PDA

View Full Version : SOBOers....resupplying in Maine....Help Please

hikergirl1120
02-24-2009, 14:08
From what I have gathered ME seems to be the hardest place to resupply along the trail.

Could any veteran SOBOers out there offer me their experiences / suggestions? I am trying to ease my worries a little.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!!!

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 14:16
Monson, Stratton, Rangely and Andover are the places i resupplied at

fiddlehead
02-24-2009, 14:26
Caratunk is right on the trail also.
Monson is a must of course.
Rangely and Andover are only a day apart so i wouldn't go into both.

addict
02-24-2009, 14:32
Stratton is good resupply. Rangley is a great resupply. Easy hitch, IGA Supermarket, pubs, hotels, hostels, and there was even a free hostel there last year. Monson has a limited resupply (a small shop and a gas station).

Have a great hike. Don't forget your bug net.

RITBlake
02-24-2009, 15:16
You'll be fine in Maine you just won't have the same variety/selection that you will further down when you start hitting real grocery stores.

Old Hillwalker
02-24-2009, 15:19
Nothing in Caratunk except the post office. Limited resupply available at Whitehouse Landing.

Frick Frack
02-24-2009, 15:22
We resupplied in Monson (Shaws drove us to Greenville to get my wife some new boots & we used the grocery there but Monson has resupply as well as a PO), Stratton, then Gorham, NH. We did a small resuppply at White House Landing in the 100 Mile Wilderness because we overestimated our speed. I would take Lone Wolf's advice because we were carrying WAY too many days worth at that point. You will figure it out quick like we did though so I wouldn't sweat it.

Frick Frack
02-24-2009, 15:23
You'll be fine in Maine you just won't have the same variety/selection that you will further down when you start hitting real grocery stores.

Yeah, Maine is beautiful but it will make you appreciate a good resupply. I thought we had found gold in Hanover at the Co-Op.

Pootz
02-24-2009, 15:30
There are plenty of resupply points all along the AT. I did my entire thru hike on 3 mail-drops. Could have made it on none. Get a copy of the thru hikers handbook, everything you will need to know is in there.

RITBlake
02-24-2009, 16:17
There are plenty of resupply points all along the AT. I did my entire thru hike on 3 mail-drops. Could have made it on none. Get a copy of the thru hikers handbook, everything you will need to know is in there.

We got by on exactly one mailed resupply and that was for Jetboil fuel in Caratunk (which I don't think we even really needed)

boarstone
02-24-2009, 18:12
The wilderness area seems to give most people who hike NOBO/SOBO the most concern...resupply out of Monson north bound....if south bound..whitehouse landing will be available, tho a bit off trail but a nice *&* stop. If this is not what you want to do, you can mail a drop to me to have delivered before Monson. I'm in the Appalachian Pages or PM me at [email protected]

Wheeler
02-24-2009, 18:20
You can definitely re-up at whitehouse landing. You can re-up in Caratunk, but it's a pain. An iffy hitch like 5-6 miles. the other spot's are fine. Yeah SOBO!

Wheeler
02-24-2009, 18:21
Caratunk good for drop though, as P.O. is only a couple hundred yds. from trail.

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 18:29
Any of the standard Trail guides will tell you where you can Re-Supply or where you can receive mail/packages in Maine.

There's also extensive info on Re-Supply if you look at the "Articles" section of this website.

TJ aka Teej
02-28-2009, 20:01
No resupply in Caratunk. You need to go north to The Forks where there's a small but good store, or hitch up to Jackman where there's excellent resupply. Bingham is a few miles closer, but the hitch is harder. And as I've been tellin' folks for years, don't try to bounce a box tween Monson and Caratunk, you'll hike in before your box gets there.

think0075
03-18-2009, 18:21
I agree with the caratunk statement. we got stuck there last year when the kennebec ferry closed down due to rain. it was pretty boring to be stuck at the rafting place there i forget the name. but there lack of service was only compounded by the lack of resupply and amenities. the only thing nice was the hot tub. but resupply will be easy enough if you think you wont make it through the wilderness stop at whitehouse landing. then you have monson, stratton, andover, or rangely where a hitch in to town is easy and have a better and cheaper selection of food then andover does. my only suggestion is that if you have specific bars, snacks or foods that you like maybe send those in a box and bounce them ahead because some of the stores have limited selection.