PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aether 70; ideas and questions

Petr
02-24-2009, 20:21
So, I'm the proud owner of a new Osprey Aether 70. Really like a lot of things about it but I could use some of WB's finer minds to come up with some solutions/advice on a couple of issues. Keep in mind that my sewing "skills" are rudimentary at best though I could always farm that work out to good ol' mom.

1. The big knock on this pack is that it doesn't have anywhere to stow water bottles within reach. I'm not too into the bladder system, so I want to mod my pack to fix this problem. There are these pretty heavy duty loops on each side of my pack near the base; I'm not positive what they're for but I think maybe skis. Since I won't be carrying skis, I thought that I might sew in a "bottom strap" or mesh bag to convert them into water bottle holders. Illustrative pic below (forgive my poor MS Paint skills). The bottle actually sits pretty nice there and is easy (for me at least) to reach. Anybody have a reason that this is a bad idea?

2. I've got an all-weather camera (waterproof to 6 meters) that's pretty much rectangular in shape: 3.75" x 2.5" x .75" I'd like to rig something up so that I could wear it on my chest strap so it'd be easily accessible but secure enough that I won't lose it. Any ideas?

3. It seems like all the straps on this pack are about 6" too long; I'd like to trim them and resew the folds on the end, but I worry that with all of my gear and a full load of food I might need the extra inches. It seems wise to wait until I have a chance to see what my pack needs are at maximum load, but, in general, do a lot of people trim these things?

4. What the hell are these for? See pic 2 below. Every strap is strapped into place and I've got these two random buckles hanging out. I'm flabbergasted.

5. Any other clever ideas specific to this pack?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Peter

bigcranky
02-24-2009, 20:45
3. Don't cut the straps until you've used the pack for a while. Seriously.

4. Those buckles are for compressing the pack with a very small load. Your main compression straps will go all the way across the pack and mate with these buckles.

FritztheCat
02-24-2009, 20:54
I have the same pack (only in green). I use the bladder system but to be honest, being able to grab waterbottles on the fly would be better. Getting the bladder into and out of the pack when the pack is full is a chore. The only thing that comes to mind for sewing the mesh onto the straps would be the swaying of the bottle. If it were to constantly knock against the back of my legs, that would drive me batty. I don't have any ideas about your camera but hope you get some good responses. I'd like to rig up something similar.

Wags
02-24-2009, 20:54
i've got the aether as well. yes the water bottle pockets are useless for drinking on the go. i store my fuel in 1 and rain jacket in the other. i use a bladder so no solution on the bottle issue

camera. i just use a little camera pouch from 'lowepro'. the 'ridge 30'. it's got a little belt loop thing on the back of it. i simply route my waistbelt attachment through this and my camera is secure and easy to grab when i want to take a picture.

3. i don't trim them. weight penalty not worth the damaged resale value (plus if i ever need to stuff the crap out of my pack, like you mentioned)

4. i think that's to attach on some gay daypack thing osprey sells, like a summit pack. i think. i have not found a use for these

5. enjoy. i love mine

Dingus Khan
02-24-2009, 21:04
i've been using this pack for a couple of years, love it but it does come with it's relatively weighty heft. it's a bit big for the summer months but carries my weight of 20-25lbs well and compresses accordingly. great for winter escapes imo.
a tip with the water bottle - i have been using a 20oz coke bottle that i can tuck into the side pockets via the vertical opening by the descending frame shaft - you'll know what i mean when you see it - the neck of the bottle extends outwardly and is easy to pull out/replace.
ditto on big cranky's recs - while i have cut straps on several packs i just don't see the need on this one...
hope this helps

Dingus Khan
02-24-2009, 21:07
oh, and i too just undo the hip belt and feed it through a camera case, no bouncing around on my chest...

Frick Frack
02-24-2009, 21:13
I used my Aether 70 for my 2008 sobo and loved it. I ended up putting my bladder in one of the side pockets so that I did not have to fish it out all the time. That gave me more room inside (that I really didn't need). Putting your bottles in the ice axe loop would be risky because they could fall out and you would never know. I started with bottles only and switched to a bladder because it made me drink more. Not saying thats what you should do but its what worked for me. I also used a Mountain Smith Exposure II S camera bag that fitted to my shoulder strap...making it easy to pull out fast (not fast enough to ever get a good bear shot!). You may end up sending your lid home like my wife did because you will realize you have more than enough room.

Good luck! Have a Blast!

buz
02-25-2009, 09:19
I also own this pack. Side pockets useless for bottles, maybe as noted good for specific ones, but when the pack is full on the bottom, wrestling bottles from the too tight elastic isn't worth it. Your thought on the ice axe/ski loops is good, but I would also be concerned about the bounce issue.

