PDA

View Full Version : Slumberjack 30* bags...anyone using one?

webejpn01
02-23-2009, 17:10
I am trying to set my little bro up for our section hike at the end of april on the AT.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the slumberjack 30* mummy bag?

I have a Mountain Hardware 15* bag that is huge when compressed compared to the Slumberjacks we were looking at.

Thanks in advance!

bigmac_in
02-23-2009, 17:14
I've used one on my last three section hikes (3 or 4 nights each). No problems - do you have a specific question? It does compact nicely and kept me warm, but never was in a night colder than 40 degrees. I just bought a Big Agnes bag because I wanted something with a little more room to move around.

webejpn01
02-23-2009, 17:18
I was just not familiar with that brand.

I dumped close to $200 on my Mountain hardware bag in '06 and it doesent compress worth a darn. And when I took him shopping and I saw the price and how much they compressed, i couldnt believe my eyes.

He will take a standard bag, but Ill need a long.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

webejpn01
02-23-2009, 17:27
I just noticed on campmor site that all of their 30* mummy bags have a compression size of 7.5x12" However, the one I saw at local sporting stores this past weekend were about half that in length. Anyone know why or does campmor just list approx. sizes????

skinewmexico
02-23-2009, 17:40
I think Slumberjack is pretty optomistic on their bag temperatures.

HikerMan36
02-24-2009, 10:12
I have a 30* Slumberjack Bag Regular size and it is too short for me and I am only 5ft. 10in. It DID NOT keep me warm when temps. hovered around 30* I had to put on all my clothes in order to stay warm enough. Also the zipper on my bag gave me quite a bit of trouble it was constantly snagging the material and getting jammed up in its own track. I think it falls back on the old saying that "You get what you pay for".

iesman69
02-24-2009, 10:46
Are you looking at down or synthetic? I bought a 40/45deg Slumberjack "Saguaro"(SP?) CHEAP($39.95) from REI a year or so ago and it's kept me warm down to 32deg in my hammock. Yeah, I was surprised too...it's down and does compress small.

Doughnut
02-24-2009, 15:10
I have one for summer camping.

I agree that they are probably a little optimistic in their temperature ratings.
Mine is fine for just below 40 degrees, then I start putting on clothes)

I have a campmor 20* down bag that does not copmpress as much but I think it's the insulation material. The weight is about the same I reckon, and I'd rather have the down campmor so I carry it far more often,

DoughNut

webejpn01
02-24-2009, 17:31
So why does slumberjack advertise such a large compression size vs. the actual size i saw in the store tubes?

Feral Bill
02-24-2009, 17:34
So why does slumberjack advertise such a large compression size vs. the actual size i saw in the store tubes?

I'd guess thats the size of the stuff sacks they are shipped with. Indersized stuff sacks stink.

zoidfu
02-24-2009, 17:35
I think Slumberjack is pretty optomistic on their bag temperatures.

I can vouch for that. Years ago, I had a 10 degree slumberjack in about 10 degree weather. I thought I was going to freeze to death even with all of my clothes on....

The zippers also catch on the material like there's no tomorrow. I would avoid slumberjack at all costs.

Wise Old Owl
02-24-2009, 17:35
Very unhappy with Slumberjack - Donated 2 of them to the Boy Scout troop.

boarstone
02-24-2009, 17:39
Depends...going to use it again? ...in colder situations?...highter elevations?...will he hike ever again using it?...or just car camp?...I've used this bag and I wouldn't depend on the 30* rating. Figure 45* w/thermals on. This is not counting wind/if using a tent/hammock...out in the open, in the trees/woods...plan on wearing something[/*] to bed while in it. If tenting, use a good pad, if hammocking, a quilt around hammock outside/other cold barrier.

webejpn01
02-24-2009, 18:12
I currently have a Mountain Hardware 2nd Dimension 15* LONG bag and it doesent compress very well and weighs 4lbs. Great bag, just big and heavy.

calculating infinity
02-24-2009, 18:39
i use a thirty degree bag from them and ive had no problems with the zippers or the size, it fits well and im 6'2". i havent had any temp problems but ive only used it in south florida. the compressability is nice for such a cheap bag.