PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Pioneers Shelter - NY

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 11:21
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Telephone Pioneers Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

DebW
05-19-2003, 14:27
Stopped here on a day hike May 14, 2003. Shelter was in good shape. Water supply is a good-sized stream crossed by a bridge on the spur trail to the shelter. Privy available, but I didn't check it out. Shelter is on a hillside. Maybe some campsites behind the shelter, but I didn't look too closely. Pleasant spot. Baltimore oriole seen in front of shelter.

Hikerhead
05-19-2003, 18:44
My mom is a retired Pioneer. She'll be glad to know her group helped to build this shelter.

DebW
05-19-2003, 20:04
What is a Telephone Pioneer? Seems an odd name for a shelter.

Hikerhead
05-19-2003, 20:08
It's just a club within the Bell family of phone companies. I don't know exactly what they do, but she sure does go to a lot of birthday dinners and breakfast. It's a social club so to speak.

2XL
03-14-2004, 16:06
I stopped by on March 14, 2004. Nice veiw overlooking the farm below, too bad leaves will block this view come spring. Sleter and privy in good shape. Shelter register said privy had a major bee problem last year. 4 tent sites.

Happy Hiking
2XL

Twofiddy
03-14-2004, 19:00
What is a Telephone Pioneer? Seems an odd name for a shelter.
YEP!!

My grandfather goes to Pioneer meeting twice a month, once for breakfast and once for lunch, it is a social club of people who used to use a tooth pick to make our telephone connections long before the days of mice running on wheels or computers.

Anyhow I sat at this shelter on one hot sweltering day last year in early JULY and had to eat my lunch under my bug netting!

SKEETERS WERE VISCIOUS!!

Then I got down the road to the AT train station and there was a road side hotdog stand in an old mini travel trailer. No bugs at that location!! SO I decided to have a very quick second lunch that day too!!

:dance

whcobbs
01-26-2005, 16:55
I visited this shelter 17 January 2005 accompanied by Mark L. A thru hiker headed South, handle "Greenhorn", was in residence with a dome tent pitched within the shelter. He was waiting out MLK day so he could pick up his US mail resupply in Pawling NY; he had started solo in the White Mountains in October. Water supply was a nearby gushing brook.

I LOST MY GLASSES IN A SOFT BLACK CASE in a fall about halfway down the hill below the shelter northbound toward the Pawling Natural area (icy). If you find the glasses please notify me either by private mail on this forum or at [email protected]

Thanks,
Walt

Footslogger
01-26-2005, 17:09
Kinda "over the river and through the woods" getting there but the shelter is OK. Not many good tent site however. I hit the shelter about 7 PM on my thru-hike in 2003 and called it quits. If I had known that the descent to the road and the walk/hitch into Pawling was so easy I would probably not have stayed there.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Monster
08-16-2006, 14:30
The best tent site is down the hill to the left of the shelter (left as you're facing it).

sasquatch2014
08-21-2007, 10:22
There is a new caretaker of the shelter and they have done some work including an new priviy door and getting ready to move the same. Shelter is in good shape. I hike up every few days and bring some wood and water up as often as i can. the stream has been spotty of late and the water is at the bottom of the hill about .5 miles fairly steep to the north. I have been pretty good about keeping 3-4L up there most of the time.

JAK
08-21-2007, 10:38
My grandfather was a Telephone Pioneer with New Brunswick Telephone Company. He started before WWI, took time off to get gassed at Passchendaele, then joined again after and stayed with the company until retiring in '62 at 65. I've got one of his early books on telephony showing the old technology including old wiring and batteries and switchboards and even how to erect a telephone pole. Another is on the history of the telephone pioneers. Different world back then for sure, but it seems right and fitting that there would be such a shelter on the AT. It's not like a monument to cell phones. We have plenty of those already. ;)

2XL
09-29-2007, 19:13
Last weekend I stopped by the shelter and read the register. There was a crew building water bars down the hill to the north.
The stream is dry.
Sasquatch that posted above has been bringing water to the shelter but has stopped for a while, while he goes out on his own hike.

The Cheat
10-29-2007, 09:31
:)

We were there the night of October 27th, 2007. Everything is in good condition. The stream on the blue blaze trail to the shelter was running good, but it was pouring rain during most of our hike (we came from the south, from route 55). Didn't catch any fish at Nuclear Lake, :o .

There were two other groups there, the Carolina boys heading south, and a family heading north (or maybe coming south to the shelter, then heading back north?)

