PDA

View Full Version : Hostel must haves...

Pages : [1] 2

Miss Janet
02-24-2009, 13:31
I was just looking at the new place here in Franklin and what we have to offer and what we would like to do. I know hostels are talked to death but I want to ask for your input.

What does a hostel need to make it a good place for hikers?
Maybe a top 10 list of essential things...

Sly
02-24-2009, 13:36
Lots of single women hikers. ;)

max patch
02-24-2009, 13:40
Swimming pool

Hooch
02-24-2009, 13:42
Biscuits and tomato gravy. :D

jersey joe
02-24-2009, 13:45
A friendly caretaker.

Sly
Of immediate concern, bed, laundry, shower, kitchen. Extras include internet, TV, phone, music, outdoor deck or picnic table. It would also be nice to have an outdoor sink/hose for cleaning gear (and old towels).

Yeah, heat is nice too!

Rockhound
Showers, kitchen, internet access, laundry facilities, resupply or a shuttle to resupply if not close by, mail drops, phone service, entertainment (TV, movies, music, games, books, etc...), warm beds and someone as wonderful as you to take care of all those hikers.

kanga
02-24-2009, 13:46
a roof. soap. cots. fridge for beer. a stove with lots of pots and pans. paperbacks. heat. showers. toilet. tomato gravy. not necessarily in that order.

kanga
02-24-2009, 13:46
good god, rockhound, are you staying at the hilton? can i come?

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 13:49
good god, rockhound, are you staying at the hilton? can i come? We have all that at Standing Bear with the exception of someone as wonderful as Ms. Janet and you are welcome anytime.

Sly
02-24-2009, 13:51
I donated the 1st game. Trail Magic (http://www.uncommondays.com/shop/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=TM-AT). Won recently with my AT trivia prowess

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 13:51
lights out at 10 and no alcohol allowed

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 13:52
Lots of single women hikers. ;)
Getting turned down by 1 single woman hiker aint enough Sly? You want to get turned down by lots of em'?

Sly
02-24-2009, 13:54
Getting turned down by 1 single woman hiker aint enough Sly? You want to get turned down by lots of em'?

I'm an eternal optimist. I'm bound to score one of these days.

Slo-go'en
02-24-2009, 13:55
Easy access to top bunks without having to do a technical 3 point rock climbing move or stepping on the head of the person on the bottom bunk.

And what everyone else said.

Sly
02-24-2009, 13:57
lights out at 10 and no alcohol allowed

You've been living in the bible belt too long.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 14:00
You've been living in the bible belt too long.

no, a hostel that allows drinkin' in close quarters like that means trouble most times. folks wanna rest not stay up till 3 am with the 20 somethings.

Sly
02-24-2009, 14:10
no, a hostel that allows drinkin' in close quarters like that means trouble most times. folks wanna rest not stay up till 3 am with the 20 somethings.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. While I think there should be quiet hours, I don't like lights out at a certain time. I also like to be able to drink when I please.

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 14:15
A private, clean, sound proof room reserved for Lone Wolf should he ever choose to stay at a hostel.

kanga
02-24-2009, 14:16
lw don't stay in hostels. he's not a pussy.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 14:19
I guess it's a matter of opinion. While I think there should be quiet hours, I don't like lights out at a certain time. I also like to be able to drink when I please.

lights should be out at 10 in the sleeping area. you're not able to drink when you please at Kincora yet you go there. you wanna drink and stay up all night, get a motel room

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 14:19
no dogs allowed either

kanga
02-24-2009, 14:21
and you can't bring in your leki's or your filters

Sly
02-24-2009, 14:22
Just because Bob doesn't allow drinking I don't think all hostels should adopt that rule.

Tin Man
02-24-2009, 14:23
have a leiki pole hanger outside to keep down on the racket inside

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 14:24
Just because Bob doesn't allow drinking I don't think all hostels should adopt that rule.

then open a hostel yourself

hopefulhiker
02-24-2009, 14:27
Listed in order of importance.

1. Shower with preferably hot water.
2. Laundry, maybe an extra machine or two..
3. mail access, mail drops
4. bed, could just be an airmattress.. like the guy had at the grateful terrapin or whatever it was called in VA.. he did sell Ben and Jerries there too!
5. A place to cook, could be just a picnic table outside..
6. Some resupply stuff like fuel, and Snickers bars..., first aid stuff...soap ect..
7. Phone
8. Internet, maybe multiple computers with a fast broad band connection to get jacked in....
9. Cable TV.
10. Foot Massages

kanga
02-24-2009, 14:28
Listed in order of importance.
10. Foot Massages

i like this one. you should take off the zero, even.

Tennessee Viking
02-24-2009, 14:29
Good food, equiped kitchen, good warms beds, warm shower, computer & internet, laundry. And of course a Miss Janet.

Sly
02-24-2009, 14:35
then open a hostel yourself

If I did you'd probably stay there. I'd want a couple private rooms or cabins, camping, maybe a shelter, etc. Something for everyone. :D

Slimer
02-24-2009, 14:36
Go to a bar if you wish to drink "when you please"
Its best to keep alcohol out of hostels.

Sly
02-24-2009, 14:44
Another reason I hike out west. I don't think there's a hostel that doesn't allow drinking. Some even encourage it! Never seen a problem either.

Kirby
02-24-2009, 14:52
While I'm not against drinking all together in hostels, there needs to be a limit. There's a difference between three older hikers drinking a beer and complaining about their knees and 5 younger hikers getting smashed and staying up all night.

Internet is something I always needed in town. A bunch of electrical outlets would be good too, plenty of hikers need to charge something these days.

Some sort of lights out policy would be good as well. Perhaps designate a 10PM lights out time in the bunkroom, and make that the quieter in the room in the house for the hikers who simply want to nap.

However, I also understand that hikers enjoy talking to each other while lying down, so I'd give a loose interpretation of the word quiet.

Boot warmers. I was giddy with joy when I was able to dry my boots at Neel's Gap.

Have a hiker fridge, separate from your own.

Simple things matter most. Have soap available for hikers to use in the shower, along with towels. Kincora has a system where you use a towel for the shower, then if you use their laundry facilities they ask you toss some towels in as well.

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 15:01
The #1 rule at any hostel should be have respect for those around you. This does not mean an adult of legal drinking age should not be able to drink. Unfortunately every year there are a couple a hikers who have a problem and they are dealt with on an individual basis. I would not want to see a couple of idiots ruin it for everybody else.

D'Artagnan
02-24-2009, 15:06
While I'm not against drinking all together in hostels, there needs to be a limit. There's a difference between three older hikers drinking a beer and complaining about their knees and 5 younger hikers getting smashed and staying up all night.

Internet is something I always needed in town. A bunch of electrical outlets would be good too, plenty of hikers need to charge something these days.

Some sort of lights out policy would be good as well. Perhaps designate a 10PM lights out time in the bunkroom, and make that the quieter in the room in the house for the hikers who simply want to nap.

However, I also understand that hikers enjoy talking to each other while lying down, so I'd give a loose interpretation of the word quiet.

Boot warmers. I was giddy with joy when I was able to dry my boots at Neel's Gap.

Have a hiker fridge, separate from your own.

Simple things matter most. Have soap available for hikers to use in the shower, along with towels. Kincora has a system where you use a towel for the shower, then if you use their laundry facilities they ask you toss some towels in as well.

I like what Kirby and Wolf have said. It may sound strange since we're all so "connected" nowadays, but I wouldn't mind having a REAL newspaper to thumb through, too. A local paper or maybe a larger regional or national newspaper like USA Today or something similar.

neighbor dave
02-24-2009, 15:07
space, ventilation, cleanliness,

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 15:09

which most hostels lack :)

Pootz
02-24-2009, 15:14
These are in the order I would probably use them upon arrival.

10. Cold Drink
9. bed/personal space to put my stuff. a locker would be over the top.
8. Food/drink of choice
7. shower
6. laundry on site
5. food/drink of choice
4. resupply on site
3. food/drink of choice
2. area to relax with other hikers away from sleeping area
1. quiet place to sleep

#'s 8,5 and 3 should be repeated every 3 to 4 hours when not sleeping. I agree with LW NO DOGS.

Sly
02-24-2009, 15:16
The #1 rule at any hostel should be have respect for those around you. This does not mean an adult of legal drinking age should not be able to drink. Unfortunately every year there are a couple a hikers who have a problem and they are dealt with on an individual basis. I would not want to see a couple of idiots ruin it for everybody else.

Thank you Rockhound. No reason people should have to suffer because of a few derelicts.

This is something Miss Janet and Ron have to decide, not the self righteous.

Frick Frack
02-24-2009, 15:41
I'm going to & will drink an ice cold beer anywhere I please if I feel like it but I agree there has to be a limit....two young hikers at the Mayor's were smashed & high and playing that stupid air hockey game all night....I finally turned the lights out on them and told them "night, night"....

Frick Frack
02-24-2009, 15:43
....oh, I'm sorry, i missed the point here. My wife and i enjoyed the bikes at the Hikers Hostel in Glencliff as it was a nice break from the hiking and we used them to ride everywhere that day.

Hooch
02-24-2009, 15:46
I agree LW on the no drinking at hostels as well. There are places to drink, they're called bars. If some hikers can't enjoy alcohol responsibly, then it's a hsame they hae to ruin it for others. I know folks are going to run their hostel the way they please, and that's cool. But on the whole, I think that the quarters in a hostel are too tight for a few drunk knuckleheads to disturb the rest of others.

Sly
02-24-2009, 15:46
Yeah the bikes at Hiker Paradise were great. Nice flat town for riding. Franklin you'd probably be pushing them half the time.

neighbor dave
02-24-2009, 15:49
Yeah the bikes at Hiker Paradise were great. Nice flat town for riding.
the place is for sale

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 15:49
Good stuff so far.

*All I can add is that it'd be nice (space permitting) so that there are "common areas" like a living room that aren't necessarily the TV room. In a lot of hostels with TV/cable, these are on 24/7, and if you don't happen to be interested in watching whatever is on, which is usually a sh***y movie you've seen six times many years ago, you can't really hang out in the common room. Don't get me wrong, a TV is great, but it'd be great if there was a place where folks could hang out, talk, read, write letters, whatever, without having to listen to the TV. There are times when you simply don't wanna see The Big Lebowski or Caddyshack for awhile.

