PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Recommendation

Osceola
02-23-2009, 08:57
After reading the forums for a few weeks I think I am ready for my month long section hike this summer. My plan is to start at the Smokies and just go North for a month until wherever I am. I will be doing this in the month of June.

I have a 20 deg. bag, but will this be too hot or could I save weight by using something lighter for warm weather? I live in FL so I don't really know what to expect in mountains and I don't want to sweat to death or freeze.

Frick Frack
02-23-2009, 09:06
You can expect anything in the NC/TN mountains. If it was me I would take the bag you already have. I sleep cold though. You could always shake some of the feathers to the underside of it depending on what kind of bag it is.

jersey joe
02-23-2009, 09:46
You may still get some nights in June where you will be happy you have a 20 degree bag. I'd bring it and leave it unzipped if it gets too warm.

Blissful
02-23-2009, 11:06
Probably okay with 30 degree, but better safe. I tend to err on the side of a warmer bag. Plus in a month hike you wil likely ascend the balds, Roan etc which can get cold.

garlic08
02-23-2009, 11:56
How heavy is the 20* bag? If it's an old synthetic rectangular job that weighs four pounds, yeah, maybe you'd be happy with an upgrade. There are some nice 1-pound summer bags for less than $200 out there that could work well in June.

On the other hand, if it's a nice 2 pound down bag, it's probably not worth replacing it for a month on the AT. Unzip it, shake down off the top (if it's unbaffled), or use it upside down or as a blanket.

Osceola
02-23-2009, 12:19
It is a synthetic mummy bag. I got it just for the sake of it was 75% off. I am begining to see how relative the ratings are as well, b/c I was in GA last month in the low 20's and I thought I was going to turn into a popsicle. I was just worried that I would be sweaty and misearble every night. Glad I asked though. I think the highest mountain in Florida is in Disney World and its made out of cement so I appreciate the feedback from those living above sea level.

Sly
02-23-2009, 13:59
Synthetic bags lose their loft and warmth but not their weight. In June you should be fine with a 30* bag but a 20* bag is best all around.

if you don't want to spent alot of money on a down bag, try Campmor.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___73050_B_

Ekul
02-23-2009, 14:27
if you are worried bring a liner. they are lightweight and dont cost a fortune. Wind is what gets me cold. Also, if you are baking in june in a 20* unzip and use the liner as a sheet