PDA

View Full Version : Running the AT?

UnkaJesse
02-21-2009, 13:33
Is there any reason why I can't trail run on the AT? :-?

I could not find anything online that says it's prohibited or even discouraged. I am jonesing to do an epic trail run this spring and thought that a section of the AT here in North GA would be choice. The local shuttle services make it really easy logistically, too.

I'm not looking to do something that's not 100% legal or ethical. I just have never seen anyone do it and am wondering why. Thanks in advance!

UJ

Lone Wolf
02-21-2009, 13:37

I could not find anything online that says it's prohibited or even discouraged. I am jonesing to do an epic trail run this spring and thought that a section of the AT here in North GA would be choice. The local shuttle services make it really easy logistically, too.

I'm not looking to do something that's not 100% legal or ethical. I just have never seen anyone do it and am wondering why. Thanks in advance!

UJ

go for it. it's 100% ethical and legal. there have been plenty of AT runners

Manwich
02-21-2009, 13:38
There are No Running Signs posted once every few hundred feet. You're also not allowed to Hop, Skip or Jump.

Only modes of travel permitted across the AT:
Walking
Hiking
Trudging
Crawling

UnkaJesse
02-21-2009, 13:40
There are No Running Signs posted once every few hundred feet.

I thought that just applied if you were carrying scissors......

tenbeer
02-21-2009, 13:43

UJ
All foot travel welcome on the AT. No posted speed limits. Speed at your own risk.

Blissful
02-21-2009, 13:55
Good places to do it until upper New England.

daddytwosticks
02-21-2009, 14:00
My friend's son is on the Young Harris College (Ga.) baseball team. I understand the team frequently runs on some sections of the north Georgia traip for conditioning. Have fun. :)

Slo-go'en
02-21-2009, 14:00
Speed at your own risk.

Especially if the trial is muddy or wet - you could be doing a lot of face plants. There is some pretty slick mud in GA!

In New England, competative cross country skiers often jog up steep trails for training.

Ekul
02-21-2009, 14:02
hogpen gap to unicoi is 13 or so miles and flat, 3 good ups and downs after Unicoi NOBO. thats up around youngharris.

UnkaJesse
02-21-2009, 14:15
Ekul, you've got some of the best trail running in the state in your backyard. Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield is a great place. The West Trail between Burnt Hickory Road & Stilesboro Road is one of my favorites.

Feral Bill
02-21-2009, 15:20
There are No Running Signs posted once every few hundred feet. You're also not allowed to Hop, Skip or Jump.

Only modes of travel permitted across the AT:
Walking
Hiking
Trudging
Crawling

Darn! I was planning on meandering, plodding, and moseying

middle to middle
02-21-2009, 15:49
Cross country track teams run the Maryland section. Beautiful ridge line for running.

JJJ
02-21-2009, 16:58
I thought that just applied if you were carrying scissors......
Scissors are required in some of the less technical areas.
Take a pair just in case.

for sake of balance, of course.

:D
I do it reguarly
go for it.

DavidNH
02-21-2009, 17:32

UJ

Nothing illegal or unethical. Question is first off why bother?

Secondly, are you familiar with the terrain the AT goes over? especially in NH and ME? Good luck being able to run that.

DavidNH

Skidsteer
02-21-2009, 17:37

Secondly, are you familiar with the terrain the AT goes over? especially in NH and ME? Good luck being able to run that.

DavidNH

He's planning on a section in Georgia.

futureatwalker
02-22-2009, 03:42
Hi UJ -

I did a section hike of GA last spring, and on the last day I wanted to make it to the NC border. My shuttle was picking me up at the last road crossing in GA, and I arrived there several hours before my pick-up time. So I shed my pack, grabbed my water bottle, and ran the last few miles to the border and back. I'd been hiking in trail runners.

It was a revelation. After 60+ miles hiking with a pack on, running was like flying. I was covering ground that would have taken hours to walk.

I had really enjoyed the backpacking experience, but while running I started wondering - could the trail be run? How could I strip my gear down sufficiently to run comfortably?

These thoughts still remain, as I day-dream about the trail...

Lone Wolf
02-22-2009, 06:55

cuz he likes trail running? duh?

Egads
02-22-2009, 09:00

UJ

Ever hear of Karl http://www.whereskarl.com/

BTW - I'd love to train with you in GA. PM if interested

Lone Wolf
02-22-2009, 09:11
Ever hear of Karl http://www.whereskarl.com/

or David Horton, Pete Palmer and Andy Thompson. all AT record holders. All ultra runners

UnkaJesse
02-22-2009, 09:51
cuz he likes trail running? duh?
Thanks! I was letting that one lay there. I couldn't come up with anything that wasn't too smart-ass-ey.