*A kitchen or kitchenette that guest could use would also be great. Most folks like to eat out when they get to town or a hostel. I like to cook, both for myself, and for my friends (and also the hostel staff). I've discovered over the years that we can eat lots better and lots cheaper by cooking at home, so a real kitchen, with counter space, etc., is a nice thing to have.

*Having a separate (i.e. sort of private) phone room, like Kincora, is nice. If someone's talking to their girlfriend or their kid, it's kinda nice to have a place to yourself.

*An outdoor sink is a good idea, so people can clean off boots, gaiters,
whatever, in a deep sink outside, without messing up the kitchen or
bathroom.

*Space permitting, tables outside are a nice idea (like at the old Miss Janet's,
or Kincora, or Delaware Water Gap, etc. It gives folks a place to hang out
outside orr in the evening, they can talk, eat, fix gear, whatever.

All for now, will think of more later.

neighbor dave
02-24-2009, 15:50

that'll get me in the door, everything else i can figure out on my own:sun

Frick Frack
02-24-2009, 15:55
Yeah the bikes at Hiker Paradise were great. Nice flat town for riding. Franklin you'd probably be pushing them half the time.

Yeah, thats how i feel now...the hike really creamed my biker legs. We have been riding 3-Gap on the weekends trying to get back in "biker" shape.

Flat? I about peeled the tire off the rim on a long downhill trying to catch my wife.

Red Hat
02-24-2009, 17:28
beds, showers, kitchen are must haves...internet, laundry (at least nearby), group area, tv, breakfast are nice to haves... But great owner like Ron and wonderful manager like Miss Janet are fabulous!

Live the Journey
02-24-2009, 17:36
1. Hot Shower with towel and soap (included in stay)
2. Laundry and soap (also included in stay)
3. Option of a communal meal
4. Priced at or around $10/night

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 17:39
Red Hat just made a tremendous point....

The most important thing about a hostel is who is running it.

There are places on the Trail that have all the features anyone could ask for, but they're simply not that great places to stay because the owners or resident managers just obviously aren't into what they are doing.

And there are places that are pretty spartan, or even dumpy, but are wonderful places to stay because of the attitude of the folks who run them.

That being said, I have this feeling that in 2009, the new Franklin Hostel is gonna be talked about a lot, and very positively, and they won't be talking about things like cable TV, Internet service, or bicycles.

They'll be talking about something a lot more important.

Good luck, Miss J., and have a great season!!

StarLyte
02-24-2009, 17:39
Biscuits and tomato gravy. :D

...that's funny.

Hunky - good looking hiker guys...gotta have a good Trail story too. :-?

Sly
02-24-2009, 17:41

Hot shower, towel and soap, laundry and soap, plus a bed and a roof over your head for $10 a night? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 17:42
$20 minimum

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 17:43
I'll play the peacemaker here. Let'l call it $15

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 17:47
I'll play the peacemaker here. Let'l call it $15

it's already $20

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 17:48
where?

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 17:49
Fifteen is light these days.

And meals should definitely be extra. Miss Janet for years provided a meal with your stay that would've cost 12 bucks if you got it at a restaurant.

It's the main reason she never made a dime.

The communal meal thing is great, but don't expect the hostel-keeper to pay for it, unless you want to pay at least $25.00 per night.

But a $10.00 fee is for the birds, unless you want to sleep in a barn, and not have access to plumbing.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 17:50
where?

uh, here http://appalachianpages.com/forum/showthread.php?p=893#post893

Tennessee Viking
$10 sounds good for just a bunk.

Definitely will need a good price for a bunk/meal/shower, so $20-$25 sounds pretty reasonable.

Go family style for the meal. And have rules for must help with the dishes.

boarstone
no dogs allowed either

I'll second that..

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 17:51
Varies from what I know. Anywhere from a $4 suggested donation to $25

boarstone
02-24-2009, 17:52
have a leiki pole hanger outside to keep down on the racket inside

Old western saying..."Leave your weapons at the door"

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 17:55
uh, here http://appalachianpages.com/forum/showthread.php?p=893#post893
$20 is a bargain. Any hiker would be making a mistake if they did not stay in Franklin.

boarstone
02-24-2009, 17:57
On the soap in the hostel thingy?...liquid dispenser please...bar soap..no.

freefall
02-24-2009, 18:04
I just took the nickel tour of Hostelling International's website. The going price for a bunk in the US is $20-30, none include meals.

freefall
02-24-2009, 18:06
On the soap in the hostel thingy?...liquid dispenser please...bar soap..no.
I agree, sharing bar soap with strangers, is, just :eek::eek:!!!

Sly
02-24-2009, 18:16
Ron says it's going to be called Miss Janet's Place, Miss Janet says it's going to be called Ron's "Haven" :p

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 18:21
Hate to rain on the parade, folks, but did your utility bill go down recently?

Your heat? Your water? Your rent? Your mortgage payment?

When you go shopping for stuff at the supermarket, like food, household stuff, cleaning supplies, etc., have the prices gone down recently?

If you're running folks around town (or around the Trail), does it cost less or more to keep your car on the road? Is your mechanic cheaper than he was last year? How about your insurance?

If you have to hire a repairman (and this happens constantly at a hostel), is your local electrician, plumber, carpenter, handyman working for less than he was a few years ago?

No?

Didn't think so.

So get over the $10.00 thing.

Ten bucks should get you a short shower and a tent site.

Sorry, but some folks are living in the past, money-wise.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 18:23
Hate to rain on the parade, folks, but did your utility bill go down recently?

Your heat? Your water? Your rent? Your mortgage payment?

When you go shopping for stuff at the supermarket, like food, household stuff, cleaning supplies, etc., have the prices gone down recently?

If you're running folks around town (or around the Trail), does it cost less or more to keep your car on the road? Is your mechanic cheaper than he was last year? How about your insurance?

If you have to hire a repairman (and this happens constantly at a hostel), is your local electrician, plumber, carpenter, handyman working for less than he was a few years ago?

No?

Didn't think so.

So get over the $10.00 thing.

just typical hikers wantin' a lot for a little.

Sly
02-24-2009, 18:30
just typical hikers wantin' a lot for a little.

Yeah like liquid soap dispensers. :rolleyes: I imagine they'll be using small bars of motel soap.

max patch
02-24-2009, 18:34

Thats the truth; a campsite at one of the Georgia State Parks is $23 a nite.

But you can take as long a shower as you want.

neighbor dave
02-24-2009, 18:47
:-? wanna go on the cheap??
hike longer distances between resupply, it's easy enough to do, then the 20 or so bucks for a hostel might not seem that bad.:sun

Just a Hiker
02-24-2009, 18:48
Put limits on "Work for Stay" and set a 2 night maximum stay rule unless injured or sick. The year after Mr. Shaw died, Shaw's turned into a flop house because some hikers got to Monson and wouldn't leave because Keith Jr. let some hikers stay for weeks at a time........it got confusing to who was actually running the place. Just an idea.

Take care

Tractor
02-24-2009, 18:52
Roof
Water
Heat
Mudroom or porch to leave boots & stuff
Phone, with conditions, no problem
No Alcohol
No Smoking inside but a spot outside & downwind for us that do
Will accept dropboxes
Soap (hotel bar is just fine)
at the very least $10 for the services

Sly
02-24-2009, 18:53
Unless they're being dead beats and not paying I'm not sure if I agree with the 2 night limit, especially if it's not sold out.

If work isn't needed I wouldn't do work for stay so close to the beginning. If an hour or two is need, I'd only knock off money, not have it free.

Tractor
02-24-2009, 18:55
Make that at the very least $15 for services, donations above & beyond the set fee.

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 18:58
I dunno about the 2 night limit thing, either.

It depends who the people are, and it ought to be up to owners and managers to decide how long folks can stick around.

If I were running a hostel (and I have), I'd rather have some good folks staying for five nights who paid their bills, behaved themselves, helped out around the place, were fun to be around, rather than a bunch of high-maintenance jerks who were only there for one night but expected that for $15.00 they'd be getting the Hotel Australia.

As far as I'm concerned, some folks can stay at my place as long as they want and some other folks manage to wear out their welcome after an hour, never mind one day.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 19:05
Put limits on "Work for Stay" and set a 2 night maximum stay rule unless injured or sick. The year after Mr. Shaw died, Shaw's turned into a flop house because some hikers got to Monson and wouldn't leave because Keith Jr. let some hikers stay for weeks at a time........it got confusing to who was actually running the place. Just an idea.

Take care

i say NO work for stay. cuz you know full well the hiker will have money for tobacco, beer and dope but doesn't want to pay for stay and usually the work they do is so piss poor

Just a Hiker
02-24-2009, 19:05

It depends who the people are, and it ought to be up to owners and managers to decide how long folks can stick around.

If I were running a hostel (and I have), I'd rather have some good folks staying for five nights who paid their bills, behaved themselves, helped out around the place, were fun to be around, rather than a bunch of high-maintenance jerks who were only there for one night but expected that for $15.00 they'd be getting the Hotel Australia.

As far as I'm concerned, some folks can stay at my place as long as they want and some other folks manage to wear out their welcome after an hour, never mind one day.

Again, just an idea.....Work for stay limits and having a maximum amount of days one can stay could help keep things moving during peak season and give everyone a chance to come to town to get cleaned up, rest and resupply at a reasonable price.

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 19:11
How about no posted "rules" and expect hikers to conduct themselves in an appropriate manor without having to watched and babysat during there stay.:rolleyes::-?

freefall
02-24-2009, 19:14

All the more reason to establish a maximum number of nights with exceptions made on a case by case basis by the owner/manager. One could really open themselves up to problems if they leave it strictly up to how they feel about a person.
Say two people came in at the same time and one was a royal PITA and the other a pleasant person. With no maximum stay, if you told the one to leave even though they were following all the other posted guidelines and the other was allowed to stay, they could find a way to sue for discrimination. If you set guidelines, then at least you have an out, gotta keep room open for incoming folks, the other is waiting on a package, etc....

