PDA

View Full Version : technique for trekking poles?

volleypc
02-23-2009, 19:06
Yeah, this sounds absurd and I feel crazy asking.. I have never used trekking poles but decided to give them a try this year since I have had some issues with one of my knees this past year. I just assumed you would use the normal arm/leg motion you use walking, but I was reading someone else talking about using them and he said left foot and left arm together.. that does not makes sense to me, but is there any truth to it?

Old Grouse
02-23-2009, 19:28
Google Pete's Poles and you'll get lots of info.

handlebar
02-23-2009, 19:29
I move my arms and trekking poles just like I would if I weren't carrying the poles. If I'm travelling on the level or uphill, I place the poles where they fall using a normal arm swing then use my lats to push powering my pace. When going down a steep hill, I place the poles a little ahead and use the poles to take some of my weight---still placing the pole opposite the leg I'm about to plant. Try it a while. I think it's quite intuitive.

Summit
02-23-2009, 19:30
I'd suggest a 'google search' on trekking pole techniques. Lots of good stuff, youtube videos and the like. Wrist strap proper use and adjustment is more important than which pole you plant when. On non-steep terrain, normal arm swing with walking generally works best. You shouldn't have to concentrate on the poles. After a while you'll practically forget about them, except for steep downhills.

There I use a same-pole-as-foot each step placement and it works wonderfully to reduce knee/leg strain going downhill. I never get the quivering legs on steep downhills that I used to without poles.

On steep uphills, it's pretty much pole for step too, except you use the pole opposite to your foot placement. A little variety doesn't hurt either. Sometimes on steep uphills/downhills I will double pole for a few strokes/steps.

G. Rabbit
02-23-2009, 19:44
Be careful not to confuse trekking pole videos on youtube with nordic walking videos. They are similar, but totally different things.

Rockhound
02-23-2009, 19:56
I use sticks but if you use those fancy metal poles with the wrist straps only use em when you need to use your hands. Albert Mt. comes to mind. People have broken wrists and separated shoulders from poles getting stuck while their momentum keeps pulling them forward.

Hikerhead
02-23-2009, 20:30
I use sticks but if you use those fancy metal poles with the wrist straps only use em when you need to use your hands. Albert Mt. comes to mind. People have broken wrists and separated shoulders from poles getting stuck while their momentum keeps pulling them forward.

I agree. I would never suggest anyone to hike with the straps attached to their wrist. If you do and you do fall, you have a good chance of poking yourself with the handle or straining/breaking your wrist. With the pole not attached to you, you'll just fall on it or it will fall off to the side. But I never fall so I'm not an expert on this. :)

bigcranky
02-23-2009, 22:11
I agree. I would never suggest anyone to hike with the straps attached to their wrist. If you do and you do fall, you have a good chance of poking yourself with the handle or straining/breaking your wrist.

The straps are kinda the whole point. Without the wrist strap, I think you lose most of the benefit of the poles. Either you are gripping waaaay to hard, or the poles aren't taking enough of the load.

I fall all the time -- one reason to carry poles, natch -- and I have yet to impale myself or break anything. (Well, except a pole one time.) The poles regularly keep me from hitting the ground when I fall. Love 'em.

Without the wrist strap, I don't think they would do as good a job in keeping me mostly upright.

Summit
02-23-2009, 22:12
I use sticks but if you use those fancy metal poles with the wrist straps only use em when you need to use your hands. Albert Mt. comes to mind. People have broken wrists and separated shoulders from poles getting stuck while their momentum keeps pulling them forward.I descended Albert Mtn (SOBO) last summer using my poles. Sure (common sense) I removed the straps in a couple of places to use my hands and feet to climb/crawl down the couple of tough places, but most of it I did with straps on and the poles with straps bearing my weight made the descent a delight to do! :)

Summit
02-23-2009, 22:17
The straps are kinda the whole point. Without the wrist strap, I think you lose most of the benefit of the poles. Either you are gripping waaaay to hard, or the poles aren't taking enough of the load.

I fall all the time -- one reason to carry poles, natch -- and I have yet to impale myself or break anything. (Well, except a pole one time.) The poles regularly keep me from hitting the ground when I fall. Love 'em.

Without the wrist strap, I don't think they would do as good a job in keeping me mostly upright.Gotta agree with you there 100% BC. Anyone heard of someone falling and impaling themselves on a pole? I haven't.

