PDA

View Full Version : Pay to play.............

Mrs Baggins
02-22-2009, 07:21
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,498007,00.html

I'm not sure how someone can have the stamina to climb UP a mountain but can't come back down, but oh well. Now it'll cost 'em for the ride..........

Egads
02-22-2009, 08:23
Pay to ride... I agree unless injury or severe illness is involved w/o any negligence

freefall
02-22-2009, 10:36
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,498007,00.html

I'm not sure how someone can have the stamina to climb UP a mountain but can't come back down, but oh well. Now it'll cost 'em for the ride..........
What people fail to realize is that while it is only 12.6 miles from the trailhead to the summit, it involves a 7,500 ft gain in elevation. This often gets them into trouble as they start too late then get to the summit late in the day. Barr Camp is located about half way and would be an ideal alternative. Hike to the camp one day, then summit and descend the next day. Of course, this would mean carrying at least the ten essentials.

Rockhound
02-22-2009, 10:44
It's not paying to play. It's paying to stop playing. $500 seems more than a reasonable fee for paying for ones stupidity. The alternative could cost a lot more. Frostbite, hypothermia, death.....

freefall
02-22-2009, 10:59
I forgot to add, anyone hiking in the Colorado back country should consider getting a COSAR card before setting out. While it wouldn't help in this situation, if you are indeed injured or a S&* mission is needed, it helps defray the costs to the mostly volunteer groups that conduct searches in Colorado.
https://dola.colorado.gov/dlg/fa/sar/sar_purchase.html

Mrs Baggins
02-22-2009, 12:26
What people fail to realize is that while it is only 12.6 miles from the trailhead to the summit, it involves a 7,500 ft gain in elevation. This often gets them into trouble as they start too late then get to the summit late in the day. Barr Camp is located about half way and would be an ideal alternative. Hike to the camp one day, then summit and descend the next day. Of course, this would mean carrying at least the ten essentials.

I did not know that. Makes sense then that they'd be worn out (personally I'd be crawling before I ever got to the top :() and it could be very late in the day. I agree that they should pay ---as they say "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." Now if you get up there and trip and break an ankle maybe that's a different thing. :-? But it would still cost money to get rescue crews up there and to transport you back down.

DavidNH
02-22-2009, 13:52
Hmm?

Perhaps we should put up a cable car so folks won't tire on the way up OR down.

Unless the hiker is injured it seems totally ridiculous to not be able to get down if you could get yourself up there.

Yeah.. charge the day lights out of em!!

David

freefall
02-22-2009, 15:00
Hmm?

Perhaps we should put up a cable car so folks won't tire on the way up OR down.

Unless the hiker is injured it seems totally ridiculous to not be able to get down if you could get yourself up there.

Yeah.. charge the day lights out of em!!

DavidThere is a cog rail and a paved road to the summit. So there are many ways to scale the summit. The Cog allows some one way tickets but does not most of the time as they have limited parking spaces. The ability to hitchhike down exists so if the search and rescue groups have to go and get people, they should be charged.
What they are proposing, 1) If a hiker needs to move between areas, $20. 2) If they need to go from the summit to the trail head during the business day,$100, 3) then if they need to be picked up after business hours, then it will be $500+. Plowing the road adds additional expense.

YoungMoose
02-22-2009, 15:49
Thats a smart idea. maybe the price is a little steep but its a samrt idea overall

Kirby
02-23-2009, 10:12
Makes perfect sense. 24 miles is a long round trip for a day, people should plan better in advance.

Pedaling Fool
02-23-2009, 10:16
I agree charge those dumbasses. Idiots.

frisbeefreek
02-23-2009, 10:33
I have a photo somewhere (can't find it) of me at Mt. Baker in the North Cascades -- The massive red sign says - paraphrased -

"Danger - Minimum $500 fine for rescue. Rescue may not be possible. Serious injury or death is possible."

Basically sums up my opinion. In the above case, it was mostly concerned with skiing out of bounds, but in general, you want to take risks, you pay the price when you make a mistake.

Gumbi
02-23-2009, 10:46
Just tell them to call a taxi!

Seriously, way to many people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions.

kyhipo
02-23-2009, 10:54
pay!24miles is alot on any given day,and the fact that you could die.I know many people have been helped off the roan's in early spring late winter.ky