PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: Free dinner for past through hikers in Athens, GA on 2/26/09

arainvil
02-24-2009, 21:31
Hey there everyone!
Meatbag here (Class '08). Just wanted to let everyone know that I've coordinated an Appalachian themed Themed special event for Food Services at the University of Georgia on February 26th.
Here's the story. I've been working as a manager at one of the dining halls on campus for five years. Three years ago my girlfriend and I got the idea to hike the trail. I was nervous about telling my director that I'd need to quit or take leave for five months for the hike. But when I went to his office to talk to him about it, there, hanging behind his desk was the "End of the Journey" poster. There were pictures on his shelves of him hiking and camping. He was hesitant about letting me off for five months, but he ended up allowing me to take leave because it was something he'd always wanted to do and he didn't want me to pass it up.
Very nice of him. The deal, however, was that I when I came back I would plan an Appalachian Trail special event for the department. Well, I've got everything in order and will hold the event at the end of the month. These specials are a big deal at UGA and this one should be one of the best. We will have Half-Moon Outfitters giving equipement demos, six memebers of the ATC displaying memorabilia and answering questions, GORP (Georgia Outdoors Recreation Program) providing information about group hikes and trips, a campsite set up in the dining hall with a shelter, tents, and a forest, and finally, hundreds of pictures of my trip last year.
The food will all be trail themed (but hopefully a little better). The menu will feature homemade granola bars, Spambalaya, pastas, mashed potatoes, leeks, ramen, blackberry milkshakes, mac n' cheese, and a lot of other tasty stuff.
And, anyone who brings a picture of their Katadin summit can get in free. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. This should be a lot of fun and I hope to see some people there. We'll catch up and reminisce.
Thanks,
Meatbag (Adam Rainville)

UGASlotMachine
02-24-2009, 23:14
is it in ECV or one of the other dining halls?

arainvil
02-25-2009, 01:21
The EVC (Summit) will be hosting the main event with all the groups, but all the dining halls will have the theme dinner.