PDA

View Full Version : gear replacement on a thru

Pickleodeon
02-24-2009, 12:05
When you're on the trail for a thruhike things are going to wear out. I know everyone uses/abuses gear differently, but lets say on average, how many replacement items does one go through typically on a thruhike. Most people use two different sleeping bags- not wear them out, but switch. What about things like, trailrunners, pants, tshirts, thermarest? How many do you go through on a thru-hike? Thanks.

:banana 3 more weeks til GA!

Frick Frack
02-24-2009, 12:19
Our 2008 SOBO casualities....

Me- Two pairs of boots, one pole failure, 4-5 pairs of socks, one stove, watch band, one h2o bladder, one ceramic filter for our pump

Wife- 1 pr boots (already worn before our hike), 2 pairs of trail runners, 4-5 pairs of socks, 2 pole failures, one h20 bladder

I saw quite a few pack strap & frame failures as well (probably from carrying weight over the recommended limit for that particular pack).

Spirit Walker
02-24-2009, 13:19
Shoes are the most likely item to be replaced. Running shoes stop giving support after about 500 miles, though they may appear sound for a few weeks longer. (OTOH, I've had running shoes fall apart in a week!)

I never did the sleeping bag exchange - too much trouble and too expensive to ship from out west.

I have needed to replace filter elements - but those went in my drift or resupply boxes.

I've also kept spare socks in the boxes - since they do get worn or flattened with time and many miles.

Zip off pants may need to be replaced. They aren't made as well as they used to be and the zippers can break or you can be like my husband who kicks holes in the legs by the way he walks.

Raingear - never works as well as you'd like. I usually just respray waterproofing rather than get new. A lot of hikers switch to a lighter set when it warms up then back to a heavier more waterproof set in New England.

garlic08
02-24-2009, 13:29
Trail runners every 600 miles. I use a Z-rest for my pack frame and it flattens out every 1500 miles or so. I'll go through four pair of Smartwool socks for a 2000 mile hike. Trekking pole tips every 1500 miles or so.

I've stopped using water filters and hydration bladders because they aren't reliable enough for me.

Blissful
02-24-2009, 14:36
This is a great question.

I used two pairs of boots before I switched to trail runners in mid VA. After that I went through four pairs. But I tended to switch early to take care of my feet. I also went through as many insoles.

Plan to buy socks. When you buy depends on the quality sock. I had socks that lasted me from Franklin and NOC to the end of the trail. Bring 3-4 pairs of socks and rotate them.

I did buy a new t shirt in PA, only 'cause I didn't like the one I had. Got it at Cabelas

I also had to buy a new pair of convertible pants because of weight loss.

Other gear depends on you. I switched to a new smaller pack halfway, and had a summer weight and fall weight sleepings bags (mainly so I could carry my new pack).

My BA pad developed a leak twice. I replaced it via warranty exchange in VA (note that Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro is superb with warranty issues and anything else.) and I also had BA mail me a new one to Glencliff.

MileMonster
02-25-2009, 22:13
I went through three pairs of shoes and several pairs of socks. I used two different sleeping bags - 20 degree in south and north, 35 or 45 (can't remember which) in the middle. I think everything else lasted my whole trip. I even finished in the t-shirt I started in. The pack (ULA P2) lasted the whole trip but was done, never to be used again.

- MM.

SGT Rock
02-25-2009, 22:19
815 miles:

-Broke a zipper on my rain jacket in a snowstorm at 500 miles. The jacket probably already had about 300 miles on it. I replaced it and also had to get a pack cover since I was using a Packa.

-Tore up a food bag that already had about 1K of trails on it.

-Ripped up a pair of rain pants that probably had over 500 miles on them before I started (ripped day 1 actually).

-Broke 1 spoon on day 0 (stupid Light My Fire thing) and lost one.

-Shattered on bottle of Polar Pure during a bad winter storm by letting it freeze up solid.

-Wore out a pair of shoes with 700 miles on them (most prior to the AT). Replaced with a set I wore for another 500 miles. Finally replaced with a new set because those were dead when I got off.

-Lost a pair of glove liners.

CrumbSnatcher
02-25-2009, 22:27
people used to be able to get broke gear replaced on the honor system with a simple phone call and a explanation what happened to the piece of gear, til hikers started to abuse it. now they want your credit card info and alot of times you don't get a replacement til they recieve the item first. so they can check it out.

High Life
02-26-2009, 03:11
got thru with two pairs of scarpas
Also leki kindly and quickly replace
The lower ends of my poles after one snapped

hopefulhiker
02-26-2009, 09:12
casualities of the trail.. 3 pair of trailrunners, one leki pole, one BA insulated air core mattress.

Blue Jay
02-26-2009, 10:43
A lot depends on circumstances and how had you use things. I usually get more miles than most with trial runners because I am concerned about my ankles and where I put my feet. I got caught out at night in a thunderstorm and because I could not see well stumbled around for miles and wrecked a good pair. I had a thermorest last an entire thru because I never lay it down even in my tent without some tyvek under it. Nails in shelters take them out overnight. I've thrown out plastic shirts that looked good but smelled, no matter what you washed them in or how often. Another thing you might replace that is not "broken" is anything over 3 pounds. I'm not go light by any means but anything 3 pounds seems to grow exponentially in your pack.

Kirby
02-26-2009, 17:58
Most outfitters on/near the trail have spare Leki pole parts, did not have many problems getting my poles fixed.

Bought new shoes when they died.