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 19:17
Gotta disagree with Wolf.

While it's very true that a lot of folks desperately pleading for a work-for-stay deal have plenty of money, and have every intention on using the money they save to buy beer or weed.

On the other hand, in many cases, hostel owners or managers that actually need help around the place or need something done should have the option of making a barter arrangement with a hiker. This works out for both parties.

Meaning if a hotel owner wants to give someone a break on a room if they help the housekeeper clean for a few hours or do some work on the grounds, I think that's great. Or if a hostel manager is tied up all day shuttling or with a family emergency and a hiker volunteers to stick around all day and oversee the place in the owner's absence, well what's so terrible about letting the person stay for free?

In short, I don't care what the hiker plans to do with the money they save.
That's their business.

If the person running the place needs some help and is willing to swap a night's lodging for the help, that's great, everyone wins. There's usually a lot more work to do at a hostel than there are employees, and this is especially true in the South early in the hiker season, when places are jammed and there's always something that needs to be cleaned, maintained, repaired.

All that being said:

*If you work out a work-for-stay arrangement, then make sure you actually
DO the work. Two hours of yard work means just that, and not standing
around smoking cigarettes.
*If it's a job requiring skills (painting, plumbing, etc.) don't take on what you
can't fulfill. Meaning don't take a toilet apart unless you're sure you know
how to put it back together again.
*Never take a work-for-stay for granted. Just cause it says in your book that
a place offers work-for-stay, keep in mind that maybe you'll arrive on a day
when there's nothing that needs doing, or maybe some other folks already
snagged the work for stay. If thisis the case, take you lumps and pay full
price. Work-for-stay is NEVER guaranteed.

Lilred
02-24-2009, 19:24
Ron says it's going to be called Miss Janet's Place, Miss Janet says it's going to be called Ron's "Haven" :p

How about Miss Janet's haven?

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 19:25
Um, Freefall, nobody's gonna sue for discrimination.

Unless you can prove it's a racial thing or something like that, (i.e. something that has clear legal protection), then an innkeeper, or B&B owner, or a hostel-keeper can deny service to anyone they want for any reason.

It's real simple. If someone who, as you say, is a royal pain in the ass, announces their intention to stay for a few more days and you don't want them around anymore, then you poitley but firmly tell them, "Sorry, but it's time for you to hit the Trail".

And if they ask why they have to go, you say "Because I said so."

End of story. No argument, no discrimination, no lawsuit.

Some folks are a joy to have around, and some need to hit the road.

And yeah, some need to be told to do so.

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 19:34
How about Miss Janet's haven?
sounds like the perfect compromise.

Lilred
02-24-2009, 19:35
If I am paying $20 for a hostel stay I would expect a bed with some kind of mattress, a shower with towel, laundry facilities and a way to resupply. Extras would be Internet, TV, shuttle service and kitchen areas. Luxuries would be boot warmers and excellent meals (for a price)

The icing on the cake would be Miss Janet.....

freefall
02-24-2009, 19:37
Um, Freefall, nobody's gonna sue for discrimination.

Unless you can prove it's a racial thing or something like that, (i.e. something that has clear legal protection), then an innkeeper, or B&B owner, or a hostel-keeper can deny service to anyone they want for any reason(emphasis added).

Actually that depends on local. Here in Denver it is actually illegal to post a sign that says exactly that.

While the chances are remote for it to become litigious, it could happen and posting a maximum stay could help avoid that. Now if the manager/owner wants to let someone stay on for whatever reason, they can let them know by taking them aside, or say yes if the person asks.

Just saying, give yourself an easy out, most will see the stay limit and move on in the allotted time. Those that need to know, know.

Tin Man
02-24-2009, 19:38
I would imagine the work for stay barter arrangement is difficult to manage. The 'worker' may perform 'piss poor' work, then what? If it were my hostel and I NEEDED work done, I would be very leery of who I made an arrangement with and have a process for dealing with poor or non-performance. It would probably be best to not offer it all, or only offer to someone who has some kind of established credibility.

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 19:42
Glad I don't live in Denver. :D

But whatever the law is regarding signage, getting sued for discrimination is only permitted when someone can prove they're legally protrected, or that they're being mistreated or abused for something that is indeed lawfully protected.

Being a pain in the ass is not, as far as I know, a legally protected civil right, either in Denver or anywhere else.

Hostel keepers have the right to kick out (or deny admission to) anyone they wish.

Sly
02-24-2009, 19:44
Actually that depends on local. Here in Denver it is actually illegal to post a sign that says exactly that.

While the chances are remote for it to become litigious, it could happen and posting a maximum stay could help avoid that. Now if the manager/owner wants to let someone stay on for whatever reason, they can let them know by taking them aside, or say yes if the person asks.

Just saying, give yourself an easy out, most will see the stay limit and move on in the allotted time. Those that need to know, know.

Jack wasn't talking about posting the rule but implementing it if it's not discriminatory. If some guy is a jerk you don't have to serve them regardless of sex, color or age.

Just a Hiker
02-24-2009, 19:45
I would imagine the work for stay barter arrangement is difficult to manage. The 'worker' may perform 'piss poor' work, then what? If it were my hostel and I NEEDED work done, I would be very leery of who I made an arrangement with and have a process for dealing with poor or non-performance. It would probably be best to not offer it all, or only offer to someone who has some kind of established credibility.

I would say that most Hostel owners are smart enough to not let a thru-hiker rebuild the engine on their shuttle van; however, you would be surprised of the skill level of some of the hikers out there! Most "work for stays" are some sort of cleaning project or the like, but it should be managed so that everyone can do "work for stay" if they need to.

Take care

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 19:50
I love to see musicians on the trail. Just please don't consider your "gift of music" is proper compensation for a nights lodging and equivalent to a work for stay.:(

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 19:55
Gotta disagree.

Very few folks actually "need" to do a work for stay.

The folks seeking one are usually just trying to save a few bucks.

So finding work for everyone who needs it a long stretch. First off, not that many folks really "need" the work, and secondly, there is usally not enough work available at any given time for everyone who wants to stay for free, which basically decribes everyone. Hikers are notoriously cheap.

It is not the responsibility of hostels or anyone else to provide free services for thru-hikers. If one is that much in need of money in order to stay on the Trail, there's a simple expedient:

Take a shower, shave, put on some clean clothes, and get a job.

Or better yet, postpone your trip at the outset so that you don't have to worry about money problems during your hike.

But providing free stays for everyone who claims to "need" one is absurd.

It ain't happening.

Just a Hiker
02-24-2009, 20:07
We're beginning to split hairs here.......I agree that no hiker "needs" to work, or even "wants" to work after a long day of hiking; but isn't the "Spirit" of "Work for Stay" based on need on some level? I have seen hikers (who presumably have money) on the trail in Georgia thumbing through their guide book planning their "work for stay" in Pennsylvania so that they can save money; thus "Work for stay" can be abused and it would help to manage it......

Take care

Marta
02-24-2009, 20:18
I'm going to disagree about the TV thing. Not needed. Much quieter not to have one.

Internet, yes. Pay phone/calling card phone, yes. (Even now not everyone has cell phones.)

The basics: bed, showers, laundry (and clothes to wear while doing it), some place to cook; some floor space for unpacking and repacking; a few chairs; resupply or shuttle to stores.

The host/hostess combo of Ron and Miss Janet...wow!

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 20:27
We're beginning to split hairs here.......I agree that no hiker "needs" to work, or even "wants" to work after a long day of hiking; but isn't the "Spirit" of "Work for Stay" based on need on some level? I have seen hikers (who presumably have money) on the trail in Georgia thumbing through their guide book planning their "work for stay" in Pennsylvania so that they can save money; thus "Work for stay" can be abused and it would help to manage it......

Take care
And it is managed. By every individual hostel owner. Just know that work for stays are never a guarantee and do not be surprised or offended if a hostel owner says no. And if he says yes be sure to do honest amount of work and be thankful, while remembering your performance could have an impact on whether or not you get offered work for stays further on up the trail. And be sure to wear at least 17 items of flair at all times.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 20:28
Did I miss something. Ms Janet wants to know what a hostel needs?

I must be in an alternate universe.

Sly
02-24-2009, 20:30

Customers! :D

Many Walks
02-24-2009, 20:35
Just some random thoughts to tag onto lots of good ideas here.

$20 a night in a decent place with some amenities is a bargain. A meal should be extra. If someone can't afford that, they might pay for a shower at the hostel then go to town to eat, resupply, and head for the trail to camp. The hostel can't run as a gift to hikers.

There should be some basic rules posted and enforced that keep the owner/operator from getting crosswise of the law, put at legal liability, and becoming the subject of negative press in the community. I recall Jack posted some simple, but common sense rules on another thread not long ago that made a lot of sense.

Finally, if room permits it is always nice to have several clotheslines to dry and air out gear. Didn't see that in previous posts, but apologies if I missed it.

Hope you have a great season!

Sly
02-24-2009, 20:37
Finally, if room permits it is always nice to have several clotheslines to dry and air out gear. Didn't see that in previous posts, but apologies if I missed it.

I believe the solar clothes dryers were over looked.

Tractor
02-24-2009, 20:39
Hostel owner / caretaker must cover expenses and knows there will be slow times. A posted rate-for-stay needs to be established. EVERYBODY is expected to pay at least that amount. If and when service is wanted and needed then I would suspect a best way to handle that would be one-on-one away from other guests. Seems smoother to me that way. The hiker that performs a worthy task, although previously expected to pay a minimum fee for stay, should be rewarded in a fair manner but other guests have no need to know exactly what that might be. Now I am sure details of these events will be passed along and others will come by with their notions of what can and cannot occur concerning work for stay but the posted fee will remain the same and be expected.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 20:40
All that is nice but:

1. A set of rules.

2. Someone to enforce them.

Everything else is gravy.

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 20:40
Perhaps a separate room for political, economic, religious and philosophical debates.:p

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 20:42
Many Walks' idea of a simple sign is probably a good idea. That way nobody can claim later on that they didn't know the house rules.

