PDA

View Full Version : Electric Shavers....are they any good?

sirbingo
02-23-2009, 16:47
I know they are heavy so I would not be using one on the Trail but when I return to civilization Mrs. Sirbingo likes me somewhat clean shaven...However, I can't stand shaving...Its a hassle, I cut myself, my neck breaks out in a rash, blades get dull fast and refills are expensive.... Ugh!

Every few years I debate getting an electric shaver...do they even work? I don't need to be totally smooth, 5 o'clock shadow is fine be me...should I buy an electric shaver? What kind works the best? :o

seedog
02-23-2009, 16:51
Oh the tragedy. I haven't used an electric in years. Change blades often, and this helps alot. have you tried the old mug and brush approach. This is my prefered method. Use some nivea or other balm after you shave. This will help w/ breakouts
C.

YoungMoose
02-23-2009, 16:55
i think that the electic shaves dont get you nice and clean cut. i think the razors work the best

Ender
02-23-2009, 17:13
Electric shavers won't get as close a shave as normal razors, but it's close enough, and a hell of a lot easier to shave.

I was always getting razor burn with normal razors, but switched to electric and rarely have problems any more.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2009, 17:14
i swear by my norelco

Rockhound
02-23-2009, 17:17
i swear by my norelco
Lone Wolf can give you good advice on a lot of topics somehow I don't think electric shavers is one of em'.

Rockhound
02-23-2009, 17:19
Unless of course he uses one to shave his legs.

Feral Bill
02-23-2009, 18:24
How about this (http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2008/08/windup_shaver_for_a_smooth_outdoor_trip_video.html ) ?

Franco
02-23-2009, 18:29
Could not resist this one. Having witnessed the flop of the first electric cars ( the cable run out too soon and used to get all tangled up) I just had to find out if there was a solution for electric shavers in the bush, not that I shave in the bush, but you never know.
Alas, I was disappointed once again...
I use a Phillips 3 head thing, works well and gives a pretty close shave.
Franco
For the trail if you use alcohol you may try to just rub some of it on your face and light it . That should burn the facial air.
If you try this let me know how effective it is on a scale of 1 to 5

Jimmers
02-23-2009, 18:46
Shaving in the shower with a Mach 3 razor works for me. I just use whatever soap or body wash gel is laying around. Works great. The beauty of this is that even if you do cut yourself, the got water in the shower seems to prevent it from bleeding badly. Also eliminates razor burn.

As for the electrics.....I've owned several over the years, and have never really liked any of them. 3 hours after I use them it looks like I never shaved. And if you let the hair go too long they end up pulling instead of cutting.

Summit
02-23-2009, 19:39
i swear by my norelcoReal men (hikers) don't use Norelcos! :p :D

Lone Wolf
02-23-2009, 19:40
Real men (hikers) don't use Norelcos! :p :D

oh shoot! you're right.

bkrownd
02-23-2009, 19:46
Every few years I debate getting an electric shaver...do they even work?

The short answer is yes they work. The long answer is that there is a WIDE range in quality. In the old days you could get a $50 Norelco or Remington and it would do the job fine. My first Remington microscreen lasted for a decade. However nowadays shavers are mostly poor quality disposable plastic consumer junk. I've been through many shavers since that first microscreen, and none has been nearly as good and together they have not lasted collectively as long as that one. One of them (called "Torq") was so bad about pulling hairs instead of cutting them that I could not use it at all. Some models break easily when dropped or in airline luggage. Recently I have been using two shavers to do the job - a 20 year old cheap-o "norelco" for the rough cut and a newer "remington" for the final cut. (I cut weekly and it gets a bit shaggy)

The best shaver I've had in recent years was a simple Wahl microscreen style model, but I don't know if they make that model anymore because they disappeared from stores years ago. I can still find them on Amazon.com.

One key thing with electric razors is your face shouldn't be dirty, sticky or sweaty - it should be dry and feel very clean. If you're shaggy, start with the trimmer side and mow the shag down to bristles first. Don't get too vigorous with the shaver and scrape all the skin off your face - you'll have to be patient and attack some spots from different directions and angles to get groups of hairs growing on various convoluted facial surfaces. None of the shavers are good at getting all the areas. You develop a system of attack after a while. Afterwards wash well to try to clean out the pores. Different people's skin will also respond differently to the frequency of shaving - some have better results doing it daily, while others have skin that doesn't like it that often.

