PDA

View Full Version : Found on trail - tent

jaywalke
02-24-2009, 14:24
I did a chilly three-day hike this weekend. Yesterday morning I found a tent all packaged up in the middle of the trail on top of cold, cold Cove Mountain with no one around for miles. It looks like it just fell off someone's pack.

If you think it's yours, send me a PM with the model that you lost and what was unique about it, and we'll figure out how to get it back to you.

skinewmexico
02-24-2009, 15:57
Hope they were on the way to the car.

Newb
02-24-2009, 16:03
maybe it came from the tent fairy?

jaywalke
02-24-2009, 16:36
What does the tent fairy give you if you're bad?

Sly
02-24-2009, 16:38

Something made of canvas. :D

Cabin Fever
02-24-2009, 16:40
What kind of tent was it?

Just Jack
02-24-2009, 16:49
By chanch--was it about 8 x 10?

Hooch
02-24-2009, 16:50
maybe it came from the tent fairy?If it came from a fairy, it had to be a tent. :eek::D:rolleyes::banana

Six-Six
02-24-2009, 17:28
Talk about trail magic....?

SunnyWalker
02-24-2009, 21:39
Clip flashlight tent??!???!?

littlelaurel59
02-25-2009, 09:12

A super ultralight tent with total rain and bug protection with lots and lots of room, but which has been put up wet, mildewed, and smells REALLY really bad. What torment!!!

bulldog49
02-25-2009, 11:35
I did a chilly three-day hike this weekend. Yesterday morning I found a tent all packaged up in the middle of the trail on top of cold, cold Cove Mountain with no one around for miles. It looks like it just fell off someone's pack.

If you think it's yours, send me a PM with the model that you lost and what was unique about it, and we'll figure out how to get it back to you.

I section hiked that part of the trail last week, and did not encounter any other hikers, except 1 day hiker, all week.

fredmugs
02-25-2009, 11:53
If I lost something that I really wanted back I would re-trace my steps in an attempt to find it. Now that you have taken the tent that would make it impossible to do.

Darwin again
02-26-2009, 12:22
If I lost a piece of gear, I'd go back for it when I figured out I'd dropped or left it... Hopefully, nobody would have picked it up and walked away with it, especially a tent if I were out in winter conditions.

Or maybe someone left the tent for someone else who was eventually following up from behind?

Too many possibilities -- that's why I leave gear where I find it unless there's a note saying it's abandoned or it's obviously been abandoned for a long time.

You never know.

Spogatz
02-26-2009, 13:02
I hope they didn't drop it and go for water. Big surprise when they got back....

bulldog49
02-26-2009, 14:09
If I lost something that I really wanted back I would re-trace my steps in an attempt to find it. Now that you have taken the tent that would make it impossible to do.

Would you re-trace your steps for 10 miles? :-?

Gray Blazer
02-26-2009, 14:21

My tent had a top and a bottom, some mosquito netting and a zipper. Thank you.

Darwin again
02-27-2009, 12:25

It's been done!
I met a guy in '06 in Pennsylvania who hiked back southbound five miles because he'd left his tent poles behind. That's a nice way to spend a day on the rocks. :rolleyes:

D'Artagnan
02-27-2009, 16:43

Not for a tent. Now a hammock....... :D

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2009, 19:33
I always see tents and stuff on the trail -- isn't that normal?

jaywalke
03-26-2009, 12:24
Update: Owner found, tent returned. He was thrilled that someone was willing to carry it out for him.

The notice here on Whiteblaze didn't do it, or the notice I put in the RATC newsletter. His buddy was up on Dragon's Tooth looking for it (a mile from where I found it) when a friend of mine was up there, and they just started chatting. Fortunate coincidence.

He knew all the particulars, including the odd fact that it still had the tags on it. It was a brand-new Hubba Hubba, BTW.

I probably stood over that tent on the trail for five minutes trying to figure out the right thing to do. I knew the owner wasn't nearby, because Cove is a narrow ridgetop there. There's nowhere to hide. I came up with all sorts of reasons not to carry the weight (some of which are echoed above) but then realized that I was simply trying to justify not getting involved.

It all worked out in the end.

kanga
03-26-2009, 12:38
you done good.

mudcap
03-26-2009, 13:44
you done good.

Ditto on that.

hikingshoes
03-26-2009, 15:57
JW,good job,need more good people like you around in this world.have a great day my friend,Charles

stumpy
03-26-2009, 16:29
We came across a similar situation last weekend in GA. We found a cup/ plate/ bowl just sitting in the middle of trail. Then a few minutes later we came across a small stuff sack followed by some cooking stuff. We were not really sure what to do. It was very crowded on the trail with people walking north and south. I was afraid that if I picked it up and carried it to the next shelter it would have been someone's walking the other way. We deciced to just leave it where it was. At least it was not as important as someone's shelter. That would have really, really bothered me to find a tent on the trail.

mister krabs
03-26-2009, 16:40
Last weekend I was hiking jocassee gorges with my son. Around dusk a couple hikers came through, they had found my 7y.o. son's walkie talkie that had been clipped to the outside of his pack. He had dropped it a few miles back when we stopped to rest. It must have happened when I said, "Don't drop your pack, chief...." followed by a *thump*

Really nice of them to carry that along and find us.

Homer&Marje
03-27-2009, 06:19
I carried a sigg water bottle, full 32 oz, (Not much unless your 12 miles into your 14 day and very wet.

Problem is I was tired, and I thought it was a fuel bottle....stood there for a few minutes thinking of what to do, knowing that I was coming up on the shelter I decided to carry it and see if anyone was the owner.

I was very thirsty and almost out of water.....found no one at the shelter so I decided to check what kind of fuel it was, and then realized....it's a sigg water bottle. Full of water....that I could have drank on that last hill.:-?:-?

Now it has my methyl in it. And labeled such.

jrwiesz
03-27-2009, 09:58
We came across a similar situation last weekend in GA. We found a cup/ plate/ bowl just sitting in the middle of trail. Then a few minutes later we came across a small stuff sack followed by some cooking stuff...

Is Bryson back on the trail? :banana

Are you sure you weren't following Katz? :D

gearfreak
03-27-2009, 10:08

If he didn't pass anyone prior to getting to the tent and never saw anyone coming toward him after he picked it up, does it seem likely that someone who would secure something so poorly and then not realize that it had even fallen would be coming back? :-? Doubtful.