I can think of one for Kincora:

"Please refrain from putting your Leki Poles and dirty boots in Bob's dryer as it's really bad for the machine and Baltimore Jack will rip you a new one if he catches you."

Well, maybe posting this is unnecessary. I'd like to think that was a one time event. :D

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 20:44
He didn't put his poles in there - just his boots.

Sly
02-24-2009, 20:48
He didn't put his poles in there - just his boots.

Boots in a "clothes" dryer? :rolleyes: Did they run them through the washer first? :p

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 20:48
Personally I would not stay at a hostel that did not have one and I know for a fact that there will be at least two at Miss Janet's Haven.:sun

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 20:49
Boots in a "clothes" dryer? :rolleyes: Did they run them through the washer first? :p
Ask Jack. He was standing there when the muldoon did it. I was out building trail but heard the story at dinner.:D

generoll
02-24-2009, 20:52

not a bad idea Sly, bit for those things to work you need Solar. Kind of in short supply sometimes. The fenced in stove at Neels Gap seemed like a good idea.

Sly
02-24-2009, 20:52
Ask Jack. He was standing there when the muldoon did it. I was out building trail but heard the story at dinner.:D

LOL... that's about the dumbest thing I've heard of. Worthy of a new thread.

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 20:54
Stupid hiker stories?

Sly
02-24-2009, 20:55
not a bad idea Sly, bit for those things to work you need Solar. Kind of in short supply sometimes. The fenced in stove at Neels Gap seemed like a good idea.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of indoor clothes lines and wet, stinky clothes, tents, sleeping bags running though a hostel. Across the street at the Budget they have machines.

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 21:02
Um, no, Rock, but someone actually did this once during Hardcore work weekend.

Here's the story. I was in the kitchen cooking when Bob was getting the hikers going in the morning for the Trail maintenance project.

There were several hikers there who had stayed over at the hostel the night before and didn't know about the annual Hardcore project, but when Bob told them what was going on, they ALL volunteered to take the day off and help Bob with the work.

All except for one crusty older guy.

He decided he wanted to slack ten miles and come back to the hostel, which was fine, except I suspect he decided to do this only AFTER he found out there was gonna be a big feed at the end of the day.

But Bob didn't say a word. It's not like he forces folks to help out on the maintenance stuff.

Anyway, everyone leaves, I go back to the kitchen, making lasagna for around 90. A few hours later I take a break for a smoke or something, and I go into the laundry to swap out the clothes and start washing a fresh load of towels. While I'm in there, this old guy comes in from his hike, muddy from eyes to ankles (it was a wet, lousy day) and proceeds to throw his filthy clothes AND boots into the dryer.

I was incredulous.

I told him they needed to be washed first so they didn't funk out the dryer, and that his heavy shoes shouldn't go in there period.

He ignored me.

I told him again that he needed to stop what he was doing.

He ignored me.

I offerred to start up his stuff in the washer for him while he showered and cleaned, so everything would be nice for him in an hour.

He wasn't interested.

So I got a little stern (which was OK as Bob had asked me to oversee the place for the day while he was away) with the old bastard and told him in no uncertain terms that he was NOT to put this stuff in the dryer, period.

I went back in the kitchen and got back to my noodles.

Like 3 minutes later this kid comes running into the hostel yelling, "Jack, Jack, the dryer's about to blow up!!"

I tore out there, and indeed, the machine was thumping and bumping around like it wanted to leave the building.

I opened the door, and lo and behold, it was full of the guy's muddy clothes and boots.

He'd also (and this astounds me) shortened his trekking poles and jammed them into the machine so they held his boots against the drum of the dryer.
I think the idea was they'd make less noise and make it less liklely I'd know they were in there. Needless to say, after a couple of revolutions the sticks and boots went flying and clattering around fit to beat Jesus, and this guy's new and novel laundering method became public knowledge.

I'll leave out the rest, tho I confess I used some words that even I didn't know I possessed. I think I used them more than once. I probably also pointed out my feelings in regards to the old gentleman's parentage and ancestry.

Wasn't pretty.

Funny thing was when I told Bob about it later, all he did was shake his head and laugh. I thought was was gonna kill the old dude, but Bob is Bob.

Anyway, Rock, this is an absolutely true story. Leki poles have indeed found their way into the Kincora dryer. Once, anyway.

In May, you can ask Bob if you doubt me! :D

maxNcathy
02-24-2009, 21:07
Tent sites for when hostel is full.

JDCool1
02-24-2009, 21:08
a good well equipped kitchen, ie, stove, sink, refrigerator, and roomie enough for several to work at the same time. would be good. an example would be the Leadville Hostel. They have a good way of organizing stuff in the cooler for everyone to keep track of their stuff.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 21:10
Work for stay usually ends up meaning freeload. The hiker does something he should have done anyway (it is a hostel, you are supposed to help out) and gets to spend his money on beer instead of keeping the place open. Yea free up money. I think Lone Wolf makes a great point. Just because you don't want to hear it is no reason to be as rude as you were. I think you need to regroup on your head-space and timing.

That is one thing that would not be available at a hostel I run unless you were doing something like CJ did for Uncle Johnny last year or Rockhound does for Curtis.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 21:10
Um, no, Rock, but someone actually did this once during Hardcore work weekend.

Here's the story. I was in the kitchen cooking when Bob was getting the hikers going in the morning for the Trail maintenance project.

There were several hikers there who had stayed over at the hostel the night before and didn't know about the annual Hardcore project, but when Bob told them what was going on, they ALL volunteered to take the day off and help Bob with the work.

All except for one crusty older guy.

He decided he wanted to slack ten miles and come back to the hostel, which was fine, except I suspect he decided to do this only AFTER he found out there was gonna be a big feed at the end of the day.

But Bob didn't say a word. It's not like he forces folks to help out on the maintenance stuff.

Anyway, everyone leaves, I go back to the kitchen, making lasagna for around 90. A few hours later I take a break for a smoke or something, and I go into the laundry to swap out the clothes and start washing a fresh load of towels. While I'm in there, this old guy comes in from his hike, muddy from eyes to ankles (it was a wet, lousy day) and proceeds to throw his filthy clothes AND boots into the dryer.

I was incredulous.

I told him they needed to be washed first so they didn't funk out the dryer, and that his heavy shoes shouldn't go in there period.

He ignored me.

I told him again that he needed to stop what he was doing.

He ignored me.

I offerred to start up his stuff in the washer for him while he showered and cleaned, so everything would be nice for him in an hour.

He wasn't interested.

So I got a little stern (which was OK as Bob had asked me to oversee the place for the day while he was away) with the old bastard and told him in no uncertain terms that he was NOT to put this stuff in the dryer, period.

I went back in the kitchen and got back to my noodles.

Like 3 minutes later this kid comes running into the hostel yelling, "Jack, Jack, the dryer's about to blow up!!"

I tore out there, and indeed, the machine was thumping and bumping around like it wanted to leave the building.

I opened the door, and lo and behold, it was full of the guy's muddy clothes and boots.

He'd also (and this astounds me) shortened his trekking poles and jammed them into the machine so they held his boots against the drum of the dryer.
I think the idea was they'd make less noise and make it less liklely I'd know they were in there. Needless to say, after a couple of revolutions the sticks and boots went flying and clattering around fit to beat Jesus, and this guy's new and novel laundering method became public knowledge.

I'll leave out the rest, tho I confess I used some words that even I didn't know I possessed. I think I used them more than once. I probably also pointed out my feelings in regards to the old gentleman's parentage and ancestry.

Wasn't pretty.

Funny thing was when I told Bob about it later, all he did was shake his head and laugh. I thought was was gonna kill the old dude, but Bob is Bob.

Anyway, Rock, this is an absolutely true story. Leki poles have indeed found their way into the Kincora dryer. Once, anyway.

In May, you can ask Bob if you doubt me! :DOh I remember the dude. French Connection. I guess you didn't tell me about the poles the first time you told me.

Rockhound
02-24-2009, 21:11
I thought the whole purpose of collapseable poles was so you could put them in the dryer.:confused:

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 21:13
And some hostel owners are too nice for their own good.

For example, if Miss Janet limited work stays over the years to people who actually needed work, and if she limited this option to things that actually had to be done instead of finding make-work for folks cuz she felt bad for them, well, if she'd done this, and if she actually collected what people owed her instead of being nice about it, well if she'd done this, then she'd have been open in a beautiful new facility in Erwin LAST year.

Don't get me wrong, she's a living saint, but the work-for-stay thing can get out of hand. Some hikers will take advantage of someone and screw them over one minute and then tell that person how much they love and respect them the next minute.

It's wrong.

If you wanna stay at a hostel or other Trail facility, then be ready to pay for it.

If that's too tough, sleep in the woods.

Sly
02-24-2009, 21:14
LOL.. good story Jack. Moron of the year award. I actually wish the guys trick worked. His boots probably wouldn't have fit any more if they got dry.

PS Who was it? :)

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 21:16
I'll say again. French Connection. 2004.

Sly
02-24-2009, 21:16
a good well equipped kitchen, ie, stove, sink, refrigerator, and roomie enough for several to work at the same time. would be good. an example would be the Leadville Hostel. They have a good way of organizing stuff in the cooler for everyone to keep track of their stuff.

Leadville hostel is great. Private rooms for folks like LW. Full for the Rockies Ruck I got a room at a local motel.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 21:17
Work for stay - a rick of wood needing split. Split the rick you get one night stay. Next day dig a pit for a new outhouse. Make it 6' deep to specs you get another night. By the time you been there two days you will wish you were hiking instead of working.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 22:04

I must be in an alternate universe.

she needs to not let the freaks use the hostel as a flophouse. DO NOT allow sleeping on the couches if there are any and everybody pays. screw the i'm-broke-need-work-for-stay hippy plea.
nobody talks about cool places to stay in the woods. today's thru-hikers define the trail by the towns and hostels. they hate to leave towns.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 22:06
My guess is Ron will put them in the suplex if that starts to happen.

Hooch
02-24-2009, 22:09
My guess is Ron will put them in the suplex if that starts to happen.
If he does it twice, does that make it a duplex suplex? :banana

Tennessee Viking
02-24-2009, 22:26
Work for stay - a rick of wood needing split. Split the rick you get one night stay. Next day dig a pit for a new outhouse. Make it 6' deep to specs you get another night. By the time you been there two days you will wish you were hiking instead of working.
That is a maintainers dream job right there.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 22:36
That is a maintainers dream job right there.
Hell, make them go work a trail crew for a day then they get the stay.

My policy would generally be only when I need work done. And the stay is only after the work you do is done to standard. Quit before hand and deal is off.

freefall
02-24-2009, 22:50
My policy would generally be only when I need work done. And the stay is only after the work you do is done to standard. Quit before hand and deal is off.
Maybe a board listing the things needing done. Then an informal interview as to the qualifications of the hiker then decide if they are able. That would be a great move!!

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 22:52
Naw, I'd rather them have to come ask me if anything needed done.

freefall
02-24-2009, 22:56
Naw, I'd rather them have to come ask me if anything needed done.
The board would get their hopes up. But you could dash them in the interview. I dunno but my "hopes" would be further elated by an anonymous announcement then by a face to face. Get their hopes up then dash them with the it's already taken/ you're not good enough spiel.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 22:57
LOL - good one.

Lugnut
02-24-2009, 23:42
screw the i'm-broke-need-work-for-stay hippy plea.

If they're broke by the time they get to Franklin they should just go on home.

SGT Rock
02-24-2009, 23:44
Southbound maybe...

Tin Man
02-25-2009, 00:03
If they're broke by the time they get to Franklin they should just go on home.

If they plan on using, they should not even start.

Tennessee Viking
02-25-2009, 00:15
Anything that was a favorite at Miss J's in Erwin also needs to be available at Franklin.

chiefduffy
02-25-2009, 04:18
Did anyone mention a large, economy size jug of Febreeze for spritzing those stinky packs? Thankfully there was one in the box at the Budget when I got there. Very useful.

summitnh
02-25-2009, 10:53
Quiet Hours from 10PM to 7AM
Separate sound proof room for big time snorers

Sly
02-25-2009, 11:11
Quiet Hours from 10PM to 7AM
Separate sound proof room for big time snorers

I think hostels should be treated like shelters and you should accept what happens. Not everyone's schedule is the same. Some like to hike late, or start early. If you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

If you don't like shelters and prefer to tent, motels are a better option in town

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 11:18
Hikers seem to regulate themselves fine out on the trail. They should do the same at hostels.

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 11:22
for some reason some hikers get to hostels and turn in to children that need to go runnin' to Ma or Pa. There should only be 3 rules at hostels. Enjoy yourself, respect others and don't be a dumbass.

Sly
02-25-2009, 11:28
Hikers seem to regulate themselves fine out on the trail. They should do the same at hostels.

Some treat snorers like outcasts. I'd prefer a shelter full of snorers than light sleepers any day. They complain less.

jlb2012
02-25-2009, 12:07
well one idea not mentioned - have a weather band radio for the hostel

D'Artagnan
02-25-2009, 12:10
Disposable ear plugs.

Jeff
02-25-2009, 12:15
I am always see hikers getting to a hostel, plug in their phone, camera, MP3 players, etc and go out on the town. Amazing that everyone trusts each other that much with high priced gear laying around.

At some AYH hostels I've seen lockers with electric recepticles built in.

The Weasel
02-25-2009, 12:23
The more features that are sought, the more expensive it will be. Or else it will need to be a la carte for everything, which gets complicated for management (and also expensive).

Hence, provide the basics only. A clean place to sleep (and no mattress, unless the owners are prepared to clean/disinfect them periodically, which is difficult), a shower, a small kitchen (and no utensils/dishes since hikers often won't clean them adequately). Mandatory quiet hours, and no alcohol/drugs. It's not a resort, folks. It's a hostel.

As for Frick Frack's "I'm gonna do what I want anywhere I feel like it," it is THAT attitude that gets good hostels closed.

It's not a resort, folks. It's a hostel.

TW

Sly
02-25-2009, 12:40
The more features that are sought, the more expensive it will be. Or else it will need to be a la carte for everything, which gets complicated for management (and also expensive).

Hence, provide the basics only. A clean place to sleep (and no mattress, unless the owners are prepared to clean/disinfect them periodically, which is difficult), a shower, a small kitchen (and no utensils/dishes since hikers often won't clean them adequately). Mandatory quiet hours, and no alcohol/drugs. It's not a resort, folks. It's a hostel.

As for Frick Frack's "I'm gonna do what I want anywhere I feel like it," it is THAT attitude that gets good hostels closed.

TW

Weasel what you describe isn't a good hostel. I'd have to get drunk just to relieve the boredom.

BobTheBuilder
02-25-2009, 12:42
I am definitely a big-time snorer, and will skip a hostel if it's just communal bunkhouse accomodations because I don't want to be killed in my sleep. I'm also not an unemployed college student, so I'm cool with paying extra for a private room to sleep in. It can be small - after all, my tarptent's no mansion, I just would rather not wake up to a zombie army of sleep-deprived enemies.

Lilred
02-25-2009, 12:50

TW

Sorry weasel, gotta disagree with the mattress. If I'm paying 20 bucks for a hostel, I expect a mattress. If I want to sleep on a wooden plank, I'd stay in a shelter.

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 12:56
1)Bunks/beds with pillows/mattresses 2)Hot showers with soap/towel provided 3)Kitchen facilities with hiker fridge 4)Internet access/phone service 5)hold mail drops/provide outgoing mail services 6) Laundry facilities 7)Weather reports/newspapers 8)Entertainment(games,TV,movies,books,music...) 9)Shuttle/slackpacking services 10)Option of community meal(additional fee) 11)Resupply with all the hiker favorites 12)Hiker box 13)On hand foot specialist for medical treatment and massages 13)Outdoor sink for muddy gear 14)No smoking indoors 15)Separate areas/rooms for those that want to stay up late and hoot n' holler and those that wish to go to sleep or just want peace and quiet 16)Boot dryer 17)lots of Febreeze on hand 18)Electrical outlets for phone charging etc... 19)Option of private or semi-private room 20)Gear expert on hand for shakedowns/repair 21) Option of tenting/hammocking 22)Dogs allowed(outside) owners responsible for pets behavior and poop 23)Outdoor activities (frisbee,horseshoes,trampoline...) 24)Guestbook/hiker log 25)Miss Janet. Did I forget anything?

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 13:01
Oh yeah. A twister Board.:banana

max patch
02-25-2009, 13:07
Most of you want the amenities of a hotel for the price of a hostel.

Sly
02-25-2009, 13:24
Sorry weasel, gotta disagree with the mattress. If I'm paying 20 bucks for a hostel, I expect a mattress. If I want to sleep on a wooden plank, I'd stay in a shelter.

Don't worry, the Haven has brand new mattresses (thick ones too) with covers, pads and sheets. The Weasel described a two-bit hostel.

Lone Wolf
02-25-2009, 13:29
The Weasel described a two-bit hostel.

yeah "The Place". i wish they'd close that dump down

max patch
02-25-2009, 13:42
Strange thread when Weasel is the voice of reason.

Sly
02-25-2009, 13:44
yeah "The Place". i wish they'd close that dump down

The last couple times I was there it didn't look too bad. Of course, there were no hikers there.

I don't know if it would be worth it, but if they raised the prices, hired a full time caretaker with their own room to manage the place, they may be better off.

Sly
02-25-2009, 13:53
Strange thread when Weasel is the voice of reason.

He described a spartan flop house. There's no reason a hostel can't be more. Most are.

Check out this place...

http://www.leadvillehostel.com/tour.html

Lone Wolf
02-25-2009, 14:00
He described a spartan flop house. There's no reason a hostel can't be more. Most are.

Check out this place...

$30 for a private room? damn right i'd stay there

max patch
02-25-2009, 14:15
I don't stay at hostels anymore; but I'd stay in one of the rooms there.

The Weasel
02-25-2009, 14:58

Check out this place...

Actually, I've described several hostels I've stayed at that were very nice, both near trails and even in major tourist cities. If you want to stay in a basic motel, the name doesn't matter, but you'll get the bells-and-whistles like soap, towels, breakfast, and all the rest. But those things cost money, and I don't expect Miss Janet or anyone else to provide them below cost without someone paying for it (and that goes for charity/mission hostels, which make it up in contributions). If I want a zero day, just to restock and repair, I want a hostel. If I want a little time off and fun, I'll get a real room. But there's a difference, and there is a real need for the basic, clean hostel, far more than there is for the motels, of which there is a surfeit.

TW

The Weasel
02-25-2009, 15:04
Don't worry, the Haven has brand new mattresses (thick ones too) with covers, pads and sheets. The Weasel described a two-bit hostel.

No, I didn't. (See above.) But I have a modest cleanliness thing, which is one of the reasons I'm squeamish about shelters (hello, Mr. Hanta!) and if you want to sleep on uncovered (we're not getting sheets, too, are we?) mattress that a few dozen/hundred/thousand other maybe-clean-maybe-not hikers slept/ate/drank/did other things in, well, great. Me, I'd rather not, so I'll use my own even if a "new" mattress (it's not gonna be "new" long, dudes) is there.

Those who have attended Scout Camps (the good ones) and used cabins with disinfectant bottles and paper towels for cleaning the (vinyl) mattresses will know what I mean. It's kinda interesting what the paper towels look like after you clean your mattress.

TW

stacy324
02-25-2009, 15:28
I find it a little amusing that Miss Janet is asking the question “What does a hostel need to make it a good place for hikers?” She is an expert at making a hostel a good place for hikers!

Gray Blazer
02-25-2009, 15:31
Yeah, but a few germs are good for you . You need to build up a tolerance so the "super flu" doesn't get ya. Then you won't fear the reaper.

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 15:38
I think the reason this thread was started so Miss Janet could get some ideas of what hikers think would make a hostel a nicer place to stay not a worse one Weasel. People open hostels because they love hikers and the trail. Many owners would tell you they get back just as much as they give. I'm not speaking of financial rewards. To suggest that hostels should have just the absolute basics and offer little more than shelters seems a little absurd. Your argument that it's too expensive for hostel owners to provide some of the ammeneties that have been mentioned is flawed. Although few if any hostel owners become rich running a hostel, most manage to squeak out a small profit. This would not be the case if it was a hostel that hikers would not want to go to. It's just bad business sense. You gotta spend money to make money.

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 15:41
If you have a mattress phobia I'm sure any hostel owner would object to you sleeping on the floor or in your tent if they have the room.

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 15:42
not

Lilred
02-25-2009, 16:05
It's not like I would sleep on the mattress with no sheets or anything. I do have a sleeping bag to put between me and any mattress. After putting my grubby butt in that bag night after night, laying it on a mattress ain't gonna kill me.

Sly
02-25-2009, 16:07
If you have a mattress phobia I'm sure any hostel owner would object to you sleeping on the floor or in your tent if they have the room.

Do mattress phobic folks sleep on the floor in motels?

Lone Wolf
02-25-2009, 16:09
Do mattress phobic folks sleep on the floor in motels?

at least the mattressses in motels have clean sheets and a fart sack

The Weasel
02-25-2009, 16:52
I think the reason this thread was started so Miss Janet could get some ideas of what hikers think would make a hostel a nicer place to stay not a worse one Weasel. People open hostels because they love hikers and the trail. Many owners would tell you they get back just as much as they give. I'm not speaking of financial rewards. To suggest that hostels should have just the absolute basics and offer little more than shelters seems a little absurd. Your argument that it's too expensive for hostel owners to provide some of the ammeneties that have been mentioned is flawed. Although few if any hostel owners become rich running a hostel, most manage to squeak out a small profit. This would not be the case if it was a hostel that hikers would not want to go to. It's just bad business sense. You gotta spend money to make money.

Well, all in all, you're right, RH, but I agree most that it's for ideas about what makes it "nicer" too. But "nicer" for some isn't necessarily "more luxurious," a point which I think Jack Tarlin is making when he asks for a "quiet area" (really, I think he's saying "nicer" for him would be no TV at all). That's why there are hostels that are very nice in physical attributes (I'm not getting into names here and hope others don't too) but that are a bit soulless, and many/most of us would go for Miss Janet and a flat board bed than luxury and grouchiness.

As for "profit," I really doubt that any but a very few highly commercialized operations make any profit at all, on a real accounting basis. It's almost impossible for them to, and most do it as an act of love, as a second income from excess capacity from something else, a mission, or (these close the fastest) a belief that they can make a living at it.

By the way, I'm from Detroit. If you really, really, really believe that "you gotta spend money to make money," I have a couple of car companies you can buy for what you've got in your hip pocket right now.

TW

Lone Wolf
02-25-2009, 17:00
As for "profit," I really doubt that any but a very few highly commercialized operations make any profit at all, on a real accounting basis. It's almost impossible for them to, and most do it as an act of love, as a second income from excess capacity from something else, a mission, or (these close the fastest) a belief that they can make a living at it.

there's a bunch of hostels on the trail that make a profit

hopefulhiker
02-25-2009, 17:03
I have a bunch of junk I can donate, like a washer and dryer, furniture and stuff, if they need it...

The Weasel
02-25-2009, 17:14
there's a bunch of hostels on the trail that make a profit

You may be right, and there's no way to know for sure, since I don't think any of them are publicly traded companies with balance sheets we can look at. But I don't mean "they take in more money than they spend" kind of profit, which is known as "positive cash flow" (a concept which is alien to my Detroit auto company friends, but probably understood by most hostel owners). I'm talking about whether there is a hostel - without "side business" such as tours, significant supplies, parking, etc. - that has a true "bottom line" profit after all direct and indirect costs, including depreciation (which is a real cost although it doesn't involve writing a check...until the end of something's useful life). If there is one "pure" hostel that makes a buck on this basis, I'd be amazed.

That's why I'm really grateful to pretty much any hostel owner or operator, and that includes Ron Haven and Janet and any of the rest, since they're making a gift to us for as long as they can hold out. But that's why I don't expect (or, frankly want) all the bells and whistles of free internet and soap and TV and all the other things. I may not be saying it well, but what I really want is a place that's really friendly, welcoming, gentle. The rest of the stuff I can get at the Hampton Inn or the fancy places (and not much more expensive, if I'm sharing a room), but after a week or so of walking, a really good attitude at the front desk means a lot more to me than a "free" towel.

I don't have any doubts that's what Mr. Haven and Miss Janet are providing, either, and that is very, very, VERY special. I just hope they don't start providing so many "things" that what ends up is a wonderful memory after they find they can't afford to give so much away and close up. Again, in Detroit there was a car dealer with a radio ad that said, "Lose a little on each deal, but make it up in volume." That was a joke. I think. But he's gone, by the way.

TW

Sly
02-25-2009, 17:18
Weasel, when's the last time you hiked a trail and stayed at a hostel? Why don't you let the folks that actually do decide what's best.

The Weasel
02-25-2009, 17:23
Weasel, when's the last time you hiked a trail and stayed at a hostel? Why don't you let the folks that actually do decide what's best.

Gosh, Sly. You mean I forgot to send you all my trip reports? Oh, dang. I didn't see that on the form I signed. Damn. I'm sorry. I forgot. I probably will again. Like right now. Sorry. But thanks for asking. :D

TW

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 17:34
keeping in tone with the thread I think hostels need space. lots of space. Enough space so that those with different needs, wants and expectations will have enough room to get what they came for. Face it, if you get 20 or 30 people together in the same place not everyone will want, need or expect the same things.

Lone Wolf
02-25-2009, 17:39
Face it, if you get 20 or 30 people together in the same place not everyone will want, need or expect the same things.

i would want, need, and expect a freakin' gas mask! 4 hikers and their packs in a room stink like ass. can't imagine 30

hopefulhiker
02-25-2009, 17:43
There was one time up north at some campground about a mile off the trail, I hiked in late as usual to find that the only cabin had been filled up by eight thruhikers.. I walked in and had to walk right out... I slept in my tent that night... I don't know how those guys could even sleep it smelled so bad!

Lone Wolf
02-25-2009, 17:46
There was one time up north at some campground about a mile off the trail, I hiked in late as usual to find that the only cabin had been filled up by eight thruhikers.. I walked in and had to walk right out... I slept in my tent that night... I don't know how those guys could even sleep it smelled so bad!

thru-hikers are sheeple.they can't be apart. gotta stay in a clique at all times. lone wolves are much different

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 18:31
i would want, need, and expect a freakin' gas mask! 4 hikers and their packs in a room stink like ass. can't imagine 30
One reason for lots of space. And speaking of smell, I believe every hostel I'm aware of has shower facilities. These should not be optional. When you get to a hostel take a shower. You smell bad. I mean very bad. Extremely, horribly, offensively bad. Wash your dirty, nasty, funky hiker butts.

Sly
02-25-2009, 18:34
One reason for lots of space. And speaking of smell, I believe every hostel I'm aware of has shower facilities. These should not be optional. When you get to a hostel take a shower. You smell bad. I mean very bad. Extremely, horribly, offensively bad. Wash your dirty, nasty, funky hiker butts.

LOL... I agree. 1st thing to do when you hit town before anything else. I also liked the suggestion to have a bottle of fabreeze on hand for the packs

Lugnut
02-25-2009, 18:40
lone wolves are much different

They don't smell as bad? :D

Lone Wolf
02-25-2009, 18:47
They don't smell as bad? :D

that and they don't share rooms with stinky sheeple

Lugnut
02-25-2009, 18:57
I think I wanna' be a lone wolf when I grow up! They say I'm in my second childhood right now so it shouldn't be long. Any helpful hints you could pass along? :o

neighbor dave
02-25-2009, 19:26
it's all about space, ventilation, and cleanliness, that goes for the hikers too. i like the idea that you must wash yourself and your clothes before getting too comfy.

between hiker stench and fartin, a room without ventilation is sub-standard for human habitation. if ya can't fit 'em in comfortably, charge more for the space premium

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2009, 19:57
Weasel's post #170 contained one error......no, I would not prefer that hostels not have a TV at all.

There are places that have this policy that work great for everyone (like Kincora), but I have no objection to television. I like watching a good ball game or movie as much as anyone.

The problem is that in some facilities, the common room IS the TV room, so if you don't want to have to watch or listen to "Caddyshack" or "The Big Lebowski" for the 84th time in your life, you're pretty much stuck, as there's no common area which ISN'T dominated by the TV, and anywhere there's a TV on the Trail, it WILL be on from 7AM til lights out, that's the way it goes.
People do fine for days at a time without it, but when they have access to one, it's like moths on a lamp.

So there are hostels that are absolutely wonderful (say Neel Gap, Miss Janet's old place, Glenclif, etc.) where the common area pretty much WAS the TV room, leaving little space for reading, quiet conversation, etc. I remember a visit at Glencliff, which is one of the best facilities on the Trail, but it was the week that Phat Chapp had kindly purchased the "300" Spartans movie for the film library, which then proceeded to play three or four times a day for quite awhile, and at Glencliff, the TV room IS the common room.

After a day and a half of this, we were cheering for the Persians.

So, no Weasel, I have no problems with television, but if space permits, a separate parlor/living room might be nice, where folks can talk, read, write, or otherwise hang out without having to deal with non-stop television.

I realize that this isn't always possible, but not everyone wants to watch, or be forced to listen, to television.

SGT Rock
02-25-2009, 20:04
I gotta agree. If I ran a hostel. NO TV!

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 20:52
I gotta agree. If I ran a hostel. NO TV!
Worthy of a poll? Should hostels have/not have TVs, Drinking, Dogs....?

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2009, 20:55
Is a poll necessary, Rockhound?

As a general rule, I think television and beer tend to be a lot more popular than dogs. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
02-25-2009, 21:00
I wouldn't run my hostel by democracy. I would run it like I want. Sort of like Bob Peoples does. Doesn't seem to hurt his popularity.

I don't remember Standing Bear having a TV either. Never missed it. I like Standing Bear because it is what it is. Curtis doesn't try to have a hotel - he has a hostel on the edge of the Smokies that is going to get you enough rest and re-supply to get you to the next point be it Hot Springs or Gatlinburg. I hope to be bunking there again in April as I hike through and hope to not see a TV next time.

If you miss a TV then you probably need to get a hotel.

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 21:23
I have a bunch of junk I can donate, like a washer and dryer, furniture and stuff, if they need it...
That's a generous offer. I hope a hostel owner sees this that could use em'. To help with costs and do a little indirect trail magic other things hostels can use, off the top of my head are blankets, books, games, towels, soap, trash bags, cleaning products, Febreeze, dish soap, pots, pans, pillows. If any yellow blazers are going to be stopping by a hostel and have some things taking up space at home that the hostel might be able to use they should give em' a call first to see if they want it.

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 21:24
Is a poll necessary, Rockhound?

As a general rule, I think television and beer tend to be a lot more popular than dogs. :rolleyes:
I don't know Jack. I've seen some dogs more popular than some hikers.

Rockhound
02-25-2009, 21:27
I wouldn't run my hostel by democracy. I would run it like I want. Sort of like Bob Peoples does. Doesn't seem to hurt his popularity.

I don't remember Standing Bear having a TV either. Never missed it. I like Standing Bear because it is what it is. Curtis doesn't try to have a hotel - he has a hostel on the edge of the Smokies that is going to get you enough rest and re-supply to get you to the next point be it Hot Springs or Gatlinburg. I hope to be bunking there again in April as I hike through and hope to not see a TV next time.

If you miss a TV then you probably need to get a hotel.
This is spooky. Curtis and Maria's TV just died. You are one scary individual Rock. How the hell did you do that?

SGT Rock
02-25-2009, 21:29
I didn't mean to jinx them.

CrumbSnatcher
02-25-2009, 21:29
thank goodness none of you dog haters run a hostel then. winton,miss j,bob peoples,jeff-MRO, rob of dalton,packrat. and a few others always loved having my dog around!!! a well behaved,layed back, clean dog can and is nice to have around.

dixicritter
02-25-2009, 22:02
This is spooky. Curtis and Maria's TV just died. You are one scary individual Rock. How the hell did you do that?

Don't mess with Rock, I'm tellin ya.

Nearly Normal
02-25-2009, 22:44
Post a rules list.
Don't forget to add "no sniveling".

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/No-Sniveling-Posters_i1142487_.htm

Tin Man
02-25-2009, 22:45
Those who have attended Scout Camps (the good ones) and used cabins with disinfectant bottles and paper towels for cleaning the (vinyl) mattresses will know what I mean. It's kinda interesting what the paper towels look like after you clean your mattress.

TW

No Scout Camps have the privacy and peace and quiet as my tent setup a stealthy distance away from the boys and the noise.

SGT Rock
02-25-2009, 22:49
Post a rules list.
Don't forget to add "no sniveling".

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/No-Sniveling-Posters_i1142487_.htm
Three rules I ran my barracks by when I was an instructor:

Don't look at the monkeys in the other trees.

Don't throw coconuts at the other monkeys.

No Sniveling.

Always made for a civil group.

Tin Man
02-25-2009, 22:58

Sly beat me to it... I was about to ask the question myself...

Gosh, Sly. You mean I forgot to send you all my trip reports? Oh, dang. I didn't see that on the form I signed. Damn. I'm sorry. I forgot. I probably will again. Like right now. Sorry. But thanks for asking. :D

TW

... and I guess the answer is 'not recently'. :rolleyes:

Speaking for myself, the only redeeming qualities I found in the one hostel I stayed in was the shower and the people running it. All this amenity crap is educational :rolleyes:... and supports my view that hostels are good for a break, a shower, chat with some cool people and tap into the grapevine, but that's about it. Motel or tent sound like much better options. I wonder how many others feel that way. :-?

Lugnut
02-25-2009, 23:19
Three rules I ran my barracks by when I was an instructor:

Don't look at the monkeys in the other trees.

Don't throw coconuts at the other monkeys.

No Sniveling.

Rules to live by there. When I was stationed in Africa we used to have hedge apple fights with the monkeys. They apparently never got your memo!

The Weasel
02-25-2009, 23:30
Sly beat me to it... I was about to ask the question myself...

... and I guess the answer is 'not recently'. :rolleyes:

Speaking for myself, the only redeeming qualities I found in the one hostel I stayed in was the shower and the people running it. All this amenity crap is educational :rolleyes:... and supports my view that hostels are good for a break, a shower, chat with some cool people and tap into the grapevine, but that's about it. Motel or tent sound like much better options. I wonder how many others feel that way. :-?

Goldarn. Another guy I forgot to send those freakin' trip reports to. I gotta work on this memory thing, so I remember to tell you guys everything I do. Glad you care. But dang. Like my ol' Hoosier compadre usta say, "A mind is a terrible thing to lose. Or not have." Yeah. Sorry, TM. But until I find my mind, you go ahead and assume what you want. Spell that word for me, by the way. I forget how.

Speaking for myself, I agree with you 100% about redeeming qualities, what hostels are good for, and the virtues of your two alternatives. But I can't remember much more. Sorry. Enjoy. :rolleyes:

TW

Tin Man
02-26-2009, 00:00
Weasy, hiking more is good for what ails ya... like answering Sly's simple question... or were you offended? ... cause maybe you don't hike much, if at all these days, and are too lame to admit it. nothing to be ashamed of, all hikers retire from the trail sooner or later, and they need to yield to current hikers asking for current info. simple, see? :)

Ox97GaMe
02-26-2009, 03:12
Each hostel along the trail gets a reputation for having its own unique characteristics. They arent clones of each other. Each hiker has their own opinion about what makes their top 5 list of hostels. I would say that the things that each hiker remembers most when putting their list together include the following:

a) the hostel owner/caretaker. How the caretaker interacts (good and bad) with a hiker has the biggest impact on how that hiker feels and whether they give the seal of approval.

b) uniqueness of the hostel. Some hikers remember hostels that are somewhat rustic with limited amenities (Rusty's, Kincora, Standing Bear, Woods Hole) while others remember the high end/provide every possible amenity hostel. Some hikers like the sit around the table / family style dinners (Elmer's, Shaw's, Blueberry Patch, The Cabin) while others like the idea of fixing their own meals in a hiker kitchen (Kincora, Cloud 9), and still others just want to go to an AYCE.

c) Social aspect. Sometimes, if a hiker has been 'in the pack' with crowded shelters for the past week, they want to just have some quiet/alone time. Sometimes, hikers want to get together with their friends and share stories or compare notes. Some hikers just want to party it up while they are in town. Of course, what a particular hiker prefers may change depending on which town they are in or their modd on any given day.

d) Quantity/Type of rules and the enforcement. Although the trail experience allows hikers to be free and untethered, there still need to be guidelines. Without rules, there is chaos. Too many rules and you are labeled a control freak. Of course, if everyone just used common sense and respect for others, there wouldnt be a need for rule enforcement. Wouldnt that be a wonderful world to live in.

Here are the essential amenities that I think a hostel needs to be able to address for a hiker. (not in any particular order)
- Place to sleep
- Means to clean up
- Means to get meals
- Means to do their laundry
- Means to get resupply items
- Means to repair/replace gear
- Means to get necessary medical attention
- Means to communicate to/from family/friends

How these are provided, and to what extent will vary among hostels.

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 06:37
I keep seeing suggestions for beds/cots/place to sleep and showers..... Are there any that don't offer somewhere to sleep and a shower?:-?

freefall
02-26-2009, 06:41
I keep seeing suggestions for beds/cots/place to sleep and showers..... Are there any that don't offer somewhere to sleep and a shower?:-?
None that I know of, at least from GA to NJ. Everyone is just trying to be, all inclusive, of their suggestions.

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 06:42
None that I know of, at least from GA to NJ. Everyone is just trying to be, all inclusive, of their suggestions.

I didn't see anyone suggest that the place have a roof yet, although I may have missed it.:D

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 06:44
I didn't see anyone suggest that the place have a roof yet, although I may have missed it.:D

Never mind, post #8 suggested that one.:o

freefall
02-26-2009, 06:45
Good one, glad you added it. They may have forgotten this in the quest for personal butlers and masseuses.:D:sun

Never mind, post #8 suggested that one.:oI missed it/ forgot it too and I've been following this thread since the beginning.

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 06:45
The hostel should have a floor of some kind. Nobody wants to fall in a hole.

freefall
02-26-2009, 06:49
Never mind, post #8 suggested that one.:o

The hostel should have a floor of some kind. Nobody wants to fall in a hole.
Walls would be good. Yeah, maybe some walls with windows.

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 06:49
The hostel should allow thru hikers to use it

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 06:54
Walls would be good. Yeah, maybe some walls with windows.

You're on fire! I never would have thought of that one:D

freefall
02-26-2009, 06:55
:eek:
The hostel should allow thru hikers to use it
We got this roof, floor and all these walls and windows, why we gonna mess it up with dang-um thru-hikers?! Were gonna advertise as the Super 7 or maybe the Motel 7!

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 06:56
:eek:
We got this roof, floor and all these walls and windows, why we gonna mess it up with dang-um thru-hikers?! Were gonna advertise as the Super 7 or maybe the Motel 7!

Maybe we should go the extra mile and have "lightbulbs" that turn on and off and when you hit a "light switch."

freefall
02-26-2009, 06:58
Maybe we should go the extra mile and have "lightbulbs" that turn on and off and when you hit a "light switch."
Woah wait a minute. Gettin' a little fancy are we?:eek:

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 07:04
Woah wait a minute. Gettin' a little fancy are we?:eek:

Hey, Ron has Miss Janet. We have to come up with an equalizer...

freefall
02-26-2009, 07:10
Hey, Ron has Miss Janet. We have to come up with an equalizer...
Okay, okay, lettsee....
Ron, Miss Janet......
I got it! A roof, floor, walls (with windows), showers (hot), beds (with mattresses), a separate sitting room, a TV room (with unlimited DVDs collection and no more than a repeat in 180 hours), a full kitchen, limo shuttles and turn down service with mints on the pillow. All for $2.50 a night!:D

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 07:13
Okay, okay, lettsee....
Ron, Miss Janet......
I got it! A roof, floor, walls (with windows), showers (hot), beds (with mattresses), a separate sitting room, a TV room (with unlimited DVDs collection and no more than a repeat in 180 hours), a full kitchen, limo shuttles and turn down service with mints on the pillow. All for $2.50 a night!:D

Plus a large circus-style tent out back filled with oddities and freaks of nature- 2 bits a gander

freefall
02-26-2009, 07:18
Plus a large circus-style tent out back filled with oddities and freaks of nature- 2 bits a gander
I'd stay just for the circus tent but we forgot sumpthin'. What about soap in the kitchen for washin' dishes AND soap in the shower for washin' nasty hiker butts? Neutrogena or Palmolive?

zoidfu
02-26-2009, 08:07
I'd stay just for the circus tent but we forgot sumpthin'. What about soap in the kitchen for washin' dishes AND soap in the shower for washin' nasty hiker butts? Neutrogena or Palmolive?

I don't know if there's room in the budget for soap after the helper monkeys, nightly fireworks, and the waterslide.

Ron Haven
02-26-2009, 09:25
Reading this thread tells me you will like it.There is access to laundry with free washing powders across the Street at Budget Inn whether you are a guest or not,also internet access,within 3 blocks is the post office,hospital is 300 ft away,4 museums,grocery stores,3 bars and over 20 restaurants from fast food to fine dining,and yes bunks with sheets.

All with a free shuttle from Winding Stair,Rock and Wallace Gaps to Budget Inn,Sapphire Inn and Miss Janets several times a day.For info 828-524-4403 or check in your guide books.Even a ride around town on the bus at 4pm to post office,outfitter,grocery store and shopping centers such as Wal Mart and K Mart.

To ad the ending touch.Miss Janet is great.She makes it feel like home.We both hope to see you there.

warraghiyagey
02-26-2009, 09:30
Reading this thread tells me you will like it.There is access to laundry with free washing powders across the Street at Budget Inn whether you are a guest or not,also internet access,within 3 blocks is the post office,hospital is 300 ft away,4 museums,grocery stores,3 bars and over 20 restaurants from fast food to fine dining,and yes bunks with sheets.

All with a free shuttle from Winding Stair,Rock and Wallace Gaps to Budget Inn,Sapphire Inn and Miss Janets several times a day.For info 828-524-4403 or check in your guide books.Even a ride around town on the bus at 4pm to post office,outfitter,grocery store and shopping centers such as Wal Mart and K Mart.

To ad the ending touch.Miss Janet is great.She makes it feel like home.We both hope to see you there.

OH Puhhhleeeze. . . what do you know about running a hostel. . .http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/hiding.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

max patch
02-26-2009, 10:07

Yes.

And they were appreciated.

JAK
02-26-2009, 15:31
Architecture is important. Something homey. Location and setting also important. A nice place to hang out without misbehaving, even if you only want sleep and shower. A wicked breakfast would also be very good, even if only one thing on the menu. Better that way maybe. Something signature for the place, like beans and brown bread, or pancakes, or grits and whatever you folks have with grits.

Basically the place needs character, and class, be it ever so humble. Whether or not and how much of such character and class rubs off onto the hikers is always a crap shoot I guess. Here's to hoping, and to those that keep trying.

The Weasel
02-26-2009, 17:54
Weasy, hiking more is good for what ails ya... like answering Sly's simple question... or were you offended? ... cause maybe you don't hike much, if at all these days, and are too lame to admit it. nothing to be ashamed of, all hikers retire from the trail sooner or later, and they need to yield to current hikers asking for current info. simple, see? :)

I tried to respond to your question by a Private Message, but can't. If you can make that possible, I'd like to. I will say, however, that (to the possible regret of some) I am not retired from the trail.

TW

Tin Man
02-26-2009, 18:02
I tried to respond to your question by a Private Message, but can't. If you can make that possible, I'd like to. I will say, however, that (to the possible regret of some) I am not retired from the trail.

TW

No PM'S. Thank You.

When is your next hike?

The Weasel
02-26-2009, 18:03
No PM'S. Thank You.

When is your next hike?

Next weekend. I was going to invite you.

TW

Lone Wolf
02-26-2009, 18:05
No PM'S. Thank You.

one he sent me called me all kinds of names. bigot, racist, homophobe, anti-semite, etc. said he wouldn't come back to WB either :rolleyes:

Tin Man
02-26-2009, 18:09
one he sent me called me all kinds of names. bigot, racist, homophobe, anti-semite, etc. said he wouldn't come back to WB either :rolleyes:

Another reason to turn off PM'S. I grew tired of the whiny BS.

The Weasel
02-26-2009, 18:16
Another reason to turn off PM'S. I grew tired of the whiny BS.

I'm not interested in ancient wars, whether with LW (who has called me names, of course, and still does, although I've reached out to him and will continue to try to do so) or anyone else. WhiteBlaze is a place to learn from and to help others about both past delights in hiking and future plans for more, and I hope to do both learn and, where I can, offer information and insights. I hope you continue to do so, TM, since you have many good ones, and I hope LW does as well, since he does as well, along with so many others continue to do here, making this the best trail site I'm aware of.

Bring LW with you, if you are coming next week. My last PM to him offered him a beer, and I don't mind carrying a couple extra bottles for both of you.

TW

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 18:20
Well truth be told, Wolf, you HAVE made concentration camp jokes here; you have indeed called people "****" numerous times, etc.

So if you're overly sensitive about people being offended by this or consequently viewing you as anti-Semitic or homophobic, well where on earth do you think they got this idea? :-?

Just sayin'.

But truly, the best way to keep fron offending people is to refrain from deliberately posting stuff you know is offensive.

Pretty simple.

Tin Man
02-26-2009, 18:20
I'm not interested in ancient wars, whether with LW (who has called me names, of course, and still does, although I've reached out to him and will continue to try to do so) or anyone else. WhiteBlaze is a place to learn from and to help others about both past delights in hiking and future plans for more, and I hope to do both learn and, where I can, offer information and insights. I hope you continue to do so, TM, since you have many good ones, and I hope LW does as well, since he does as well, along with so many others continue to do here, making this the best trail site I'm aware of.

Bring LW with you, if you are coming next week. My last PM to him offered him a beer, and I don't mind carrying a couple extra bottles for both of you.

TW

Next week? You going to the Doylie thing?

The Weasel
02-26-2009, 18:23
Next week? You going to the Doylie thing?

No. I'm going to smell flowers. And walk.

TW

Rockhound
02-26-2009, 18:25
And hooks for hanging packs. I think that would be a wonderful idea.

Tin Man
02-26-2009, 18:29
No. I'm going to smell flowers. And walk.

TW

Go easy on the shrooms. Just saying.

The Weasel
02-26-2009, 18:29
It would be nice if hostels and hikertels - not just those on the AT - would make it possible to do something that was available, long long ago at hotels that had "shared baths" down the hall, by providing a towel, a bar of soap and a shower with free use of the lobby. Truck stops do this today. The price ranges around $10-15. Sometimes it's nice just to get clean, rest, use a phone, and then move on.

TW

JAK
02-26-2009, 18:30
LW follows a code, and its a good one. It works well for him.
Actually even the Weasel ain't so bad once you get the pattern. It does takes longer.

That's the trouble with this site.
You start missing people you don't even know, or even like very much.

The Weasel
02-26-2009, 18:32
Go easy on the shrooms. Just saying.

There won't be shrooms where I'm going, not yet. Even if, picking's not allowed.

TW

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 18:33
Virtually any A.T. hostel (and quite a few Trailside motels) will do this, all you have to do is ask nicely. (Best to do this in the morning; they may let you clean up quick in a room that hasn't been "changed over" yet).

And nearly every hostel will permit you to do this; noobody's forced to overnight. Neel Gap lets you pay for a shower if that's all you need. Miss Janet's used to let folks use whatever facilities they wished to, and then let folks leave a donation. Kincora does this, as do lots of other places.

The Weasel
02-26-2009, 18:39
LW follows a code, and its a good one. It works well for him.
Actually even the Weasel ain't so bad once you get the pattern. It does takes longer.

That's the trouble with this site.
You start missing people you don't even know, or even like very much.

Praised, if I may turn a phrase, with faint damns. Mirabile dictu!

Thanks, JAK.

TW

Lugnut
02-26-2009, 18:46
"shared baths" down the hall, by providing a towel, a bar of soap and a shower . TW

I'm not sharing a bath with anyone. Well, maybe Pamela Anderson. :p

Skidsteer
02-26-2009, 21:42
Mirabile dictu! TW

Great.

Something else to add to the word filter.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2009, 21:51
Well truth be told, Wolf, you HAVE made concentration camp jokes here; you have indeed called people "****" numerous times, etc.

So if you're overly sensitive about people being offended by this or consequently viewing you as anti-Semitic or homophobic, well where on earth do you think they got this idea? :-?

Just sayin'.

But truly, the best way to keep fron offending people is to refrain from deliberately posting stuff you know is offensive.

Pretty simple.

whatever you say hypocrite. i've been around you when you've said some pretty offensive stuff. and watched you laugh your silly butt off at other's expense. get off your high horse.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2009, 21:57

TW

i'll never drink a beer with you. did you save that long PM to me you sent months ago? i did. you're a phony. and mean. you're the only person on this site i never want to meet. i'm a better person than you. folks that know me know this.

Alligator
02-26-2009, 22:32
All righty then...separate rooms is the suggestion of the hour. How about getting back to Miss Janet's question?

Tin Man
02-26-2009, 22:38
http://www.funnypicture.ws/files/picture/82295527.jpg

The Weasel
02-27-2009, 00:00
i'll never drink a beer with you. did you save that long PM to me you sent months ago? i did. you're a phony. and mean. you're the only person on this site i never want to meet. i'm a better person than you. folks that know me know this.

Yep, I saved it. Are you a better person than me? Probably. Most people are. I'm glad you think so, too, and I mean that.

TW

Lugnut
02-27-2009, 00:17
He's killin' you with kindness. Turn the other cheek.

Tin Man
02-27-2009, 00:21
He's killin' you with kindness. Turn the other cheek.

yeah... right...

http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/hell_froze.jpg