PDA

View Full Version : Shoe experts needed

Transient Being
02-21-2009, 22:48
I'm looking to buy some new shoes to hike in and was wondering what the pro's use. I can get a good deal on some Merrell Moab Ventilators low cut, but I see alot of people saying to just get some good running shoes. I saw some New Balance 620's that looked good?

http://www.newbalance.com/running/footwear/MT620/

My pack probably weighs 25-35 pounds and I'm planning on hiking from Dicks Creek north about 150 miles. What do you guys think. :-?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Desert Reprobate
02-21-2009, 23:00
You're going to get as many opinions as there are kinds of shoes.

Transient Being
02-21-2009, 23:17
Yea, you know what they say about opinions.;):D

I suppose I would still like to hear them though.:)

Alyssa1
02-21-2009, 23:25
i went with the new balance 790's trail running shoes. super light weight too i think.

Blissful
02-21-2009, 23:30
Your pack weight looks fine for trail runners. I used Brooks Adrenaline ASRs for my pronating problem. You can get fitted at a New Balance store to check them out.

Transient Being
02-21-2009, 23:52
i went with the new balance 790's trail running shoes. super light weight too i think.

Yea, I've seen those. They look almost too light. I've heard some people raise questions about wether or not they would provide enough stability. You seem to like them, no?

Transient Being
02-22-2009, 00:08
Your pack weight looks fine for trail runners. I used Brooks Adrenaline ASRs for my pronating problem. You can get fitted at a New Balance store to check them out.

Man those shoes look pretty nice. Never had any Brooks. Might have to try them out. Thanks.

sliderule
02-22-2009, 00:18
Ventilated shoes are great as long as you keep them dry. In wet conditions, they act like a sponge. Not only do your feet get wet, but your light weight shoes soaked with water start to weigh as much as leather boots.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2009, 06:58
this pro uses Montrail Comps

Egads
02-22-2009, 08:32
My 2 cents, you are going to feel every rock and root with those shoes and 35 lbs on your back.

I would look for low cut shoes that are made for hiking since they have a stiffer sole. I took one step more and had orthopedic carbon fiber insoles made (my feet were placed into a mold, so I have no pressure points). I tried on 30+ pair of shoes at 3 outfitters before buying my hiking shoes. I prefer the goretex tops over the mesh tops.

Transient Being
02-22-2009, 12:45
Thanks for all the opinions so far. The only other thing I can think of is that I will be starting in late march or early april, so would the vented shoes be too cold. Would I need waterproof, gortex, etc. I heard these were hard to dry out once they get wet? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I need all the help I can get.

Thanks again.

daddytwosticks
02-22-2009, 13:14
Got the same Merrels in mid style. Use to use New Balance 608's I think they were. The NB's were nice and I didn't get blisters. However, with a 25-30# pack, the bottoms of my feet would be sore and tired at the end of the day. No blisters with the Merrels...wear mid weight synthetic socks....these shoes have a little more umfff to 'em and my dogs feel better at the end of the day. :)

YoungMoose
02-22-2009, 13:23
i think those are a good choice.

Wags
02-22-2009, 17:59
imo. new balance's are good for people who's feet are wide or pronate. people w/ normal feet/gait can find better trail shoes than them. my heel steps right out of every pair of new balance's i've tried

i agree w/ egads (except for liking goretex - to each his own w/ that) in that i prefer a more solid bottom when carrying 30+. dayhikes i'm fine w/ just my nikes on. i switch b/t a pair of low cut vasque's (mantra maybe?) and montrail hardrocks, which are like sneakers, but have some sort of metal or stiff ass plastic running the length of the sole. both protect the bottom of my feet well, ventilate, and aren't too heavy.

SunnyWalker
02-22-2009, 22:46
The best pair of hiking shoes/boots I ever bought was at Walasiyi (Neel Gap) in GA. If you are near there, you might pay them a visit. They were so nice and very knowledgeable.

Frau
02-22-2009, 22:54
Nessmuk and I love our Moab Ventilators. He has the high top, to support his bad ankle and I wear the low cut. They eventually get squishy, but they were great for the hiking season.

