PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the Mid-Night Urge.....

outdoorchicuf
02-21-2009, 10:31
My friend and I will be starting a NOBO hike next week. In preparation we slept outside last night to test out sleeping layers. (We live in Florida so really "cold" nights are few and far between). Anyway, I had to get up every 2 hours to pee. Can we say annoying? Not only was this annoying for me but it was also really annoying for my friend/tent mate. After doing some research this morning I found out that you really do pee more when its cold outside.

"A common symptom of cold weather is its effect on urine
production. Exposure to cold causes a reduction in blood flow to the
surface of the skin by constriction of blood vessels. This reduces the overall
volume of the circulatory system so increasing the blood pressure. The body's
response to this is to reduce the fluid volume by getting rid of water in the
urine. So when you get cold, you want to pee. " Source: http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/science/cold_humans.htm

So my question is, how can I help reduce the urge to pee at night :confused:

Rockhound
02-21-2009, 10:46
Pretty simple. Piss before you go to bed and don't drink a lot right before you go to bed. Aside from that I know of people who take an extra "water" bottle used just for urine so you don't have to leave your tent to pee. Just don't get your bottles mixed up.

SGT Rock
02-21-2009, 10:46
Drink less water before going to bed and get a piss bottle.

Red Hat
02-21-2009, 10:47
Easy for you guys to say... lots harder for us girls...

Tinker
02-21-2009, 10:53
Whatever you do, don't risk dehydration. Heat stroke in the summer has nothing on hypothermia in the winter. You may have to pee more often, but you'll be warmer in the long run if you keep your fluid intake at a reasonable level.

Pedaling Fool
02-21-2009, 10:55
That's all I do, drink less water at camp. I do all my heavy drinking in the morning and throughout the day. And I use a pee bottle during the cold season. Usually ditch it some time after the smokies.

fiddlehead
02-21-2009, 11:07
YOu can strengthen any muscle with practice.
Just hold it in as long as you can each time.
Within a week, you'll go as often as you choose.

Many things can be done by will power \

Toolshed
02-21-2009, 11:17
It's not that big an issue. Getting up to pee in cold weather is exhiliarating.

If you are only 27 and you are peeing every 2 hours, it might be another issue as well.
Does this happen at home? If not, it might simply be due to discomfort on your sleeping pad. Pressure points casuing you to twist and turn. If you are awakening when this happens, you might simply feel the need to pee while you are awake.
If you think this could be the root cause, You could try a different sleeping pad or cut sections of old foam pads to supplement your current pad.

Also you could take a sleep aid or Ibuprofen or Tylenol before retiring..each of these will help dull the pain of sleeping on pressure points. I find they both allow me to rest better.

Pacific Tortuga
02-21-2009, 11:37
Everyone has to deal with bodily fluids and getting rid of them, some more or less than others.
At your age, and 20 years beyond, was no problem for me.
As you put in longer milage days, even with greater fluid intake the need to leave the comfort of your sleep and drain yourself will decrease.
You can train yourself and help control your bladder, to lets say, right before you crash, once during the evening and then in the AM. This will also help in getting you up and out on the trail too.
This advice or any goes right out the door after a night of beer consumption. See - 'Trail towns', and how to blow through your budget.

Rockhound
02-21-2009, 11:40

Your bladder is an organ not a muscle and holding it in could actually cause damage. If you gotta go then go.

hopefulhiker
02-21-2009, 11:42
Let it flow. Get a pee bottle..

theinfamousj
02-21-2009, 12:11
Your bladder is an organ not a muscle and holding it in could actually cause damage. If you gotta go then go.

Kepler, the now-dead famous astronomer, actually died from holding his pee. He held it for a month. Holding it all night (what, 8 hours?) does not risk death.

As for being a female and needing to pee in the cold, I've discovered that the secret is to sleep warm. It may be cold outside of the bag, but my bladder doesn't know that.

