PDA

View Full Version : Trangia Mini 28 Observations

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 10:16
Someone asked me what the weight was on this stove--- Here's the answer....
As it comes from the store - 12 ounces on my scale. That weight is with a new, never used burner and a slightly soiled ?windshield?.REI lists it at 12.18 (if you add it yourself). Windshield - I call it a burner holder, because that is about all it does. But I also noted that it operated better when in that holder - the heat seems to be retained and it burned better. I also noted that when cooking delicate items like pancakes and eggs overeasy it worked better to snuff the stove and add (cooler fuel) fuel from the bottle. It made simmering work like a charm. On a few occasions I did add approx 10 % water to the fuel, as suggested, but I could not tell a difference. I may continue to investigate that. I even use mine to heat the dogs Ramen at home. We sit in the driveway and cook. I have probably cooked over 400 times on that stove in last year - I always cook breakfast and dinner when camping and then use it at home sometimes. Its just too easy - open -throw a spark - cook- snuff. It takes longer to fill the pot than it does to light the stove. Folks say white gas is faster - but think about this - lets say you want tea at a quick lunch stop. Think about all that is involved to get a whisperlite burning. By that time my water is almost heated. Also, the Trangia cools faster - you can pick it up right after you snuff it - especially if you re-fuel it. Whitegas --(primus excluded) when you unscrew the pump from the pressurized fuel bottle there is lost fuel - some in the environment and some on your pourous skin. Then think about shaking all that nasty smelling fuel out of the fuel line before can pack the whisperlite. And most times you get it on your hands. Now when you eat lunch with gas hands your meal tastes like gas. Yummy! I'm not knocking white gas, but lets be realistic -there's good and bad sides to everything. One drawback to the mini trangia design is that the simmer ring cannot be fully opened when it is in the wndshield - the pot supports get in the way. There are maleable tabs inside the windshield that you can fold down and shove the stove to one side - that gives more room, but the simmer ring still cannot be fully opened - if it is it will not sit all the way down. And closing the tabs may/may not reduce oxygen - most likely not??
I have always used the mini just as it comes with the additon of my fooil windshield. Another observation is that just before boil happens on the mini the flames get bigger and bigger. As everything inside the foil windshield (that I made) gets hotter the temp of fuel rises, producing more vapors and more flame. Experience is limited thus far with the 27, but I think the 27 has this issue under control. The temperature of stove and fuel seems to be more stabilized and less affected by what is happening to the item being cooked. For instance - when using the fry pan on the mini it is about an inch above the flame - on the 27 it is about 5 inches above flame, so it appears that the heat inside the windshield remains more stabilized on the 27 - which may result in less flare up and better fuel consumption. Also gives a more stable temp that requires less tinkering with the simmer ring. On the mini I had developed little tricks to maintain consistent simmer temps. I am already noticing on the 27 that you can set the simmer ring and temp will not change until fuel level noticeably drops - giving a more consistent temp over a longer period of time.
And a k-mart grease pot has the same size opening - so the lid will fit, or the just drop the entire mini 28 in the grease pot and you have two cook pots. The grease pot gives a little more capacity if used instead of .8L trangia pot. But the bottom is not rounded.
I just got a 27-3ul so that I could do more elaborate cooking on some trips. I cooked bacon and eggs in the garage for breakfast yesterday. The boil time was unbelievable. I need to time it. All the heat is trapped in that big wndshield. And the heat when using the frypan was way more than I am accustomed to. I am already happy with it. I boiled a liter of water for coffee, fried 4 slices thick bacon, and scrambled 4 eggs - at the end the burner was almost half full. So I had a little more remaining fuel than I normally would have - not a very scientific comparison. I plan to put both side by side and test boil times. Blah blah blah....
Yeah, so any ways -- 12 ounces.

Tinker
02-21-2009, 10:34
1) The Trangia stove can be picked up right after you use it because it never gets as hot as a Whisperlite.
2) I leave the fuel bottle attached to my Whisperlite.
3) The pot support is too short. Raising the pot allows for more complete combustion of the fuel. It is also heavy. Take the bottom off and drill the rest of it full of holes, and, I agree, it isn't much of a windscreen, you have to add one to make the stove competitive with other alky burners.
4) The pot is too small for two people or one person who needs to cook a full Knorr/Lipton dinner to satisfy his/her appetite. Stirring the dinner will usually lead to spillage because the pot is so full.
5) The frying pan is wonderful. Keep it and put it in your new, larger, ti pot.
6) The size of the flame increases as the boil rate (and evaporation) of the alcohol increases. Happens on all alcohol stoves.
You have noticed that the mini Trangia is not as efficient as the other Trangia models. It is way lighter (and more compact) however.
Unfortunately, we can't have it all. The Mini T is a good first alcohol stove for non-stovies. It will last forever. It's lighter than a white gas stove (though the burner, without simmer ring and screw top is as heavy as ul cannister stoves - both without fuel) and is easier to use.
Is it perfect for everybody? No.
White gas and cannister stoves burn hotter and use less fuel in cold weather cooking.
It is, however, a nice, foolproof three season stove.
Yes, in case you were wondering, I have one.
Good info in the post above, btw. I just wanted to present another view. :)

Oh, and the fuel comes from a renewable resource. Probably the #1 reason to use alcohol.