To be fair, my trail runners, Nike Shox Djungas, also get squishy. The prices wre about the same, and the sole on the Moabs lasts much longer, probably because of the Vibram.

jMHO,
Frau

Bulldawg
02-22-2009, 22:58
this pro uses Montrail Comps

What kind of spray do you use on your shoes?:confused::confused:

Bearpaw
02-22-2009, 23:02
Get the shoe that fits you well. You should be able to walk up an incline with minimal lift of your heel inside the shoe. On a fairly steep downhill, you should be able to walk continually without your toes pushing into the front of your shoes. If they are too short or too wide, your toes will push into the front and you will eventually lose toenails.

If the Merrells fit well, and you get a good price, go for it. With a late March start, you will hike in cold wet conditions, maybe some snow, and your feet will get wet. With leather boots, your feet will get wet and stay wet. You may want to consider a pair of waterproof socks (such as SealSkinz) that you can wear over a good wicking sock for those days when the trail is snow-covered or thick with mud.

But ultimately, if your feet and ankles are healthy, you can go with a trail runner or the Moab (a slightly heavier cross-trainer) just fine.

Summit
02-23-2009, 13:36
I've had pretty good success with Merrell Moabs, although I just got a pair of Montrail Hardrocks for my next hike, mainly because my left foot starts hurting after a couple 10+ mile days with the Moabs. The pain is in the middle bottom of my foot - plenty of toe box room too. I've heard another mention this problem, so I thought I'd give the highly acclaimed Hardrocks a try.

Some people's feet are more sensitive than others to 'feeling the rocks' in light weight running shoes. Everyone will have to find out for themselves what their feet like and don't like. The good thing about running shoes that don't quite make the grade for hiking in can always be used for other activities, to get your money's worth! ;)

Transient Being
02-23-2009, 13:57
Thanks alot everyone for the replies. This is really helping me with my decision. Looks like I'll have to invest in some of those sealskinz too.:)

BrianLe
02-23-2009, 18:28
As an alternative to a neoprene sock (like sealskinz), consider a goretex sock, such as these (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19988). Lighter, and can keep an inner sock dry pretty well, so long as you have something like a gaitor to keep water from getting in from the top.

I like neoprene socks when I expect to be walking in lots of water. For snow, mud, puddles, rainy days, I prefer a goretex sock, possibly with a wool sock inside (else just a liner sock).

I suggest at least one size bigger than you wear, to fit a wool inner sock for, say, walking in wet snow.

Mother's Finest
02-23-2009, 19:04
you got any foot problems?

if not then just wear what is comfortable. toes should be nice and free not bumped up against the end of the shoe.

heel controlled from side to sided little slip up and down......

other than that consistency with the thickness of your sock gear

and no cotton socks

peace
mf

maddi
03-16-2009, 05:36
you got any foot problems?
other than that consistency with the thickness of your sock gear

Why do you need consistency with sock thickness?

Glebbber
03-20-2009, 21:46
you cant wear heavy wieght wool socks with silk liners, and then switch to a synthetic sock and expect the shoe to fit both. your shoe will conform real quick to your feet.

When I wear my hiking boots, that I usually wear with the wool socks and liners, with cotton socks they feel a size or so too big.

whiterockjock
04-17-2009, 10:33
I find that the best way to go is with TWO shoes!!! Bring them BOTH, no need to count grams on those!

leeki pole
04-17-2009, 10:48
I've got really narrow feet (A/AAA) and New Balance fits me fine with Superfeet insoles. In fact I've got 474's on today. Take an old pair to a good shop, let them look at your wear pattern and you'll get fitted just fine. I'm speaking from 30,000 miles of running, not an expert, just been there and done that.

Two Tents
04-17-2009, 10:54
I concur with the seal skins. I really like mine.----Two Tents

cravj1988
04-17-2009, 10:55
Montrail Hard Rocks worked great for me, with super feet insoles.

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx?prod=150&cat=150&top=1

cravj1988
04-17-2009, 10:57
montrail hard rocks worked great for me, with super feet insoles.

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx?prod=150&cat=150&top=1

Desert Reprobate
04-17-2009, 11:12
I find that the best way to go is with TWO shoes!!! Bring them BOTH, no need to count grams on those!
One for each foot?

JAK
04-17-2009, 11:22
Not so much in summer, but Fall/Winter/Spring I need to be able to vary the thickness of my socks and liners. Some trail runners and light leather boots and mukluks will allow for this better than others. In summer it is suffient to be able to swick between thin socks and medium socks. Neoprene socks are a great option especially in cold wet Spring conditions. Not so much needed summer/fall.