Also, you have to pee more if you don't drink enough fluids. The more concentrated your pee is, the more it signals to your brain that you need to go. If you dilute your urine with more water drinking, you will fill your bladder but reduce the "gotta go right now" urge.

dmax
02-21-2009, 13:15
I heard a commercial on the radio yesturday. It was for a product called GOGIRL.COM. Women can now stand and pee.

Ekul
02-21-2009, 13:24
I tend to pee lot more when Im at home bc of Cokes and crap I dont have the chance to have on the trail. All those sodas tend to make the Prostate enlarge and reduce the amount the bladder can hold.(not a doctor just my problem) I simply stop drinking Coke and drink water and juices a week before I hit the trail and within the first two nights all is well. Get it checked to be safe--the silver bullet sucks but peeing every 2hours sucks more!

hoz
02-21-2009, 13:50
DON"T try to hold your pee in! While it may not kill you urinary/bladder infections can result. In extreme cases it could affect the kidneys, next stop dialysis!

Get up and piss outdoors or use a pee bottle. I know a guy who used to piss in his crocs and pitch it out.

(Not recommended...)

Blissful
02-21-2009, 14:03
As you hike long distances you tend to get more dehydrated, so likely you wil not pee as often as you think.

Grinder
02-21-2009, 14:14
I say don't fight it. Pee Jar if it's real cold. Get up and out if it's tolerable.

And as a bonus on the occasional clear night, nothing beats the 3 AM star gaze!!

Mrs Baggins
02-21-2009, 18:59
Female. 53. Two pregnancies. I can pee on cue. I'd have to be sedated with morphine to not get up during the night at least once, usually twice. One of medicines great inventions is the urinary catheter - had one after each C-Section and never had to move out of the bed. You're not even aware you have to go. Now if I could just figure out how to run one from me out the door of my tent............ :)

Nearly Normal
02-21-2009, 19:18
Female. 53. Two pregnancies. I can pee on cue. I'd have to be sedated with morphine to not get up during the night at least once, usually twice. One of medicines great inventions is the urinary catheter - had one after each C-Section and never had to move out of the bed. You're not even aware you have to go. Now if I could just figure out how to run one from me out the door of my tent............ :)

List under home made gear.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-21-2009, 19:20
use a pee bottle just remember to label it

outdoorchicuf
02-22-2009, 17:35
Thanks Everyone!

Panzer1
02-22-2009, 17:48
if your worried about peeing at 27, just wait till your 54.:):)

Panzer

superman
02-22-2009, 17:59
Don't worry about peeing...it'll pass. :) If you don't normally pee a lot during the night it will be part of your adjustment to sleeping outside.

SkinnyT
02-22-2009, 19:03
Do you really want to pack, carry and use a pee bottle?

superman
02-22-2009, 19:22
Don't worry about peeing...it'll pass. :) If you don't normally pee a lot during the night it will be part of your adjustment to sleeping outside.

ooops, I meant that you'll resume your normal pee pattern. ur, um well, the pattern may be the say but the frequency will either be the same ...or er different... never mind.

Hikes in Rain
02-22-2009, 20:49

Panzer

I resemble that remark. A lot!!

On the other hand, if I hadn't had to get up in the middle of the night at Russel Fields shelter in the middle of the night, I'd have missed the most magnificent star field I've ever seen.

Also might not have gotten a tiny bit of frostbite. It was 8* in November! and I stayed out there for a good long while with my head tipped back. Worth it, though.

Bulldawg
02-22-2009, 21:19
It's not that big an issue. Getting up to pee in cold weather is exhiliarating.

If you are only 27 and you are peeing every 2 hours, it might be another issue as well.
Does this happen at home? If not, it might simply be due to discomfort on your sleeping pad. Pressure points casuing you to twist and turn. If you are awakening when this happens, you might simply feel the need to pee while you are awake.
If you think this could be the root cause, You could try a different sleeping pad or cut sections of old foam pads to supplement your current pad.

Also you could take a sleep aid or Ibuprofen or Tylenol before retiring..each of these will help dull the pain of sleeping on pressure points. I find they both allow me to rest better.