Rockhound
02-23-2009, 22:24
Like I said, I just use sticks, so take it for what it's worth, but I am aware of 2 broken wrists and 1 separated shoulder as a result of hiking straps.

Compass
02-23-2009, 23:36
Recommend using poles but not the straps.

1. Less likely to bend poles when the get stuck.
2. I have and seen several injuries and read two journals of hikers tripping badly over poles that were attached to themselves by straps.
3. Contured grips are all that is needed to hold the pole.
4. The grime that the strap fabric will hold is attactive to pocupines which will eat them
4. Do not forget it is lighter.

greentick
02-24-2009, 05:27
Google Pete's Poles and you'll get lots of info.

Funny, I used that site when I started with poles. Still have it bookmarked. Good basic technique. Then hit the woods and fit it to yourself. Walking with them is second nature now. I have lightened up enough that I don't really need them but they make my arms feel productive on the ups and downs. I also usually tarp or tarptent and they get used for supports.

buz
02-24-2009, 09:36
While there are times when I don't use the straps, like on technical sections, 95%+ of the time, for me, the straps are an integral part of using the poles most efficiently. I can have a very light grip on the poles, and they propel me forward, and on the recovery, with straps, i can literally not hold the poles. This eliminates hand/arm wearing out. But HYOH, for me, I would never take the straps off the poles. I really believe they are key parts of using poles most efficiently.

Cabin Fever
02-24-2009, 12:01
Strap or no strap I have found that length is the most important issue for me. Having the poles longer is better on flatter terrain or downhills, but if you are climbing shorter is better.

I found that having my poles to long made my shoulders hurt because my arms were being extended further from my body. I shortened them up some and like the piston-like action I get from them now.

I go opposite arm/leg. More natural for me.

ChinMusic
02-24-2009, 13:11
On a severe downhill or a difficult section I take my hands OUT of the straps. One of my buds broke his thumb on a fall from the strap twisting his thumb during a "simple" fall. I have noticed pressure on my thumb as well on such falls.

I would say I have my hands IN the straps 95% of the time.

BrianLe
02-25-2009, 02:40
Pole straps do seem to be yet another of the many polarizing issues among hikers. I'm strongly in the "always use straps" camp, but I know that there are a variety of ways of using poles, to include with or without straps, and there are poles made explicitly without straps, or at least one version is, the Gossamer Gear Lightrek (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek4_Trekking_Poles.html).
I wouldn't consider using them, they don't fit my style, but they clearly do work well for others.

I found it interesting on the trail last year hiking with a variety of people, comparing how they used their poles. Each likely thought that the particular technique they had settled into was the "right way" to do it (me too :-)). I agree with whoever suggested looking at specific technique ideas online, then trying it out and settling on technique that makes most sense to you.

Mercy
02-25-2009, 09:41
I wonder how often straps have PREVENTED breaking a wrist? I broke a wrist one time years ago when I caught myself falling with an extended arm.... oh, and separated my shoulder, too. Granted, I wasn't hiked, but no poles were involved!

While it is my desire to NOT break any bones, I'd choose a broken wrist over a broken hip any day. If being attached to my pole kept me from falling really hard...

HYOH

Hikerhead
02-25-2009, 17:07
My poles have prevented many falls. Use the straps for hanging them on the wall.

hopefulhiker
02-25-2009, 17:28
I wondered about using poles too.. but I don't regret taking them one bit... I like Pete's pole page.. That is the way I ended up using the poles through trial and error..
One thing I thought about was just using one pole... because there are a few times where you have to collaspe your poles and carry them in one hand on technical climbs or descents...

q-tip
02-25-2009, 19:17
I am in the opposite arm leg camp using the straps virtually all the time. I have really bad ankles and the poles give me stability and a peace of mind. they save my ankles on a daily basis even on flat ground. This seems like a personal decision, so whatever works....

ChinMusic
02-25-2009, 19:30
On flatish ground, I do NOT use the poles with every stride, but rather every other step.

example:

right foot and right pole go forward at the same time
right foot finishes and left foot goes forward, right pole is still going back
right foot goes forward again and left pole goes forward.

My poles only have half as many "strides" as my legs.

Sounds goofy but it feels natural to me. If I try to use a pole with EVERY step it feels unnatural. Don't know why.