PDA

View Full Version : Sports

Tuna
02-21-2009, 11:20
While I'm in the *.S I really want to see a baseball or an American Football match, to see what they're like live.

Is there anywhere relatively near the trail that I can do this? I want to see the biggest, most kick-ass fixture there is.

All recs gratefully received :)

Tuna
02-21-2009, 11:20
Oops typo. I of course meant *.S not *.S

Tuna
02-21-2009, 11:21
I give up, my keyboard is freaking out.

nitewalker
02-21-2009, 11:25
fenway park and the boston red sox are only 1.5 hrs drive east on the mass turnpike. in the grand scheme of things thats not too far a ride; or you could go see the yankees at their new stadium but they suck....

Rockhound
02-21-2009, 11:29
Happened to me too. filter should be fixed so *.S. does not substitute a * for the *. As for baseball you can take the train from Harpers Ferry to D.C. for about $10 and catch a game there. Football if you are SOBO. as the season does not start until Sept. when most NOBOs are done or too far north to be near any stadiums.

Rockhound
02-21-2009, 11:29
I guess capital ewes are not allowed here.

steve43
02-25-2009, 13:15
you may also want to consider watching a minor league baseball game. tickets tend to be cheaper and you may not have to travel as far off the trail to see a game. of course the trade off is the level of play is lower and the stadiums won't have all the bells and whistles found in a major league park. over the years my preference has shifted to watching minor league baseball. in my eyes its still just a game at that level without all the hoopla.

enjoy your hike and the game(s)

fifo

le loupe
02-25-2009, 13:26
for a big event- what about the NCAA basketball tourney. It's not a pro sport but definetly a big deal and kicks off next month.

With games being played in Greensboro, NC and Philadelphia, PA you shouldn't be too far from the trail.

rhjanes
02-25-2009, 13:43
you may also want to consider watching a minor league baseball game. tickets tend to be cheaper and you may not have to travel as far off the trail to see a game. of course the trade off is the level of play is lower and the stadiums won't have all the bells and whistles found in a major league park. over the years my preference has shifted to watching minor league baseball. in my eyes its still just a game at that level without all the hoopla.

fifo
That's what I'd do. Most of the big-league sports, are very expensive. Freaking water is like $5...and no, you can't carry it into most of the places. Our local minor league parks are newer, cheaper, and very entertaining....

4eyedbuzzard
02-25-2009, 14:09
If you're interested in a side trip to NYC, the AT crosses the Metro North train line at Pawling, NY, the station is right on the trail but only is operational on weekends, and only stops if passengers are there waiting. The main Pawling stop is a few miles south. Link to Metro North schedule here (http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm). Link to wiki description of Metro North Harlem line here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_Line_(Metro-North)) Take the train to Grand Central Terminal(about 1hr 45 min) and take in NYC for a day or two. Lots to do: Broadway and shows, Museums (Metropolitan is the best IMO), Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, Yankee and Mets games. Easy to get around via walking, subways, and taxicabs. You'll need somewhere to sleep and stash your pack, and hotels are expensive($150 cheap, $200-300 average). Even hostels, if they have room available, aren't cheap, and many may not be particularly desirable from a location or even neighborhood safety standpoint. The Chelsea (http://www.chelseahostel.com/rates.html) has always gotten good reviews from people I know. You should check into availability as soon as possible in advance once you know what day you'll likely hit Pawling. Oh, and plan on spending some serious money if you visit NYC for any length of time more than a day.

Sly
02-25-2009, 14:32
I guess capital ewes are not allowed here.

neither are little ewes *'s ;)

dperry
02-25-2009, 14:47
Or you can get off the trail at US 11 near Carlisle, PA, catch the bus to Harrisburg, take the train to Philadelphia, and see the Phillies, the best team in baseball:banana, for considerably less in lodgings and tickets than you will pay in DC, NY, or Boston.

Depending on which way you are going and when you start or finish, it would also be possible to pass through Atlanta at either the beginning or end of your trip and take in the Braves, though of course they will stink. :D

If, on the other hand, you'd rather see a minor league game (which in some ways will be a more typical American experience, by the way), the following cities have teams and are all within a reasonable distance from the trail:

Asheville, NC
Johnson City, TN
Elizabethton, TN
Bristol, TN/VA
Bluefield, WV/VA
Princeton, WV
Salem, VA
Lynchburg, VA
Frederick, MD
Hagerstown, MD
Harrisburg, PA
Reading, PA
Allentown, PA (the team is officially known as Lehigh Valley)
Wappingers Falls, NY (officially known as Hudson Valley)
Troy, NY (officially known as Tri-City)

For more information, you can go to http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp. Make sure you check the schedules carefully, because sometimes the teams in smaller cities like these don't start their seasons until well into the summer. Depending on which way you are going, you might need to wait until halfway through the hike before you get a chance to go.

