PDA

View Full Version : ATC map bundle...

Swheeler05
02-24-2009, 15:32
Planning a Thru starting April 1st and still haven't gotten maps. I have the 2008 data book and the '08 Companion. Is it necessary to get the entire map bundle from the ATC website? And if so, how do I know I'm getting the most recent ones... the note on the website says something about 07 maps... help!

mtbmatty
02-24-2009, 19:47
1) a couple of things to think about here. pick one book that your comfortable with and leave the other at home. i think there is probably some redundancy between them.

B) maps and a compass (assuming you know how to use them) make sense to me from a safety standpoint. wether you or someone else absolutely has to get off the trail ASAP. if there were an emegency a medical perhaps. with maps you could find the fastest way to----> side trail---->road---->help, shelter, cold beer hot pizza....well you get the point

III) call the ATC and ask if you are buying the most current maps available.

fore) see you out there i'm startin on the 2nd:sun

Left Hand
02-24-2009, 19:58
Unless you care about the altitude profile, you don't need maps for the AT. One data book, or trail companion, or handbook will suffice. Save on the weight.

Blissful
02-24-2009, 20:37
Saving supposed weight but leaving maps at home is foolish, IMO. There are plenty of threads about the importance of maps that you may want to look at. And as one who saw us get lost several times at junctions and other spots when one or the other didn't have maps, they are needed. And needed in case of emergency. And there are places the trail is not blazed well.

take-a-knee
02-24-2009, 21:01
Unless you care about the altitude profile, you don't need maps for the AT. One data book, or trail companion, or handbook will suffice. Save on the weight.

Here we go again, I think some knuckleheads just like to stir the pot.

fredmugs
02-25-2009, 11:59
Get the maps. You will be able to see where the road crossings and water sources are. Personally I like to pick out a spot 3 or so miles ahead of me on the map and then hike until I get there and take a break. Plus there is a nice feeling when you get a map completed.

I have absolutely no idea why you would ever need a compass on the AT.

max patch
02-25-2009, 12:02
Get the maps.

ATC sells the most current versions. Maps are not updated every year. A map from 2007 is fine.

mtbmatty
02-25-2009, 12:39
I have absolutely no idea why you would ever need a compass on the AT.:confused:

a map is a worthless piece of paper if you don't know which way you are going. that makes the compass essential.

you may be able to do the trail without them, but if you have to get off the trail, or if you do somehow manage to get turned around. you will have all the tools to help you get back on course

Turtlehiker
02-25-2009, 14:11
It would really suck to wake up in the morning and start walking the wrong way.

Hey this view looks just like the one from yesterday at lunch!

i am not saying that I have ever done this:-?

jersey joe
02-25-2009, 14:17

Hey this view looks just like the one from yesterday at lunch!

i am not saying that I have ever done this:-?
I have done this and it is no fun.

Maps aren't essential but you'd be smart to carry them, especially if an emergency arises.
You likely won't use a compass very often, but it may be worth it's weight in a pinch.

The dates on maps are rarely current. Most map sets have several years between versions. I believe the ATC sells the most recent from each section.

Blissful
02-25-2009, 14:28

We did that once, in PA. Started down the AT the wrong way after coming of the side trail from the shelter. It can happen.

lingo
02-25-2009, 18:42
I think that if you started back down the trail the wrong way in the morning, you either (a) drank too much that night or (b) smoked too much high octane. I can see needing the maps at some intersections if they are poorly marked. I may be blowing smoke though, i am hoping to start my thru on March 21 and don't have maps. I am a land surveyor and have a great sense of direction. If I get lost, it will just be part of the adventure. One bit of advice though, in case of an emergency always follow water. You will find a road or town soon.

mtbmatty
02-26-2009, 11:10
i am hoping to start my thru on March 21 and don't have maps. I am a land surveyor and have a great sense of direction. If I get lost, it will just be part of the adventure. One bit of advice though, in case of an emergency always follow water. You will find a road or town soon.

ALWAYS BE PREPARED

(just follow water) i'm sorry, but that seems like irresponsible advice to offer. this may work at times,and as a last ditch effort may be the best course of action. reality is preperation, and a healthy respect for the outdoors will serve you well. i don't claim to be an expert, and chances are you will be fine on the AT without maps. but people much smarter than me, consider maps and a compass standard equipment.

best of luck on your hike

booney_1
02-26-2009, 13:22
Maps help for planning. At the end of the day...do you stop at this spring or go on? might depend how far the next shelter or water is.

In the morning, do you fill all your water bottles? or does today's route contain many water crossings?

There are some stretches where water is quite scarce.

I really like the profiles, it's nice to know if the hill coming up is 500M or 2500M.

Not that you are going to take any shortcuts...but there are some spots (like Grayson Highlands) where you might want to take a short cut, and you need a map to show you that.

There's something to be said for hiking blind and letting the terrain unfold with all it's good and bad surprises. But I think you'd be well served with maps..