You could trim straps, after figuring max load you would ever carry is in your pack and then size them up for that load and trim. But not much is going to be saved. Just don't take lid, save lots of weight.

Lid is useless IMO, never on my pack. And to use it as a daypack by taking off the waistbelt..........just stupid. Try it once, really bad design, followed closely by side pocket design.

I use a bladder, and in general don't put it in the bladder pocket, unless it is really full (3L) for weight reasons. Normally just put it on top of all the gear, outside of trash bag.

Camera and hip belt pockets. I put the camera on the sternum strap, but have devised a "keeper" out of bike tire innertube to make sure the camera bag won't fall off strap once installed. I can put pack on and off without worrying about camera coming loose. Hip belt pockets. I have a couple of small sil nylon sacks, and with some stiff plastic have made hip belt pockets. Cut stiff yet bendable plastic, like off gallon milk jugs, double layer, right sized to wedge into waist belt. Bigger than playing card size, you have to play around to get just the right size. Then these go into bottom/one side of stuff sack, wedge into belt, voila, hip belt pockets. Very convienant.

I like the pack overall, carries weight great, and I got it on super sale, less than $100. Will it be the pack for a thru hike that is in my future, no way. But for now, great pack for scouting and backpacking i do today.

skinewmexico
02-25-2009, 11:55
Both GG and MLD sell aftermarket pockets for your hip belt and shoulder straps. Both are a lot lighter than a camera case.

Petr
02-25-2009, 12:30
Thanks for the ideas everybody. Gotta love WB.

morgan
02-25-2009, 12:54
I've used this pack for 2 years and 300 miles, including an 11 day trip to Philmont with the scouts.

Here's what I discovered:

Camera: I bought a small Sony camera case from Target that is designed to be snapped onto a belt. I clip it on the upper part of the left shoulder strap. This provides easy access and keeps it out of the way. If you hook it to the chest strap it will probably fall off each time you take off your pack or undo the strap. I took over 300 pictures at Philmont and never had a problem with it getting in the way or falling off.

Glasses: I attached a Granite Gear glasses case to the right shoulder strap for easy access.

Water bottle: I carry a thin 24 oz. Camelbak bottle and use the vertical slits in the water bottle holder. This makes it easy to get out but it is still a pain to re-insert. A full size Nalgene is a pain to use unless you have a hiking partner who doesn't mind helping out.

Extra Loops: There are 6 black loops on the back of the pack (3 on each side). I bought some black stretchy cord and weaved it through these loops. It provides a great place to stash my crocs or wet/muddy gear.

Dogwood
02-25-2009, 21:22
1) you may be able to rig a water bottle set-up on the shoulder straps, attach a split D Ring on the webbing, attach a carabiner to the D Ring, using something like a Sigg or bicycle water bottle with a cap with a hole in it attach it to the D Ring, thread a 6 in long piece of velcro under the webbing, bind the velcro around the base of the water bottle to keep it from swaying. You could also use a Gatorade type bottle by rigging it with a piece of shoesting or stretch cord around the pinched neck of the upper part of the bottle and attach the carabiner to that.

2) if you are considering cutting strap lengths on this pack don't do it until you fully realize the extent that the straps may be use. For example, if you are thinking about cutting shoulder strap length do it when you are wearing all the clothing that you may wear while wearing the pack. Put on those muliple torso layers, Michelin man jacket, the fully loaded pack, adjust the shoulder straps, still allowing for a little extra leeway, and then proceed. Singe the end of the cut straps. Then, sew if you desire. This is not a light wt pack though. It never will be. But, maybe you could make it lighter wt.

Petr
02-26-2009, 09:15
I have no illusions of the pack being UL or anything, I just find the accumulated 6 feet of straps blowing in the breeze to be aesthetically distasteful. Wouldn't want to be accused of being a gram weenie. ;)

LTHotSauce
02-28-2009, 17:42
Here is a army tip, take the excess straps, roll them up, and wrap them in a little bit of duct tape. This keeps them out of the way and keeps all the straps there in the off chance you need them. They were put there for a reason right?

gtg
03-05-2009, 22:46
I have been using the Aether70 for just over a year now. At first i couldnt figure out all the straps and the whole limiting pockets for water bottles was a big issue for me when i shopped for a new pack. It seems few packs have the decent water bottle pockets so because i like the overall feel of the Aether I went with it and just attach my own holder to the belt.
As far as all of the straps I was frustrated too until i met up with another Aether user on the trail who showed how i can really compact the bag down with them. Now even when i just have a light 1-2 night load i use my Aether 70 and just compress it fully over the day pack i was using.
So dont think i gave you any solid advice other than I hope you to can find someone who is so into their pack as i did and that person can show how to best use all those straps. Its a darn fine pack its stood up well to the torture i put it through, I hope you enjoy yours.