As others pointed out, football is probably out, unless maybe you stop at Boston or NY on your way back from the Trail (or Atlanta, if SOBO.)

Slo-go'en
02-25-2009, 14:54
And if you hit the right town on the right day, it can be fun to watch the local High School team play.

morgan
02-25-2009, 14:56
A lot depends on when you arrive in the US. If you come in late spring, you may want to consider catching a baseball game before you before you hit the trail. Most of the major points of entry on the east coast (Boston, Philly, New York, Washington, Atlanta, Miami, etc) have MLB teams.

If you want to see games while on the trail and will be hiking during the summer, I would recommend catching minor league baseball games. A link to teams and their locations is attached.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/info/geographical.jsp

If you are hiking in the fall, you may want to attend a college football game. You will have more options than trying to catch an NFL game. Heck, if you are in a town on a Friday night, go and check out a local high school football game. The fans will be great and you will get to experience a true piece of American culture.

jersey joe
02-25-2009, 15:00
If you're interested in a side trip to NYC, the AT crosses the Metro North train line at Pawling, NY...
The other plus about NYC is that they have two baseball teams(Yanks and Mets) both with brand spanking new stadiums this year. One of them is likely to be playing at home while you are passing through NY.

dperry
02-25-2009, 15:02
The other plus about NYC is that they have two baseball teams(Yanks and Mets) both with brand spanking new stadiums this year. One of them is likely to be playing at home while you are passing through NY.

The major minus, however, is that precisely because they are playing in new stadiums, tickets will be very difficult to get and obscenely expensive.

steve43
02-25-2009, 15:06
And if you hit the right town on the right day, it can be fun to watch the local High School team play.

and the games are usually free.

fifo

elangomat
02-25-2009, 15:41
Another option for NYC: On the East side of the Bear Mountain Bridge, walk north on Rt. 9D to the Manitou Station and catch a Metro North (Hudson Line) train to Grand Central. As someone already posted, the ticket prices for the games are absurd and the refreshments will cost an arm and a leg when you get inside the stadium(s). With that in mind, it is still a great experience to do at least once!

Sly
02-25-2009, 16:12
If you've never been to Fenway Park and can get tickets, it's worth the trip!

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/american/fenwaypark.jpg

zoidfu
02-25-2009, 16:19
Or you can get off the trail at US 11 near Carlisle, PA, catch the bus to Harrisburg, take the train to Philadelphia, and see the Phillies, the best team in baseball:banana

You beat me to it:banana

nhlfan
02-25-2009, 17:05
Hey Tuna! You're from the UK, you guys already have the best, baddest sport there is, RUGBY! Not that I'm partial of course, what just having been playing for 9 years and all :banana

Jim Adams
02-25-2009, 23:32
in 1990, "Baseball Bob" thru hiked the trail. He didn't worry about remaining "pure" however he wanted to spend his summer in the woods and yet he was a huge baseball fan and wanted to see as many different teams and parks that he could. I really don't remember the exact count but it was impressive...something like 32 games from Georgia to Maine.

geek

A-Train
02-25-2009, 23:54
If you come to NYC, take a trip to Brooklyn and take the train out to Coney Island to see the Brooklyn Cyclones play at Keyspan Park. It's good fun on a summer's night and the tickets are like 5 bucks. Plus you can walk the boardwalk and eat all the Nathan's hot dogs and fries you can handle!

Logistically, the easiest would be to take the train from Harpers Ferry into DC to see the Nats play. Guaranteed to be tickets available :)

le loupe
03-04-2009, 13:55
IM(not so)HO, Coney Island is awful. It get tons of pop culture references that make it seem the pinnacle of summer fun. The reality is its a long train ride from Penn Station for a hot dog on an overcrowded beach.

Besides, doesn't it seem a paradox to plan a side trip from a nature walk to an overcrowd urban armpit reeking of garbage? But then again, maybe no one will notice you stink, either.

catfishrivers
03-04-2009, 14:51

fifo

I was gonna post that the Sussex Skyhawks in NJ are not too far away from Highpoint. Here's their homepage.

http://www.sussexskyhawks.com/

and address:

94 Championship Place Augusta, NJ 07822