I think he should try a hammock!!:banana:banana

bigcranky
02-22-2009, 22:08
One simple solution is to carry and use separate tents. I think a lot of hiking partners hike as if they were solo, unless they are a committed couple.

Camping Dave
02-26-2009, 22:30

This is a great way to get a bladder infection.

Ekul
02-26-2009, 22:49

Panzer

lol tru enough. had me worried enough to start the prostate stuff early

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2009, 23:30
Kepler, the now-dead famous astronomer, actually died from holding his pee. He held it for a month. Holding it all night (what, 8 hours?) does not risk death.

As for being a female and needing to pee in the cold, I've discovered that the secret is to sleep warm. It may be cold outside of the bag, but my bladder doesn't know that.

Also, you have to pee more if you don't drink enough fluids. The more concentrated your pee is, the more it signals to your brain that you need to go. If you dilute your urine with more water drinking, you will fill your bladder but reduce the "gotta go right now" urge.

Sorry, I don't always do this... I think you are confusing Actress Shell Kepler with Johannes Kepler, Please feel free to back up your statements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Kepler

Tin Man
02-27-2009, 00:44
it takes a few seconds to put on a coat and shoes and go do it. lazy ass snivelers

theinfamousj
02-27-2009, 00:57
Sorry, I don't always do this... I think you are confusing Actress Shell Kepler with Johannes Kepler, Please feel free to back up your statements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Kepler

You are right that I was wrong about Kepler.

It was Tycho Brahe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe). Different astronomer. :o Kepler was the one who substantiated the rumors of Brahe's death by bladder infection.

Though after further reading of the Wikipedia article, it appears that Brahe died of mercury poisoning instead. I'm sending the Wikipedia link to my astronomy professor so he'll update his lecture.

Tin Man
02-27-2009, 01:01
You are right that I was wrong about Kepler.

It was Tycho Brahe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe). Different astronomer. :o Kepler was the one who substantiated the rumors of Brahe's death by bladder infection.

who care's? i bet they both had to pee in the middle of the night while looking at the stars.

Sly
02-27-2009, 01:07
lazy ass snivelers

Absolutely. Once I'm in my bag last thing I want to do is get up. Pee bottles rule.

elangomat
02-27-2009, 01:23
Perhaps you might consider solo tents so you don't piss off your friend (no pun intended) getting up to answer the call one or two times a night.

Compass
02-27-2009, 02:32
As "theinfamousj" already mentioned it sounds like your sleep system is not warm enough. Investigate a better insulated pad.

Getting into shape works your Kidneys pretty hard. Once you adjust one time a night will most likely be the norm.

beakerman
02-27-2009, 04:40
Never had the problem of the mid-night pee but that early morning one is the killer for me--you know the one 5AM, dark out and you really want to just go back to sleep but you can't because you gotta get up. I guess now that I'm getting older I can look forward to more of these huh?

My wife is very light sleeper and is a real "gem" in those early morning hours when it comes to waking up however in the 16 years of marriage I have found with keeping some sort of easy to put on shoe (I use croc's now) I can put the hoof covers on and slip out of the tent do the deed and back in the bag all without incurring the rath of sleeping beauty. It's just a matter of learned skill. If I'm really trying I won't even wake the dogs.

julian
02-27-2009, 05:22
1. Buy a 15 foot length of vinyl tubing from Hope Depot
2. Place one end in your sleeping bag and another in the bushes somewhere

Tin Man
02-27-2009, 08:29
1. Buy a 15 foot length of vinyl tubing from Hope Depot
2. Place one end in your sleeping bag and another in the bushes somewhere

3. Make sure gravity is pointing the right way.

daddytwosticks
02-27-2009, 08:35
Any ideas what multiple functions we can use that 15 ft tube for? No jokes about hose lengths please. :)

Montana Mac
02-27-2009, 08:43
One of medicines great inventions is the urinary catheter - had one after each C-Section and never had to move out of the bed. You're not even aware you have to go. Now if I could just figure out how to run one from me out the door of my tent............ :)

If you do, make sure your door is on the downhill side :D