We headed north in the morning, the trail through the swamp to the trail train station was not flooded.

p.s. my dad was a Telephone Pioneer from White Plains.

sasquatch2014
11-04-2007, 21:35
I went by today and the stream is still running and a pretty good flow at that. The Privy for this shelter has just been relocated onto a new moldering crib similar to the one at the Morgan Stewart shelter. Also be aware that there will be a bit of Relo work going on south of the AT and Shelter junction as they move the trail to a route that is less likley to completly washout.

Cookerhiker
11-04-2007, 21:41
I went by today and the stream is still running and a pretty good flow at that. The Privy for this shelter has just been relocated onto a new moldering crib similar to the one at the Morgan Stewart shelter. Also be aware that there will be a bit of Relo work going on south of the AT and Shelter junction as they move the trail to a route that is less likley to completly washout.

That relo sounds like a good idea. I recall the Trail running down from West Mt at an angle where it was probably a river during rains.

sasquatch2014
12-13-2007, 10:27
There is aplan for a new roof to be installed on the Telephone Pioneer shelter and have the wood at the back overhang of the roof be replaced. Earlier this fall the shelter got a new moldering Priviy. Well the moldering part is new the priviy was the existing one but in good shape. the relo uphill from the shelter is still ongoing as of right now. If anyone wants to help with these projects send me a pm and I'll give you contact info for the lady in charge of this region.

The Cheat
06-05-2008, 20:33
Hi all,

Does anybody have any insight into whether the water source at the Pioneer's shelter will be running late June? June 21st to be precise.

Thanks!

sasquatch2014
06-05-2008, 22:19
It has been running strong as of late. It is normally only an issue later in the year. So far we have had a lot of rain.

hammock engineer
06-05-2008, 23:20
Last fall when I was thru there a house just north of it at the road crossing had a water spicket out for hikers to use. Just go to the road and head East I believe. Wasn't far at all. It was bone dry at the shelter then.

BTW, they have dogs that aren't happy but stay behind the fence.

sasquatch2014
06-06-2008, 10:15
As of a week or so ago the spigot was not working. Most of last summer from Aug on I hauled water up to the shelter. the water from the house is really only practical if you are a SoBo otherwise you are talking .7 down the hill and .7 back up.

The Cheat
06-08-2008, 22:46
As of a week or so ago the spigot was not working. Most of last summer from Aug on I hauled water up to the shelter. the water from the house is really only practical if you are a SoBo otherwise you are talking .7 down the hill and .7 back up.

How much water do you lug up there? That's quite a hill to tote water up coming SoBo.

sasquatch2014
06-11-2008, 16:20
How much water do you lug up there? That's quite a hill to tote water up coming SoBo.

The most I have done is about 5 gallons at a time. I did do a bunch of Firewood and 3 gallons of water another time but don't do that except when we get those cold wet spells near the end of the SoBo parade. Gets me in good shape that is for sure.

2XL
10-17-2008, 18:02
Anybody know how the water sources in this area have been recently?

Tin Man
10-17-2008, 18:24
Anybody know how the water sources in this area have been recently?

You are in Ridgefield? Hey neighbor. The water sources on the AT in northern CT, southern MA, that have problems when NY has problems, was running strong last weekend.

2XL
10-17-2008, 18:45
Yes, I am in Ridgefield, grew up here and never left.
I was thinking of going to Pioneer Shelter tomorrow night to enjoy the first chilly night of the season. We haven't had any real rain for a while now and was wondering how the stream was flowing.

Tin Man
10-17-2008, 19:38
Yes, I am in Ridgefield, grew up here and never left.
I was thinking of going to Pioneer Shelter tomorrow night to enjoy the first chilly night of the season. We haven't had any real rain for a while now and was wondering how the stream was flowing.

Maybe the local maintainer, Sasquatch2014, can chime in here or you could PM him. Alternatively, you can easily carry in enough water to last one night. While I bet the stream is flowing, carrying a little extra water on the easy hike in is a no-brainer.

sasquatch2014
10-17-2008, 19:39
I would just haul it up from the purple house at the bottom of the hill just to be safe. The small stream up there tends to go dry more often than not. I think that they still have a sign on the small fence by the spigot. The house would be to your left if you are facing trail south. Also it is pretty picked over for wood but if you grab a few big pieces as you make the turn off from the trail to the shelter you should find it pretty easy.