Also, if your shaver survives a couple years you'll probably have to go inside to change the rechargeable battery. The simple boxy Wahl was easy to open and change the battery with a soldering iron. Many of the others don't open easily because they want you to throw them away and buy another.

bkrownd
02-23-2009, 19:51
I've never used a blade in my life, since I got that Remington as a present before i had anything resembling a whisker yet. When I lived in Boulder a few years ago there was a barber shop where they'd straight-razor you before your haircut. First time I went in there was quite an experience! Yow!

Mrs Baggins
02-23-2009, 19:55
Both hubby and son use electric and they use Williams 'Lectric" preshave and swear by it. Maybe that makes the big difference for them. As a female, I use a straight edge over an electric because 1) I can shave in the shower or anywhere there is water and 2) it shaves waaaaaaay closer. But then I don't shave every single day. For a guy, most of whom shave every day, I would think electric would work just fine.

bonsaihiker
02-23-2009, 21:12
Hi, new to the forum but thought I'd have something to offer here.

I've used electric shavers since first using my father's for my first shave. Except for my Army training--had to use a blade, and hated it. My whole neck bled every time I shaved--and I tried it for a year or more.

I've used Norelco, Remington, and Braun. I put up with pulling hair, using trimmer attachments, and less-than-close shaves for years because at least I wasn't removing a layer of skin along with the stubble. My current shaver is by far the best I've ever owned, the most comfortable, the cleanest, and of course, the most expensive. It's the Braun 8985, and it has two screens (more comfortable than one), a pivoting head (shaves much closer and more comfortably around the jaw and chin), a good, sharp trimmer, and best of all, a very nice built-in trimmer between the two shaver screens that gets all the longer hairs. I rarely have to use the regular trimmer attachment unless I've gone quite a long time without shaving. This shaver also comes with a recharging/cleaning base that will automatically clean the shaver with an alcohol solution and it will heat itself dry. I've had it almost 3 years and it's still going strong. The first set of screens lasted over two years (you're supposed to change them every 18 months, but they didn't need to be changed and they are expensive). The cleaning solution cartridge lasts about 2 months as I don't clean the shaver every day.

That's quite a bit of info, maybe more than you wanted, but I really, really like this shaver and can't say enough good things about it.

Anyway, great forum. I've learned a lot here, and hopefully I'll find something else to share in the future.

sheepdog
02-23-2009, 22:01
Welcome bonsaihiker

boarstone
02-24-2009, 09:17
Just to add to your decision: If you decide on a shaver don't forget...the blade head will get dull and will have to be changed. Check for price of replacement blade w/the shaver you choose and the ease/non-ease of getting the replacement. Usually involves shipping charges/long wait.

bkrownd
02-24-2009, 14:48
Check for price of replacement blade w/the shaver you choose and the ease/non-ease of getting the replacement.

Yeah, stock up on some replacement blades and screens at the same time. In a couple years you'll have to mail-order them.

atraildreamer
02-24-2009, 20:54
Real men (hikers) don't use Norelcos! :p :D

Shave!...on a hike?:-?:eek::)

SunnyWalker
02-24-2009, 21:14
I have found that many of my problems in shaving was i was pressing too hard against my skin, wanting a good close shave. Since I have 'lightened up" my skin problem has gone away. Try it. The downside is I have a shadow at 5 pm. But I don't mind, anymore.

bonsaihiker
02-25-2009, 19:40
I have found that many of my problems in shaving was i was pressing too hard against my skin, wanting a good close shave. Since I have 'lightened up" my skin problem has gone away. Try it. The downside is I have a shadow at 5 pm. But I don't mind, anymore.

Funny that you mentioned that. I've found myself that I have more problems if I wait too long in the morning to shave. If I shave within 30 min of getting up I have far fewer problems (ingrown hairs), but like you, I have a shadow late in the day. That's one reason I like the electric shavers--they don't shave as close, and my skin is healthier.

Sheepdog: Thanks for the welcome!

Summit
02-26-2009, 08:26
Shave!...on a hike?:-?:eek::)Never have . . . never will! :)

Lone Wolf
02-26-2009, 08:28
weenies shave on a hike

julian
02-27-2009, 05:06
I haven't shaved for three months and am loving it! When I did, I always used an electric beard trimmer set on the lowest setting (like one day of stubble) as it was the only thing that didn't irritate my skin.

4eyedbuzzard
02-27-2009, 09:03
Electrics work best if you shave every day. The longer the stubble the worse they work.