PDA

View Full Version : First Light vs. Cloudburst II--Help

q-tip
02-23-2009, 23:07
I am starting my thru-hike on March 2nd, and I expect the temps at night to be in the low 20's-30's from GA into TN. Which tent should I bring for the first two months. I can use the Black Diamond First Light (3.2 lbs single wall 4 season) for 2 months then switch out to the Cloudburst II tarptent or just use the tarptent. I have a WM 15 degree down bag. Because I am starting slow, (old man at 52) I might be doing some more stealth camping early on and I prefer my tent to the shelters. I just watched 19 degree wind howling thru my tarptent while testing the seams and my beard froze. Any help is much appreciated.

ColdFire
02-23-2009, 23:39
Hello q-tip,

Given the 2 options I personally would choose the Cloudburst Tarptent handsdown. not only will it keep you warmer it will more importantly keep you dryer.

taildragger
02-23-2009, 23:48
^^^^

Agreed, take the cloudburst, I've been in fairly cool temps with mine and have been fine. Use the firstlight for western climbing or for more serious winter weather

Crawl
02-24-2009, 00:59
I third the cloudburst II..... was on the approach in OCT and high winds and cold weather, rain, didn't stop a great night sleep, it's a great tent! And just too easy to set up!

Lucy Lulu
02-24-2009, 07:40
I've not used the Cloudburst, but I used the Firstlight on the AT. In comparison to the Tarptent (Lunar Solo) I did have, the Firstlight definitely kept me warmer. It was also much easier to set up. Can't get much simpler than just quickly popping up a single walled tent with 2 poles. I did not often stake it out unless it was really windy.

On the other hand, for the first 2 months, when it really rained hard, it would sometimes mist through the tent. I was able to pretty much solve this by seam sealing the tent, and setting it up out of the wind if possible. Later on in the hike, when the sealer wore off a bit, I did have a couple more rain issues. I loved this tent though, for it's room and simplicity of set-up. It was a bomb proof little tent that handled the wind well...just not the wind and rain. I kept it through the whole hike since the plus's out weighed the cons for me.

q-tip
02-25-2009, 18:54
Thanks Much you guys, the feedback has been most helpful. Happy trails,

Q

garlic08
02-25-2009, 19:16
One more vote for the Tarptent, as long as you have that nice sleeping bag.

maxNcathy
02-25-2009, 20:46
It would be wise for You to sleep in each one when wet, cold, and windy to see what you think..choose a night when snow is forecast just for good measure.
Happy Trails, Sandalwood

gonewalkabout
02-26-2009, 23:19
Hello q-tip,

Given the 2 options I personally would choose the Cloudburst Tarptent handsdown. not only will it keep you warmer it will more importantly keep you dryer.

With all due respect I disagree. I own and have used a tarptent the contrail I've also used a serria designs devine lightning wich uses a sinilar single wall waterproof brathable material. The trap tent is much cooler due to the hight vetilation built in to reduce condensation. In PA this November I experienced 6 nights around 28-32 F. The best I could tell with my cheap thermator was that my trap tent was no more than 3 degrees warmwr than the ambient at most. My SD is about 5 degerees warmer. A tradtional tent with a fly is warmer still but heavy. The First light will also have less condensation than the traptent if it behaves as my SD does. Trap tents have high convective losses if used as intended there is no way around that.

I go with the lightest tent but HYOH.