Half Step
04-06-2009, 13:49
I was there on 3/21/09 and the stream was running strong.

The shelter was in excellent condition. It rained the night before, so the area in front was a bit muddy. There were a few loose roof shingles underneath, so we spread them out as a "door mat". Before we left, we put them back underneath.

There is a picnic table with attached benches and 2 other loose benches. There's a fire ring in front of the shelter and we emptied out the ashes and charcoal and scattered them far from the shelter. There's also a small bow saw hanging on a nail on the side of the shelter. The blade is dull but works well enough.

The privy is in excellent condition.

There are a few tent sites on the left side facing the shelter and further left, down the hill 20 yards, or so, several more.

All in all, a very nice experience. A big Thank You to the maintainers!

Ender
04-06-2009, 14:47
I was there on 3/21/09 and the stream was running strong.
All in all, a very nice experience. A big Thank You to the maintainers!
I was just there yesterday and agree with everything you said. Big props to the maintainers of that section.

Also, the bog bridges north of the shelter, right before the Metro North AT trail stop have been replaced and are a huge improvement.

sasquatch2014
04-07-2009, 11:21
Did you see if there was still any wood left under the shelter? Not sure when I'll get back up there might be a few days.

Ender
04-07-2009, 11:35
Yep, a pile of small diameter wood... didnt' really pay attention to exactly how much was there, but it looked like a fair amount. I don't think anyone stayed there on Saturday night, since the weather on Saturday seemed to keep people mostly off the trail.

sasquatch2014
04-07-2009, 12:20
Ok thanks I'll try to get up there before this weekend.

HugeHill
05-26-2009, 23:37
Great job maintaining the shelter and good to meet you Sunday evening.

sasquatch2014
05-27-2009, 08:06
Glad you had a good hike. Remember the train runs all year round so when the rat race is a bit too much head for the hills. Give me a shout next time you head up this way and who knows maybe Hank and I will shake loose to hike with you for the day.

sasquatch2014
05-27-2009, 17:06
A bear was sighted on 5/25 not too far from the Telephone Pioneer shelter. Please make sure to hang all food away from the shelter and tenting area and use proper bear bagging procedures. A bear was also seen with in 1/4 mile of the Wiley shelter as well so they are appearing to be more active this year than in past years. A small bit of prevention can keep this from becoming an issue and instead make it special out door experience.

XCskiNYC
09-26-2009, 18:39
Stayed over night here 25 Sept. Stream dry. Water at purple house at west side of Dutchess County 20/West Dover Road (walk down the driveway, the spigot is on one of the posts of the metal fence to the right, a few paces past the gate in the fence). It's a steep 0.7 from West Dover Rd. Bring a train schedule. It's fun to listen to the whistles echo off the sides of the valley and identify the trains. It's a nice walk from the shelter trail/AT junction north (ALDHA south) to Cat Rocks where you'll have a great view of the valley and plenty of opportunities to collect fire wood. A local guy who gave me a lift from the train station said the rocks are named after mountain lions that roam the area, not kitties. But he said the mountain cats are not active lately. I saw nothing bigger than the geese that went honking over the shelter site.

sasquatch2014
09-26-2009, 21:07
Good thing to know that the shelter stream is dry right now. I hope that the rain due in tomorrow will get it up and going again. Will try to keep it posted at the road crossings about stream.

wystiria
05-10-2010, 14:44
Spent the night Saturday the 8th, the stream is running fast and clear. We tented up above the shelter to the right if you are look at the shelter. there are some spots a bit higher than the privy that are perfectly level.

There were some young 20's in the shelter for the weekend whom were polite and quiet but burned a lot of green wood (lots of smoke) I got the impression they are there often.

No trash other than theirs (which looked like they were planning to pack out) and hte privy is in great shape. Was hoping Mr. Sasquatch would make an appearnce but it was not to be :)

sasquatch2014
05-10-2010, 16:33
Spent the night Saturday the 8th, the stream is running fast and clear. We tented up above the shelter to the right if you are look at the shelter. there are some spots a bit higher than the privy that are perfectly level.

There were some young 20's in the shelter for the weekend whom were polite and quiet but burned a lot of green wood (lots of smoke) I got the impression they are there often.

