PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to pick out a good pack for my boyfriend

Time Traveler
02-23-2009, 13:12
My boyfriend and I are planning a spring break backpacking trip through the highlands in Virginia and I'm trying to pick out a pack that will work best for him. He has a very long torso and is a pretty big guy(not overweight!hehe). He's 6'1" and will probably need a bag with more space too cary more food, water, bigger sleeping bag etc.

Personally I used a small lightwieght Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude KI on my thru-hike last year and was quite content. I was thinking of a Granite Gear Vapor pack for him only because I saw they were so popular last season.

Any advice?:-?

calculating infinity
02-23-2009, 13:18
ula circuit maybe? or the ohm

rpenczek
02-23-2009, 13:56
I have a GG Nimbus Meridian. I added a hip belt from one of their Light Series packs for an additional $12. I really like this pack. Rides almost as well as my Gregory Whitney at less than 1/2 the weight.

Of course, you are a GG user, so you know the quality.

Ekul
02-23-2009, 14:23
My boyfriend and I are planning a spring break backpacking trip through the highlands in Virginia and I'm trying to pick out a pack that will work best for him. He has a very long torso and is a pretty big guy(not overweight!hehe). He's 6'1" and will probably need a bag with more space too cary more food, water, bigger sleeping bag etc.

Personally I used a small lightwieght Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude KI on my thru-hike last year and was quite content. I was thinking of a Granite Gear Vapor pack for him only because I saw they were so popular last season.

Any advice?:-?

took me three packs and three trips sectioning to find a bag that fit me. Is he new to the backpacking thang? I choose REI simply because I could try different packs out without the fear of not being able to return em. I broke the first two packs I tried and returned them without question from REI.

ULA catalyst-- buddy of mine just bought. its simple, big enough, small enough, if that makes sense. Its comfortable if you know how to pack it and vice ve if not.

I ended up with a gregory baltoro 70. pack is a little on the heavy side but works great for winter. I think its gonna roast my back in the summer tho.

goodluck and good hiking

Blissful
02-23-2009, 14:26
Get gear first then pack last.

Pootz
02-23-2009, 14:34
It would be best for him to take all of his gear to the outfitter and see what works for his gear. This will also help him find one that is comfortable.

bigcranky
02-23-2009, 17:24
If he is just starting, I would get the REI Flash 65 pack (http://www.rei.com/product/778468) for $150. Not a bad price, a decent size, and it can be swapped out if it doesn't work. It comes in three sizes so he can get a good fit, too.

Have fun on the hike. Great location.

skinewmexico
02-23-2009, 17:59
I keep waiting for a comment about how everyone wants a girlfriend who wants to buy them a pack. I had the precursor to the Flash 65, and it was a great pack;, I just went lighter. You can also use the Flash frameless, and it's really light. REI should have a 20% off sale pretty soon too.

Sly
02-23-2009, 18:28

The only problem I have with that method is they could end up with an incredibly large pack.

Egads
02-23-2009, 18:31

It would be best for him to take all of his gear to the outfitter and see what works for his gear. This will also help him find one that is comfortable.

Good advice

Gotta try on a pack. Good news is that nearly all the cottage industry gear shops let you return undamaged product within ~30 days of purchase, so you can try a ULA, Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, & Mountain Laurel Designs packs without fear.

I have a Osprey Stratos 32 for summer or weekends, ULA Catalyst for long trips, and a Gossamer Gear G-4 for mid length or winter trips. I also prefer the Gossamer Gear for long overnight hikes 20> mpd.

superman
02-23-2009, 19:30
It doesn't matter whether it's this pack or that pack. It has to hold all the stuff you're going to take with you and it has to fit you. Like shoes...it's mostly about the fit. What works for me isn't going to be what you need. :)

bigcranky
02-23-2009, 20:17
I keep waiting for a comment about how everyone wants a girlfriend who wants to buy them a pack.

Got one already. My lovely wife bought my current pack for me as a Christmas gift several years ago. Last week she bought me a set of Icebreaker 150 long john bottoms for my section hike in March.

Step back, fellas, she's taken.

Nearly Normal
02-23-2009, 21:13
I have a GG Nimbus Meridian. I added a hip belt from one of their Light Series packs for an additional $12. I really like this pack. Rides almost as well as my Gregory Whitney at less than 1/2 the weight.

Of course, you are a GG user, so you know the quality.

Does it fit a long torso? I'm 6'1" with a 23 inch fit.
That pack only comes in regular and short. My main bitch with the company. Most of their packs don't come in a long.

booger
02-25-2009, 23:19
I have been real pleased with my Deuter ATC 65-10. It was the most comfy pack I tried on and walked a few blocks with 25lbs of weight

skinewmexico
02-25-2009, 23:45
Got one already. My lovely wife bought my current pack for me as a Christmas gift several years ago. Last week she bought me a set of Icebreaker 150 long john bottoms for my section hike in March.

Step back, fellas, she's taken.

Ha! Mine got me Lunar Solo.

sbennett
02-25-2009, 23:53
Ha! Mine got me Lunar Solo.

Dude, I'm beginning to think you have a TON of gear!

weary
02-27-2009, 15:43
My advice is to let your friend buy his own pack. A pack needs to fit like a pair of boots. It's the one piece of gear I would rather buy myself. Give him an REI or LL Bean gift certificate and let him make the choice.

Weary

skinewmexico
02-27-2009, 16:15
Dude, I'm beginning to think you have a TON of gear!

Shhhh..............the wife might hear you. And I've actually sold a ton, so I could buy lighter stuff. But I'm down to 8-9 packs, 12 sleeping bags, and 8 tents. How are you gonna know what you like if you don't try a bunch of it?

maddi
02-28-2009, 12:29
23 inch torso...try the a Deuter. I have a 21" torso, which is longer than a lot of "large" packs fit comfortably, even if they say they will (I can squeeze into an Osprey Atmos 65 Large, but my shoulders pull the pack off my waist). My Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 still has about 2"+ of upward adjustability. High quality, fairly lightweight, carries very comfortably. Deuter packs are fully adjustable from 15" to about 23"+.