PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Trail and Bearikade

ChinMusic
02-23-2009, 15:33
I have a trip planned to Alaska in August. I know my Bearikade (weekender) fits well on top of (between main body and lid) my Osprey Aether 60 but I find the Vapor Trail so much more comfortable.

Has anyone used a Vapor Trail and a Bearikade together. I know the Bearikade fits into the pack but it takes up a ton of space.

Dogwood
02-23-2009, 18:06
I have used Vapor Trail packs extensively. Yes, you can fit the Bearikade Weekender(9"X10", 650 cubic ins.)in a Vapor Trail either vertically or jam it in horizontally. I have done it both ways. Even though I haven't done it myself, I suppose a Bearikade Expedition(9"X14", 900 cubic ins.)would fit vertically. Like you have already noted the Bearikades take up a lot of cubes inside the Vapor Trail. Keep in mind the max 3600 cubic in volume that's often quoted for a Vapor Trail. To load this pack to its max volume requires extending the collar quite high which, IMO, makes the whole pack a bit unstable. Placing a heavy item like a filled Bearikade at or near the top of this pack will only increase the instability when loaded to max capacity. If you decide to use a Bearikade Weekender and Vapor Trail together see to it that you don't weigh this pack down for very long beyond it's recommended carrying wt range of about 30-maybe 35 lbs. or you might find it less comfortable than a larger volumed pack and you could start to experience pack de-construction problems. And, pack your lighter items, like clothing, near the top of this fully loaded pack. IMO, using a Bearikade Expedition with this pack starts to border on giving serious consideration to going to a larger volumed pack, especially if your trip is more than 3-4 days or if you may be bushwacking in Alaska.

Dogwood
02-23-2009, 18:11
You might want to check out Mark Verber's well written and detailed gear review on the Vapor Trail. He also mentions using the Bearikade Weekender with this pack.

ChinMusic
02-23-2009, 18:50
Thanks Dogwood

For the Alaska trip (5 days) I really don't think the VT will work, but I'm gonna load it up with what I think I'm taking and see. I also have a Syncpack (front pack) that will be holding my camera equipment (Alaska-type trip only). Would the weight in the front (~9 pounds) count toward the 30-35 recommended for the VT? Or would the front weight actually help?

I'm just kicking around ideas. I'll prob have to take the Osprey. I'm loading up the Aether 60 for a trip this weekend (with the Syncpack) as a trial run.

I really have a need for the Syncpack for my camera equipment. I want quick access. I've gone with hanging the camera around my neck with a chest strap but that is torture.