2 yrs and it works.

johnnybgood
02-20-2009, 22:39
Owl

johnnybgood
02-20-2009, 22:43
Thanks Owl...I have enough trouble with this dang laptop to worry with .

snowhoe
02-20-2009, 22:47
The beast watch ever for anything and everything is Nixon. I have one and I will never give it up.

Slo-go'en
02-20-2009, 22:49
I buy the cheapest Wally world watch I can find. Often they have them for $5.00, theres always discontiuned ones for sale. Once the battery goes dead, get a new one. Battery costs more than the watch and changing it breaks the waterproof seal. The one I have now is going on 3 years old and always rides on the back of my pack.

Only problem is I can never rememeber how to turn the darn hourly chime off!

Wise Old Owl
02-20-2009, 22:54
Thanks Owl...I have enough trouble with this dang laptop to worry with .

Well I was trying to help, I have had several bad experiences with Timex, recently. (made in China) I guess.

If you have to go that route a Gshock was recommended, but I look for watches that say 50 - meters on them, then they are waterproof.

johnnybgood
02-20-2009, 22:59
Slo-go'-en , do you set the watches' alarm to get up in the morning or do you simply use it to keep time and plan your day ?

johnnybgood
02-20-2009, 23:04
Owl , didn't mean to ruffle your feathers :D

Blissful
02-20-2009, 23:19
wally world watch all the way... :)

FritztheCat
02-21-2009, 00:23
I've got a $20.00 Casio watch that is really thin. In my limited backpacking experience, I notice that the bulky watches I've owned tend to get caught on the shoulder strap as I'm putting the pack on. I like the thin watch because it doesn't get caught in the strap and I don't bang it against stuff because I'm not used to how large the thing is. The watch gives me the time and date, illuminates, and has a stop watch. That's all I need.

My previous watch was a Timex compass watch. The thing was HUGE :eek:! I'm talking about a quarter inch off my wrist. I banged that sucker into everything that came in close contact with it and the darned compass stopped working about a month after I sunk $70.00 for it. That was an expensive lesson learned.

Dogwood
02-21-2009, 04:19

Some well made pts. by Fritzthecat and wise Old Owl. I've worn some rather expensive full featured(altimeter, compass, etc., etc. etc.) Suunto watches and much cheaper $ 25 Timex Expedition Indigo water resistant type watches on various long distance American trails and I have come to realize sometimes less is more. For an on trail AT hike during typical thru-hiker season months, most hikers can get along just fine with a cheapy type watch like I mentioned above unless there is a real need to do otherwise. I'll save my more expensive feature rich Suuntos for mountaineering and bushwacking in places like Alaska, S. America, and New Zealand.

Marta
02-21-2009, 07:49
I buy cheapish runner's watches from REI/Wal-Mart/wherever I am when the previous watch dies. The important features for me are large, clear numbers (old age eye problems), and the Indiglo feature. Day and date are useful, too. Cloth strap is important. Each watch usually last 3+ years. Eventually the band wears out and the face becomes so scratched I can't read the numbers easily, or the battery dies. Lots of hikers don't wear watches, but I do.

garlic08
02-21-2009, 08:36
I wear a watch on the trail, usually not otherwise. Just a cheap drugstore LCD watch, $10 or less, with alarm and stopwatch. I use it to get up pre-dawn sometimes, and to time my Aquamira drops. Out West, I use it more than my compass for navigation. I mark my known location on my map every hour or so, so I have a good idea of progress, if I'm heading the right way, and it keeps me alert to terrain and on the route.

Grinder
02-21-2009, 09:54
You don't need a watch during the day if you can see the sun.

I went without a watch the first two times I hiked, but found I wore my phone out checking the time. <G>. (trail time is completely different from town time or home time)

Last hike I bought a cheap watch from Wally world. It's an analog dial (with hands) I missed one detail: The phosphorescence only lasts for about 1/2 hour when it's dark.

After I got used to living on "sun time" the only time I needed the watch was to check the time during the long nights, when I woke up. This meant getting the light out to check the watch. OOOOPS!

Back to Wally-World before the nest hike this spring

Deadeye
02-21-2009, 10:06
Campmor has lots of watches, usually pretty cheap, just pick the features you want.

boarstone
02-21-2009, 10:09
$3 special at local Dollar Store, cloth stretch band...won't pinch/burn your arm...when those metal bands break...well...w/the cloth bands if they give up, you can jury-rig'em to work somewhere somehow on your arm or not.

Red Hat
02-21-2009, 10:51
I use a Timex Expedition Indiglo that I paid about $20 for 5 years ago. It's still going strong. Not especially good looking, but functional. I don't use the alarm, just the watch.

fiddlehead
02-21-2009, 11:14
You don't need a watch during the day if you can see the sun.

A good rule of thumb that i use a lot: Hold your arm straight out in front of you without bending your elbow. Make a fist and hold it up (just below) to the sun. Each fist between the sun and the horizon is one hour.

It's a general rule and i've found the sun goes faster here near the equator where i live now but that rule basically worked for me in the US, in the afternoon to judge how much daylight is left.

Get up with the light, make camp a half hour or so, before it gets dark. Who needs a watch? (besides to figure out when the post office closes)

Slo-go'en
02-21-2009, 12:52
Slo-go'-en , do you set the watches' alarm to get up in the morning or do you simply use it to keep time and plan your day ?

