PDA

View Full Version : Clothes for June start

ibigler5
02-25-2009, 00:17
So i'm starting my hike June 1st, should i be wearing pants? or should I wear shorts and just bring rain pants?

Marta
02-25-2009, 08:05
Going SOBO? I wore shorts from July 3 (my start date) until Nov. 1. In the summer and fall I also had a pair of Montane wind pants that mosquitoes could not bite through, and a pair of silnylon rain pants for warmth. Most people just use DEET for the bugs. A lot of hikers like those convertible, zipoff pants.

The temperatures you'll need to be prepared for in northern New England are low 90's for a high and 40s (with rain and wind) for the low. Whatever works for you in that range is what you should have.

take-a-knee
02-25-2009, 10:09
So i'm starting my hike June 1st, should i be wearing pants? or should I wear shorts and just bring rain pants?

In GA, yeah wear pants or better yet REI Sahara zipoff pants, if the trail is well maintained and it is hot, zip em off. If the poison ivy is overgrowing the trail in places, wear 'em. The help keep ticks off of your scrotum also. I reccomend treating them with permethrin for that reason.

Frick Frack
02-25-2009, 11:43
I wore pants through the 100 Mile Wilderness then sent them home. I wore a kilt the rest of the way and added Capilene tights if it was in the 20's or less (only near the end in Nov). I sent my rain pants home at the beginning too because they made me sweat so much I was more wet from using them than not using them.