PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions on hammock use

medestar
02-22-2009, 23:15
First time posting, not sure if there is a thread on this already. I can't seem to find one. But I was wondering if there seems to be any restrictions on use of hammock in national or state parks. Has any one heard of any problems with people thinking it damages trees (assuming they hammock is use properly). NOt only along the AT, but elsewhere. Thanks for any info.:sun

Bearpaw
02-22-2009, 23:23
First time posting, not sure if there is a thread on this already. I can't seem to find one. But I was wondering if there seems to be any restrictions on use of hammock in national or state parks. Has any one heard of any problems with people thinking it damages trees (assuming they hammock is use properly). NOt only along the AT, but elsewhere. Thanks for any info.:sun
There are not many places out there on the AT corridor that restrict hammocks, though there was recently a thread that Maryland State Parks did not allow hammocking.

OutdoorsMan
02-22-2009, 23:28
Not the AT but I am going to Philmont, New Mexico this summer (a Boy Scout high adventure reservation) and it is my understanding that hammocks are not allowed there. I am not a "hammock hanger" (yet) but in my observation, they would seem to leave less impact onnthe environment than tenting does.

fredmugs
02-22-2009, 23:35
You are supposed to sleep in shelters while going thru GSMNP. Tenting is allowed when the shelters are full so I imagine that would include hammocks.

SGT Rock
02-22-2009, 23:38
You can hammock in the PArk fine. Especially if you wait until all the other hikers fill it up first. No hammock specific rules at all.

Grinder
02-23-2009, 09:01
In Big Meadow Campground on Skyline Drive, I asked the ranger/ gate attendant if hammocks were permitted. He said yes, if you have straps. He mentioned something about 2 " width. I said "1" twice around" and he was happy.

unclemjm
02-23-2009, 12:58
Not AT... but I have never had a problem hanging in Texas or Arkansas State Parks and that is based on asking first as opposed to just not being challenged.

JaxHiker
02-23-2009, 14:14
I've been told to take my hammock down in a state park. They say deer run into the lines. I don't buy it. Except for the irresponsible jerks that leave clotheslines up after they leave maybe.

calculating infinity
02-27-2009, 12:13
florida state parks do not allow hammocks

medestar
03-01-2009, 16:06
I am planning on going to Isle Royale this summer. I checked with them, and they allow hammocks if it does not damage trees. So that's a plus. I would imagine it is the same at all National Parks, but not sure.

TJ aka Teej
03-01-2009, 16:20
Hammocks allowed in Baxter *only* if the trees you tie to are in a designated campsite. Hammocking is allowed at the Birches if you use the trees by the tent platform.

eightknots
03-03-2009, 07:22
I do not know if I drew a frump mean'e Ranger at Shad Landing MDSP, but we had serious communication x 3 and I PM all the listed MD offices over the subject.. and Major Do Do head zug'ed my attempt to Hammock in Eastern MD SP's.. However I was able last year to Hang at Janes Island SP which is also in Major Fart face's Eastern SP's control. Good Luck and I wish you happy times and NO Major Dings.
Dave EK

bigfoot2
03-03-2009, 13:32
That's just descrimination!:mad:

Bucky Katt
03-03-2009, 13:44
You are supposed to sleep in shelters while going thru GSMNP. Tenting is allowed when the shelters are full so I imagine that would include hammocks.

Why is this the case? Is it b/c of bears and they want people in shelters, first? Or....some other reason?

RAW
03-03-2009, 15:15
So, what do these rangers expect you to do if you stop at sundown and you're a few miles from a shelter?

I'm figuring if you're out of sight of the trail, no one will be the wiser, but . . . .

eightknots
03-04-2009, 06:51
I do believe its the old small mind that just shuts down the entire Hammock Hang in SP's. Ropes and such from past campers, nails in trees etc. Who knows, dont cross the road when a cager is using his/her hand held Cell phone .. shut up I know.
ek

Shutterbug
03-05-2009, 23:18

A wise man once told me, "It is sometimes better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission." I have found that when it comes to using a hammock, it is best not to ask.

Cannibal
03-09-2009, 13:39
From experience, hammocks (anything tied to trees, poles, buildings, etc.) are not allowed in Florida or Colorado State Parks.

BigFoot2002
03-09-2009, 18:02
In '02 I asked a ranger in SNP for rules clarification, and he replied he didn't consider what I was doing with my Hennesey to even be camping. I was usually alone, set up at dusk, got back on the trail at dawn, and built no fire.

jpanderson80
03-10-2009, 10:08
That seems to be an unusual reply from a ranger. The rangers I've dealt with are a little more strict - because of all the meat heads out there abusing the areas.

Perhaps rangers and the parks service need to reconsider some of their rules. If hammockers are left to do their thing, they'll probably take care of the trees - since trees are fairly important in the hanging process. :cool: