PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Sterling Ridge Trail and Balsam Mtn Trail

mts4602
02-24-2009, 13:37
I'm taking a few people that have not really been backpacking before to Mt. Sterling in a few weeks.

Our 3rd day consists of going from Campsite #38 on mt. sterling to Tricorner knob using the mt.sterling ridge trail and Balsam Mtn trail.

The map says it's about 11.6 miles. Are these two trails very difficult, or is it pretty much ridge walking? Any deep gaps along the way?

Thanks,

MTS

Gray Blazer
02-24-2009, 14:40
Extremely easy. Mostly ridge walking. Hopefully the maintainers have cleared the Balsam Trail. The last time I hiked it, I got a little scratched up from the over growth.

sbennett
02-24-2009, 14:57
one of the flatter hikes in the park...wish I was going!

mts4602
02-24-2009, 18:08
fantastic, thank you soo much.

I'm very excited. I think everyones going to have a good time.

curtisvowen
02-25-2009, 09:45
There's alot of history linked with that trail & knowing the history behind some of the Park's trails really makes the hike interesting. It was used by the Indians and later during the Civil War years for crossing over from TN to NC.
If I'm not mistaken that trail is noted for having the longest run (distance) of trail at a constant elevation within the Park.
Have fun!

sliderule
02-25-2009, 11:55
If I'm not mistaken that trail is noted for having the longest run (distance) of trail at a constant elevation within the Park.

And if there has been rain recently, it ranks high as having the most mud.

Gray Blazer
02-25-2009, 13:28
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16272&c=member&imageuser=6217
Taken from the MT. Sterling Tower.
Read the description for the pic.
This should show the Sterling Ridge Trail over to Balsam Corner, The Balsams (Clingman's Dome in the background) on over to Tri-Corner Knob with Mt Sequoyah and Mt Guyot.

generoll
02-26-2009, 21:14
The hike up TO Mt. Sterling should be interesting for first timers.

Egads
02-26-2009, 22:08
The hike up TO Mt. Sterling should be interesting for first timers.

Translated, it's a long climb (from Big Creek)

Ox97GaMe
02-26-2009, 22:47
Wow.. you are starting them off with the climb up and over Sterling. I hope these are good friends. That 6 miles up from Big Creek is a brutal way to start a hiking trip.

But, once you reach the summit, it is a pretty easy ridge walk over to Tri Corner.

What route are you taking out from Tri??

mts4602
02-26-2009, 23:30
Wow.. you are starting them off with the climb up and over Sterling. I hope these are good friends. That 6 miles up from Big Creek is a brutal way to start a hiking trip.

But, once you reach the summit, it is a pretty easy ridge walk over to Tri Corner.

My post says our 3RD day we are leaving from Mt. Sterling to Tricorner.

We are going to #37 our first day which is easy as can be. 2nd Day going up shallow fork trail to Mt. Sterling. This is a hard climb, but MUCH easier than going the 6 miles up Baxter creek trail. 3rd day going to Tricorner like I said.
4th day going to Cosby via the AT. NOt too difficult, mostly downhill. Then 5th day going on AT to chesnut branch trail and then walking the road to the cars.

sliderule
02-26-2009, 23:30
That 6 miles up from Big Creek is a brutal way to start a hiking trip.

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Gray Blazer
02-26-2009, 23:39

4000' gain, too. Hardest climb I ever did after driving up all night from FL. Beautiful and easy after that. It's only 6 miles up.

If you want to cheat, start at Mt Sterling gap. Camel Hump trail is a beautiful easy way down to Big Creek.

gollwoods
02-27-2009, 20:39
new years I did that loop but I parked at the ranger station which is right where the chestnut branch trail comes out. it is where the permit registration box is.
for another option you could try going up to sterling day 2 and try for laurel gap shelter that night saves having to use the tents on Mt sterling. then day three it is a nice hike over to cosby shelter, laurel gap may be less crowded than tri corner,

mts4602
03-01-2009, 23:52
a couple people are actually not staying the whole time and leaving back down baxter after the night on sterling. Plus, staying the night on mt.sterling is pretty cool, definitely a good place to camp in my opinion.

for another option you could try going up to sterling day 2 and try for laurel gap shelter that night saves having to use the tents on Mt sterling. then day three it is a nice hike over to cosby shelter, laurel gap may be less crowded than tri corner,

flemdawg1
03-02-2009, 12:42

We are going to #37 our first day which is easy as can be. 2nd Day going up shallow fork trail to Mt. Sterling. This is a hard climb, but MUCH easier than going the 6 miles up Baxter creek trail. 3rd day going to Tricorner like I said.
4th day going to Cosby via the AT. NOt too difficult, mostly downhill. Then 5th day going on AT to chesnut branch trail and then walking the road to the cars.

Just did Big Creek-Sterling loop last week. Definately get water leaving Mt Sterling to Baxter Creek, no water for at least 4 miles. Check wind direction and camp on lee side on Mt Sterling. If there are alot of other campers there already, you can find a tent spot 10 yards behind the horse hitch rack. I hung my food bag on the cable at campsite 37, but something pecked/bit into my bag anyway (woodpecker?).

Marta
03-02-2009, 14:17
Just did Big Creek-Sterling loop last week. Definately get water leaving Mt Sterling to Baxter Creek, no water for at least 4 miles. Check wind direction and camp on lee side on Mt Sterling. If there are alot of other campers there already, you can find a tent spot 10 yards behind the horse hitch rack. I hung my food bag on the cable at campsite 37, but something pecked/bit into my bag anyway (woodpecker?).

There is a branch that juts out near one of the pulleys at #37. I think flying squirrels can get to the bags from there. Something can, anyway. One person in my group had their bag gnawed into there last August. I always use the pulley further away and have never had a problem.

Ashepabst
03-02-2009, 14:19
I hung my food bag on the cable at campsite 37, but something pecked/bit into my bag anyway (woodpecker?).

I stayed at 37 over labor day weekend the year before last... [i'm guessing it was a mouse] chewed through my food bag while it was hung up.

bulldog49
03-03-2009, 16:17

Personally, I think Tricorner is one of the dumpiest shelters in the Smokies. It's heavily used and always seem wet, dank and dirty. You will be walking right past Laurel Gap Shelter which you will come to about 5 or 6 miles before you reach Tricorner, and is in a nice location in a large level grassy area and not used as much as the shelters directly on the AT. Along with Icewater Spring and Silers Bald shelters it's one of my favorites.

sliderule
03-03-2009, 16:31
You will be walking right past Laurel Gap Shelter ...

Not quite.

mts4602
03-03-2009, 17:23
Personally, I think Tricorner is one of the dumpiest shelters in the Smokies. It's heavily used and always seem wet, dank and dirty. You will be walking right past Laurel Gap Shelter which you will come to about 5 or 6 miles before you reach Tricorner, and is in a nice location in a large level grassy area and not used as much as the shelters directly on the AT. Along with Icewater Spring and Silers Bald shelters it's one of my favorites.

The only problem is that since we're coming from mt. sterling, its only around 6.2 miles or so to Laurel Gap shelter on a pretty easy trail.

we would probably get there really early.

Then it's 14 miles to Cosby.

bulldog49
03-04-2009, 16:37
Not quite.

Yes, quite. It's about a .1 miles off the Balsam Mt Trail.
I've stayed at plenty of AT shelters much further than that off the trail.

bulldog49
03-04-2009, 16:40
The only problem is that since we're coming from mt. sterling, its only around 6.2 miles or so to Laurel Gap shelter on a pretty easy trail.

we would probably get there really early.

Then it's 14 miles to Cosby.

Yes, but the 14 miles to Cosby are pretty easy as well, with an elevation drop as you approach Cosby.

sliderule
03-04-2009, 18:03

If you walk "right past" the Laurel Gap Shelter on the route from Mt. Sterling to Tricorner Knob, you turned the wrong way at the previous trail intersection. Backtrack 0.2 miles and turn left.

mts4602
03-04-2009, 18:06

But how far is it from the intersection of the Mt. sterling ridge trail and Balsam Mtn trail? On the map it looks to be maybe 0.5mile.