The same could be asked of virtually any athletic endeavor.....like why walk 2,174 miles?

Lone Wolf
02-22-2009, 09:53
The same could be asked of virtually any athletic endeavor.....like why walk 2,174 miles?

to get a patch and certificate and go to hiker events for the rest of your life and brag. duh! :D

UnkaJesse
02-22-2009, 09:58
Hi UJ -

I did a section hike of GA last spring, and on the last day I wanted to make it to the NC border. My shuttle was picking me up at the last road crossing in GA, and I arrived there several hours before my pick-up time. So I shed my pack, grabbed my water bottle, and ran the last few miles to the border and back. I'd been hiking in trail runners.

It was a revelation. After 60+ miles hiking with a pack on, running was like flying. I was covering ground that would have taken hours to walk.

I had really enjoyed the backpacking experience, but while running I started wondering - could the trail be run? How could I strip my gear down sufficiently to run comfortably?

I'll bet you especially enjoyed the long slow downhill SOBO taking you back to that road crossing at Dick Creek Gap.

JJJ
02-22-2009, 10:31

Check this out, FutureAT
Feet in the Clouds: A Story of Fell Running and Obsession (http://www.amazon.com/Feet-Clouds-Story-Running-Obsession/dp/1845130820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235312411&sr=8-1)
It's set in the Lake District and Snowdonia
While it's more about racing and distance than packing, I think you'll enjoy.
Trailrunners often run with a light pack.
You can beef it up a bit and do overnighters with no problem if the weather's cooperative.

JJJ
02-22-2009, 10:54
Also, FutureAT, I found my pack list and a writeup (http://jjjessee.blogspot.com/2008/07/buzzard-rock-cafe.html) of a fastpack I did last summer.

20oz handheld
Bandana
HalfKilt with Belt
Injinji Socks
Montrail Streaks
Stop Watch
Sunglasses
Tech S/s
1 pair Injinji Socks
1 Pair Smartwool Socks
Band-Aids
Bivy sack
Camera 2x battery
Cord 50'
Food - Bread/sardines/nuts/gels/clifbars
Katadyn pump hiker size
knife
lighter
Petzel light
Rain jacket
Running shorts
Tarp
Tech L/s
mini bungies
Water Bladder w/ 2 liter
IBU/ S-Caps
toothbrush/comb
$20 cash
Bonner soap
Granny Salve
Mole Skin/tape
plastic trash bag
Sunscreen

futureatwalker
02-25-2009, 02:57
Hi JJJ -

Thanks for your reply. I guess UnkaJesse's initial question has been thoroughly answered: there's no problem running the trail.

I've read "Feet in the Clouds" - and have recommended it to a friend. I'm not quite into ultra-distance running yet... but it has it's appeal. Have you read "Ultramarathon Man"? Very funny.

Thanks for the gear list. Did you have a light sleeping bag inside your bivy bag?

Marta
02-25-2009, 07:59
David Horton said one of his training runs is along the AT out of Pearisburg--up to Angels Rest, back to Pearisburg, up to the ridge on the other side, back to Pearisburg; repeat. I think he said it was 43 miles, which he usually does in about 9 hours.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most trail runners (people, not shoes) have support. Carrying a full pack while running would be a whole different thing.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how the adventure works out for you.

JJJ
02-25-2009, 08:39
FurtureAT, I didn't realize "Ultramarathon Man" was funny, I'll check it out.
Actually the second year, "the bivy bag" was more like a bag liner, it was rated at 50° I think, and I used my piece of tartan as an extra layer. :)

Marta, my guess is, David knew the water sources and carried enough calories in a hydration pack.
Our group sets out water drops at road crossings as needed on longish runs.
Support is always welcome if we can finagle it.
Thanks.

Kanati
02-26-2009, 10:29
or David Horton, Pete Palmer and Andy Thompson. all AT record holders. All ultra runners

Or, the host of rangers south of Neel Gap who run it regularily. I met 2 last year running up Blood mtn. in combat fatigues and carrying day pack.

jnflas91
03-02-2009, 10:38
yea i read in runners world about this as well, he ran AT and PCT im posting the link take a look. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--12984-1-1X2X3X4X5X6X7X8X9X10-10,00.html

rjohns94
03-02-2009, 16:53
The JFK 50 miler starts in boonesboro md and runs on part of the AT.