No trash other than theirs (which looked like they were planning to pack out) and hte privy is in great shape. Was hoping Mr. Sasquatch would make an appearnce but it was not to be :)

Sorry to have missed you maybe on the next pass we will meet. How were the rocks around the fire pit holding up? i keep meaning to concrete them into place but just have a hard time motivating myself to haul it up the hill. :D

wystiria
05-10-2010, 17:38
Sorry to have missed you maybe on the next pass we will meet. How were the rocks around the fire pit holding up? i keep meaning to concrete them into place but just have a hard time motivating myself to haul it up the hill. :D

Not so great, when we got there we were alone and there was a huge stump (probably had been a chair) smouldering in the fire pit. and a bunch of stones were off to the side. We moved stump and tried to better wall in the embers since we weren't at fire side the whole time (setting up camp etc.)

welllll the kids were not pleased with us since it had been their doing. Never the less after I pointed out that it was very windy and the sparks could start a fire - they didn't leave it alone again....but that stump got burned over night.

Tin Man
05-10-2010, 19:05
the one weekend i had free this month and no heads up? what's up with that? jk :) sounds like you had fun in my backyard :cool:

wystiria
05-11-2010, 09:48
TinMan - I totaly sent you a PM! LOL becasue we were in your backyard and I figured hey maybe I will get to meet Tin Man or Sasquatch, instead I met MedicinMan and Painted Turtle :)

The Perfesser
08-16-2011, 19:43
August 8th, 2011 - decent shelter with tenting sites downhill which are downhill. "Unreliable stream" is unreliable, dry when we got there last week. It is .7 miles from the Champion residence, a purple house north of the shelter on Dover Road/County 20. I found the tap in the driveway to be a real luxury. If southbound, turn left on Dover Rd. and the first house on the right is the Champion's - you cannot see the tap from the road, so walk down the gravel driveway and the tap is clearly marked on the right of the gate. Short but tough hill to the Telephone Pioneers shelter heading south. Easy 3 miles to county road 22 heading north, hot dog stand on the right hand side of 22 if you are so inclined. Beer store 2.8 miles north on 22.

LIhikers
11-30-2013, 23:38
My wife and I spent the night of 11/29/13 tenting at the shelter site. There are a few tent sites up hill from the shelter. The shelter was in good repair with a picnic table and a stone fire place out front. The stream had water as did a number of small streams between the shelter and route 55.

Wise Old Owl
12-01-2013, 00:36

The Cheat
10-06-2014, 19:07
I went by yesterday, I didn't go to the shelter, but the stream was dried up so bring water up with you.

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2014, 19:15
I went by yesterday, I didn't go to the shelter, but the stream was dried up so bring water up with you.

It was still dry after all the rain on Saturday? Ouch.

linus72
05-13-2015, 12:44
has anyone been out to the shelter in the last couple days/weeks? will be out there soon and am curious about the stream - is it reliable at the moment?

Starchild
05-13-2015, 12:59
Planning to hike there on Sat, Post a reminder if I forget.

linus72
05-13-2015, 13:16
depending on when you're out there, you may run into us at the shelter or on the trail! headed sobo from 22 friday for an overnight section hike. if you see a blue camp towel on a black pack, that's your new buddy linus! (that blue towel alas got me my trail name)

linus72
05-16-2015, 18:01
was up there last night. IMPORTANT NOTE - the Champion residence - the pink house on dover rd north of the shelter and quoted as a water source in AWOL's guide - is for sale and the water spigot in the driveway was NOT on. However there was a small stream just west of the road on the trail in a boggy area that we filled up at, and the stream by the shelter was running. After a deluge overnight, this stream was running much more, and all sources from the shelter southwest to RT 55 were running high this morning on the hike out. This could change but as of today there's a lot of water to be had. I will update AWOL in his guide about the champion house if its not already on there or on his website.

hilltackler
10-24-2016, 15:21
anyone been up by the Telephone pioneers shelter lately? We are doing a section over there in 2 weeks and I have read that the water isn't reliable. Any word? Also, according to my Guthooks app, it says the purple house has a spigot available, does that still hold true?
Thanks in advance

hilltackler
11-07-2016, 14:33
Glad I stashed water near the Dover Oak...the water source near and at the Telephone Pioneers shelter is dry, dry, dry!

LIhikers
04-01-2017, 21:37
My wife and I were there a week or so ago.
The shelter and privy were in good shape, the stream was running because of snow melt, there's an enclosed box on the front of the shelter with books for a book exchange library. The natural surrounding were in good shape too.

Grampie
04-02-2017, 13:11
Spent the night during my "01" thru. It was well maintained but you could see evidence of being use by a lot of locals to party. As I remember it was quite close to the road.