On rare occasions I'll use the alarm. I'm not sure why I carry a watch at all. I don't look at it very often, which is why I carry it on the back of my pack. Sometimes its nice to know exactly what time it is instead of guessing from the sun. If you know about how fast you walk, you can get an idea of how far you've gone by looking at the time if no other landmarks are available.

hopefulhiker
02-21-2009, 12:55
I used a cheap Casio wath the whole trail. It had a backlight.. I liked having a watch because you could use it to guage your distance.

Ekul
02-21-2009, 13:03
Im still a nub and sectioning will be my only outlet for a while, carrying a watch helps me determine how slow Im going and of course it doubles as a nightlight when you are trying to find the sleeping bag zipper after I have tossed and turned.

Fiddleback
02-21-2009, 13:22
For the last several years, WalMart has stocked Aquatech digital watches. I imagine they still do but I haven't checked in a couple years.

The one I'm wearing is my everyday watch and my trail watch, too. It's water resistant and features a light button, day/date, alarm, hour chime, and stop watch. It's darn near indestructible and is under $10. WalMart even offers a 1-year exchange warranty (with receipt).

FB

Blissful
02-21-2009, 14:11
$3 special at local Dollar Store, cloth stretch band...won't pinch/burn your arm...when those metal bands break...well...w/the cloth bands if they give up, you can jury-rig'em to work somewhere somehow on your arm or not.

Never got a good one there...never lasted more than a couple of months - But what do you expect?

JAK
02-21-2009, 14:28
I would like a wind up watch.

Nightwalker
02-21-2009, 14:54
Definitely not Timex.
I've got a Timex Sport 1440 that I've been wearing 24/7 for 4 years now. Hiking, sweating, showering, etc. I'll throw it away when the battery finally dies.

15.00 and the best equipment deal that I've had.

Got it at the Big K, BTW, not the place that half the folks here hate and half love. :)

theinfamousj
02-21-2009, 16:22
Even if the band breaks on your watch, you can turn it in to a pocket watch. Using a bit of kite string, you can attach it to the Dring on your pack's shoulder strap.

Even better, check FreeCycle (.com) or your local Craig's List for folks who are ready to throw out the watch of your dreams because it has a broken strap. Keep it out of the landfill. Help to LNT in society, too!

Nearly Normal
02-21-2009, 20:20
http://www.shepherdswatch.com/catalog/jewelry-lines/ring-series

sticks&stones
02-21-2009, 21:21
it's kind of funny, given all the technology of today, something as simple as the freedom of chucking a wrist watch, back on my first AT thru hike, was liberating.

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 21:23
It is years old now and still works great. The digital compass is easy to calibrate (at battery change) and is always accurate. Has 3 alarms, timer (that I set to 5 min so I know aquamira is ready - its an ADD thing), backlight, .... and some other stuff I never use. It was 50.00. Batteries would last a long time, but I wear mine on left wrist and that casues the backlight to be pushed when the wrist is bent (sometimes). So battery life is not all that great for me. If some dude walks up to you, wearing a watch, and says "what time ya got?'' -- its me.

johnnybgood
02-21-2009, 22:05
How large is Timex hootyhoo ?, cause I like the idea that it also has a digital compass thats accurate plus alarms , backlight , and other stuff . Where did you buy it ? < > Dude..."what time ya got ?"

Nearly Normal
02-22-2009, 02:33
use your cell phone.

SunnyWalker
02-22-2009, 23:04
I purchase an outdoor one at Wal-Mart or a similar store. Then I keep it in my pack and hardly ever look at it. On days I need to I pull it out. I try to keep it "hidden" away as I am trying to relax. For me part of relaxation and having fun is not living by the clock, no telephone ringing and no computer sitting in front of me on a desk. sorry to diverse here from the subject. Watches??? Go realistically cheapo, when it breaks get another. If you need to spend a LOT then pick up latest Backpacker Mag. THEY will have high cost watches advertised. (I don't mean to insult BP, I am a subscriber.)

beerandpizza
02-22-2009, 23:28
g shock mudman...but i'm leaving it at home. wife's taking her baby G

Panzer1
02-23-2009, 00:08
I always bring a watch but I don't wear it because it catches on my shoulder strap when I try to put my pack on. So I've removed the wrist strap and carry just the watch body in my pants pocket.

Also I don't like the idea of using my phone as a clock when on the trail. It just wears out the phone battery faster. Its OK if your just out for a day or 2, but on a longer trip, conserving your phone batteries is high priority.

Panzer

leprechaun
02-23-2009, 00:37
I use a Casio G-Shock, and have for 8 years. Replaced the battery once, taken it SCUBA diving, rock climbing, backpacking, military manuevers, or anything else I have done in that time. Totally bombproof little thing.

Gumbi
02-23-2009, 10:58
I use a Timex Expedition Indiglo that I paid about $20 for 5 years ago. It's still going strong. Not especially good looking, but functional. I don't use the alarm, just the watch.

+1! I always wear my Timex expedition. 3+ years without having to change the battery!

Gumbi
02-23-2009, 10:59
Dude..."what time ya got ?"

Dude! Time for you to get a watch!

Kerosene
02-23-2009, 13:15
Definatly not Timex.Don't know about that, as my basic plastic waterproof digital pre-cursor to the Indiglo keeps chugging along after 23 years!

calculating infinity
02-23-2009, 13:17
timex camper is probably my favorite watch, but it doesnt have an alarm since i dont really believe in alarms.

Turtle2
02-23-2009, 21:58
I bought a $3 watch from Fred's, removed the band and had it hanging on my shoulder strap. Light weight too! Less than 1 oz. 'Course I dropped it between the floor and wall of the Eliza Brook Shelter early one morning.....look for a hint of orange along the back right wall under the floor.