PDA

View Full Version : Is there overnight Parking at Wayah Bald tower

solobip
02-24-2009, 16:38
I am planning a hike to start at Wayah Bald, at the John Bryne Memorial Tower. I recall a parking lot there. Does anyone know if overnight parking is allowed? Is it Safe (reasonably). Thanks.

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 16:45
Good question. Off the top of my head, I think it's OK to park there, but I have no idea how safe it is.

I suggest you call Ron Haven in Franklin, who is up there all the time.

Try (828) 524-4403

solobip
02-24-2009, 17:02
Thanks for the lead. I will give him a try.

Egads
02-24-2009, 18:31
Yes, there is parking there. I'd consider it more safe than many other locations on the AT as it is so far off the beaten path

Gray Blazer
02-24-2009, 20:09
A lot of people leave their cars there. Don't know if that makes it safe. Be responsible and don't leave valuables out in the open.

daddytwosticks
02-24-2009, 20:34
Egads is dead right...it's pretty remote being at the end of a winding, steep forest service road off an equally remote state paved road running from the outskirts of Franklin to the Nantahala River rafting/kayak put in. I've been up there many times and have only seen one or two cars up there at a time...weekends may be a bit busyer.

Skidsteer
02-24-2009, 20:37
I'd park there if I needed to with little worry.

It has johns and trash cans too.

Gray Blazer
02-25-2009, 08:06
Also has picnic tables and it is so nice, the trail is even paved with asphalt.

MedicineMan
02-25-2009, 08:36
Met up with the oldest daughter in the Pisgah NF to do Looking Glass Rock...got back to discover the vandals had smashed in a window...the police rangers of the NF said that they operate in groups and cover a wide area, that probably many cars were hit that day in a 200 mile radius. He told us they would (got the daughters purse) hit the nearest gas station and charge a dollar to see if the card was good, then hit the walmarts for 360s..sure enough later on we found a 1 dollar charge.
Two weeks later I got a phone call, a backpack with my phone number was found discarded in the woods along with the belongings of many others hit that day....best to use a shuttle if at all possible is the bottom line and leave your car in a safe place.

Ron Haven
02-25-2009, 09:09
Good question. Off the top of my head, I think it's OK to park there, but I have no idea how safe it is.

I suggest you call Ron Haven in Franklin, who is up there all the time.

Try (828) 524-4403Thanks Jack,The forest service patrols that very regularly and I haven't ever heard of vandalism.The parking area if a couple of hundred feet past the Wayah Bald Tower sign around the sharp curve on the right.

Roots
02-25-2009, 10:19
Met up with the oldest daughter in the Pisgah NF to do Looking Glass Rock...got back to discover the vandals had smashed in a window...the police rangers of the NF said that they operate in groups and cover a wide area, that probably many cars were hit that day in a 200 mile radius. He told us they would (got the daughters purse) hit the nearest gas station and charge a dollar to see if the card was good, then hit the walmarts for 360s..sure enough later on we found a 1 dollar charge.
Two weeks later I got a phone call, a backpack with my phone number was found discarded in the woods along with the belongings of many others hit that day....best to use a shuttle if at all possible is the bottom line and leave your car in a safe place.

I agree about the shuttle thing when it comes to unknown areas BUT the parking at Looking Glass area is a lot different than the parking at Wayah. Looking Glass is constantly full of cars. I am not surprised at all this happened to you. Sorry.

Wayah doesn't have the volume of people up there that Looking Glass does. You shouldn't have any problems with leaving your car up there. Like Ron said, it is patroled.

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2009, 20:16
Thanx Ron!!

When in doubt, ask a local.

MintakaCat
02-28-2009, 07:50
That's an area I know very well. I've had to spend many a day working on radio equipment up there at near by Wine Springs bald. That's a long way from Loafer's Glory near Hwy 64 all the way up to Wayah Bald, my quess is over 12 miles.

Dosen't mean you won't have problems with vandals up there, but I would say that it's less likely.

Bulldawg
02-28-2009, 19:08
Thanks Jack,The forest service patrols that very regularly and I haven't ever heard of vandalism.The parking area if a couple of hundred feet past the Wayah Bald Tower sign around the sharp curve on the right.

When I was up at Wayah at Thanksgiving I met a USFS Ranger on the way in and another one on the way out.