PDA

View Full Version : I am going to try this one

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 18:47
Boca burgers are great. I actually love the taste. But check these out --
I am going to give these a try and see how they taste. Dried kidneys could be hard to re-hydrate, but the rest looks do-able.

What would be a good bun suggestion to go with these - maybe something like an onion roll would be good?

Kidney Bean Burgers --
Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
1/2 cup oats
2 Tablespoons Braggs (or tamari or soy sauce)
garlic powder or fresh minced garlic, optional
onion powder, optional
oil
Directions:
Mash kidney beans. Add oats, Braggs, and seasonings.

Mix and form into patties. Fry in oil until brown on both sides.

The burgers like to fall apart, so I add a little oil or extra Braggs to the mix. We always top with 'normal' burger stuff like onions, tomatoes, pickles, etc.

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2009, 18:54
Actually, for most folks, "normal" burger stuff sorta takes for granted that you're starting with ground beef of some sort.

But good luck.

I think. :D

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 19:03
An old hiking buddy used to tell me stories about working as a butcher at Food City - he said they would take the meat that had cists and tumors on it and put it through the grinder. "Every ounce counts, and its all FDA approved", he would laugh.

Yummy!

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2009, 19:39
Nice story there, Hooty, and gosh, thanx for sharing it!!

Speaking of meat with cysts and sores, I know a guy who used to run a farm in California, and he told me all sorts of delightful stories...... if you knew what the pickers did in the fields every day, son, it might put you off your veggies for awhile. :eek:

Bon appetit.

hopefulhiker
02-21-2009, 19:50
I would mix it up in a pasta or macaroni dish and add some Texas Pete! Forget the buns Just take hard rolls or bagels..

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 20:55
Nice story there, Hooty, and gosh, thanx for sharing it!!

Don't know why I'm laughing. But I am.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2009, 20:58
Boca burgers are great. I actually love the taste. But check these out --
I am going to give these a try and see how they taste. Dried kidneys could be hard to re-hydrate, but the rest looks do-able.

What would be a good bun suggestion to go with these - maybe something like an onion roll would be good?

Kidney Bean Burgers --
Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
1/2 cup oats
2 Tablespoons Braggs (or tamari or soy sauce)
garlic powder or fresh minced garlic, optional
onion powder, optional
oil
Directions:
Mash kidney beans. Add oats, Braggs, and seasonings.

Mix and form into patties. Fry in oil until brown on both sides.

The burgers like to fall apart, so I add a little oil or extra Braggs to the mix. We always top with 'normal' burger stuff like onions, tomatoes, pickles, etc.oh god! that's bilious

sarbar
02-21-2009, 21:13
Cooked beans dry well and rehydrate easily.

hootyhoo
02-21-2009, 21:13
bil·ious 1 a: of or relating to bile

Had to look that one up. Actually Andrew Zimmern ate some bile the other day - in the Middle East I think. He eats some nasty stuff sometimes - but the bile was too much, even for him. Just hope your not in the same shelter the night this stuff goes down....Woohooo

Rockhound
02-21-2009, 21:14
I can't help but feel that veggie burgers are like non alcoholic beer. Just a poor substitute for the real thing. Had an earthy crunchy granola girl girlfriend who used to serve em to me all the time. Edible? sure. But not the same as a nice 1/2 lb. flame grilled burger with a little A1. Not judging here. just my humble opinion.

daddytwosticks
02-22-2009, 13:04
For me to eat a veggie burger, the gal would have to be something else! However, after reading all this, I may do some re-thinking about the 100% beef burgers too! :)

calculating infinity
02-27-2009, 12:29
if you use dehydrated beans you could do this. i know my local health food store sells ground up dehydrated beans and those would work great. braggs liquid aminos is a great trail seasoning too.