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 11:47
Good and bad - its all about choices. My first was a SVEA123 in 1975. And they still sell a needle valve version of that stove. I am not sure I would want one, but some folks do. I tried esbit - too smelly. White gas is good. Compressed gas is too expensive for me. Sierra zip was fun, but the motor failed and was not worth replacement. Bushbuddy is nice - but smelly as all get out. Alc is good for me. And the stove of the day may not be the one I love next year. Who knows. But...

Whisperlites are good. i had one and enjoyed it.
But why is the word ''Whisper" even in that name. Is it because thats all your ears can stand after listening to that rocket cook your dinner?
The marketing guys probably stood there screaming over that stove and one of them yelled "lets name it RocketHeavy" , "What?" , "ROCKETHEAVY", "WHAT?, I can't hear you". "Turn that firckin' thing off so we can talk!".
Leaving the pump attached can lead to spills, leaks, or a broken pump. I never left the pump attached on mine. Broken plasitc pumps are common in the MSR reviews. I guess at 39.95 it is a good thing they break - in MSR's opinion.
Yeah - they get hotter- is there a stage beyond boiling that is useful for camp cooking? Boiling is boiling aint it? What's the hurry?
White gas in winter, yes -- compressed gas, absolutely not. Survey that one.
Keep the frypan to go with a new Ti pot. Why spend 50.00 to save an ounce and then carry a heavy coated fry pan lid that requires a pot lifter? Ti pots. I never was impressed. Too costly for me. I got one based on everyone raving about them. Wasted money in my opinion. I mean - its just a pot. Poor boy budget hikers like me don't need to waste money on stuff like that. Its like new a car - once it leaves the lot it aint worth near what you paid for it.
Alc is a renewable resource. Petrol is not. And please don't spill petrol on the ground.
And we both forgot to mention maintenance costs of the Trangia vs white gas. Trangia - you might have to dump a little debris out of the burner if you don't wipe the dirt of the bottom of your pot. Whisperlite - break it down and clean the fuel line once in a while. Not too hard if done at home. Replace seals now and then. Buy a new pump after it breaks on day two of a five day trip. Better know how to fire cook on that trip.
I never bought the whisperlite maintenance kit, but some folks do - and that adds cost. And hopefully your not having to perform maintenance on the day when you challenge a Trangia user to a cooking race.

I hear, ya. We all get defensive of our gear and methods. I like mine- I have done yours and like it also. They both work - its about likes and dislikes, I guess.

Nightwalker
02-21-2009, 15:16
I changed pots and put the frying pan/lid on a K-Mart grease pot. Perfect fit. I also got better heat distribution because of the larger surface area on the bottom of the pot. I'm trying out a Clickstand, and really like it. I use less fuel, but it weighs more. I'm thinking of trying to reproduce it in aluminum flashing material.

Even with the Clickstand and its heat screen for the pot, you have to use a foil wind screen around the stove or you can use 1.5 oz. of fuel to heat a pint of water on a very cold and windy day. YMMV, *PDCC, #UOAD.

*Professional driver, closed course.
#Use only as directed.
:D

Nightwalker
02-21-2009, 15:20
White gas in winter, yes -- compressed gas, absolutely not. Survey that one.

The small Iso/Butane/Propane tank can be heated up in your shorts in less than 5 minutes to the point where it works like Summer time.

I use my pocket rocket on a hike when I'm going to be hurrying. I use alcohol when I've got plenty of time. Weird reasons? Maybe. Weird hiker? Duh!

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 17:37
Canister Stove -- Not Sure what I did wrong, but that stove is covered in dust now. And so are the two tanks of fuel that I bought and never used.
I tried the canister in winter- and I preheated the fuel tank. But it was so inefficient that it was not worth the effort. I just did not get much heat out of a new, small canister. And I think at the time a canister was 3.95. So my conclusion - it was way too expensive in fuel costs. I used it many times in warm weather and just assumed that I would be able to make it work in winter. I read all the stuff about windscreens, exploding tanks, wrapping the tank with copper wire, putting it in you underpants, heating it in warm water, attaching some fancy apparatus so the tanks sits upside down, ect... I guess I should have consulted with someone that does use them in winter - but I don't know anyone. Most of the folks I know do longer trips in winter - longer than 3 days on average- that may be the reason. At any rate - canister stoves might be considered the backcountry microwave. They are fast and simple. And some folks love them. I still have one and may want to use it again someday.