PDA

View Full Version : What's best -- Northern or Southwest VA?

Press
02-21-2009, 23:53
OK, I have hiked the AT from Front Royal to the south side of Catawba/Blacksburg area. What's more fun -- from Harper's Ferry to Front Royal, or Catawba south to whereever? I want to finish up the trail in VA eventually and am trying to decide btwn. these two sections. I live more or less in between them so it's a several hour drive to start either one, a bit less down to Catawba area though.

Tennessee Viking
02-22-2009, 02:43
Mt Rogers

Lone Wolf
02-22-2009, 07:01
Catawba- south by far

mikec
02-22-2009, 09:41
Catawba south by far. I live in northern VA and the trail in that area, IMO, is not that great compared to further south.

Pedaling Fool
02-22-2009, 09:46
Southwest

Nicksaari
02-22-2009, 16:47
SW. when are you heading out there to finish the section? ill be out there after trail days.
gonna buy LW a beer, see the ponies, creeper trail. cant wait!

Jack Tarlin
02-22-2009, 16:50
Southwest VA, no question.

My LEAST favorite part of VA is the Northern end of it.

TrippinBTM
02-22-2009, 18:46
i agree with the rest. SW VA was one of my favorite parts of the AT as a whole. And the northern part, with the "rollercoaster" is kind of a pain, and far less great as far as views and stuff go.

Blissful
02-23-2009, 11:11
Rollercoaster is nice in the fall though.

Doxie
02-24-2009, 14:41
Definitely Agree...SW VA has a lot more views, and is an all-around beautiful area. The lack of views was one of my major complaints about NoVA. The terrain in SWVA has longer climbs, but you tend to stay up there for a little bit and be rewarded with nice views, rather than going up and down. The Shelters are nice in both places, and they both have great trail maintenance. Also, if you're planning on going in the summer, SWVA tends to have cooler temps.

Press
02-26-2009, 21:17
Thanks to all for the replies, that's what I figured, only thing attracting me to northern part of VA is desire to complete that part of it from Harper's Ferry to Front Royal. Plus my son lives in DC so he could be source of ride to HF. But you guys have convinced me to head south, thanks again. Nice weather here in Central Va., today, makes me anxious to get out. "By tomorrow I'll be through them hills and gone," as Townes Van Zandt wrote. Except it won't be tomorrow, maybe next month though!