PDA

View Full Version : looking for teachers who have thru hiked and applied their experience to their school

lloyd528
02-25-2009, 00:35
This is my first post on this forum. My wife and I hiked 1500 miles of the AT back in '78. We had to leave the trail for an overseas opportunity and never finished it that season. Now that we are approaching 60, we as teachers, working for the same school, want to thru hike in 2011, the 100th anniversary of our school, The Columbus Academy in Ohio. We would like to use our experience as a teaching tool by using technology to communicate with our students as we hike.

The question is: Do any of you have a lead on any teachers that you are aware of that got a leave from teaching to hike the AT but stayed connected with their school while they hiked or created curricular connections upon their return.

Bearpaw
02-25-2009, 09:55
This is my first post on this forum. My wife and I hiked 1500 miles of the AT back in '78. We had to leave the trail for an overseas opportunity and never finished it that season. Now that we are approaching 60, we as teachers, working for the same school, want to thru hike in 2011, the 100th anniversary of our school, The Columbus Academy in Ohio. We would like to use our experience as a teaching tool by using technology to communicate with our students as we hike.

The question is: Do any of you have a lead on any teachers that you are aware of that got a leave from teaching to hike the AT but stayed connected with their school while they hiked or created curricular connections upon their return.

I've used the AT for a fair bit of my lessons. In reading, I actually use a guided reader called "Walking the AT" and use it to introduce my reading groups to the topic. I combine what they see in the book with my own slides and we compare concept versus experience. They also use it to create their first 5-paragraph essays in composition. I further use the AT experience while teaching geography, using my experiences, pictures, and so forth to help them experience the effects of glacial erosion (Sunfish Pond and Pennsylvania being great examples), Tennessee history, and a study of the eastern United States in general.

Digger'02
02-25-2009, 10:07
This sounds right up the alley of Julie at the ATC's southern regional office, she runs the 'trails to every classroom' program which helps teachers develop curriculum that involves the AT, place based learning and stewardship. She probably has a wealth of info. The number for the deep south office can be found at appalachiantrail.org

The Big J
02-25-2009, 10:14
I to am a teacher and tried once to get a sabatical to hike the trail. I think I was pretty close to getting it. In the end they said it was a money thing, that they could not afford to pay me and a sub. Our contract stated Full year at half pay, half-year at full pay. I said I would take half year at half pay and they still said Maybe. I have to be able to pay my mortage. Some of the things I proposed in my letter to the board was; A journal I would update on the district web page. I had a before, during and after interview set up with the local paper. The school library was going to post pictures to the web site and make a where's Mr. J map of the AT to track my progress. I was going to make folders available to teachers in the library of lesson plans that teacher could incorporate into their lessons. When I returned I would do presentations in history classes district wide. In the end the superintendents answer was no because he felt that the media would put a bad spin on the whole thing saying, district pays teache to hike the At. What a crock! I said if you want we can hold a meeting with the paper to see what angle they would take. The answer was no. Good Luck and if you come up with anything that would help me in my Quest I would appreciate it.

lloyd528
02-25-2009, 11:24
Digger, BearPaw, Big J, All great responses, especially Digger's, who I think is leading me in the absolute right direction. No need to continue this thread, now that I have a direction, which I hope is headed for Katahdin.

Thanks so much for your help on this....Lloyd

Blissful
02-25-2009, 14:19
I am not a public school teacher (but did teach my son at home) but we stayed in contact with a 2nd grade class for 3 1/2 months until they got out for summer break. Had a good time with them and got to share when we went home for a week.

middle to middle
02-25-2009, 14:50
My wife was a middle school teacher and I gave the class a show and tell. They loved it, I think. I recall an intrest in sleeping on ground, eating, and the bathroom.

4eyedbuzzard
02-25-2009, 15:08
I to am a teacher and tried once to get a sabatical to hike the trail. I think I was pretty close to getting it. In the end they said it was a money thing, that they could not afford to pay me and a sub. Our contract stated Full year at half pay, half-year at full pay. I said I would take half year at half pay and they still said Maybe. I have to be able to pay my mortage. Some of the things I proposed in my letter to the board was; A journal I would update on the district web page. I had a before, during and after interview set up with the local paper. The school library was going to post pictures to the web site and make a where's Mr. J map of the AT to track my progress. I was going to make folders available to teachers in the library of lesson plans that teacher could incorporate into their lessons. When I returned I would do presentations in history classes district wide. In the end the superintendents answer was no because he felt that the media would put a bad spin on the whole thing saying, district pays teache to hike the At. What a crock! I said if you want we can hold a meeting with the paper to see what angle they would take. The answer was no. Good Luck and if you come up with anything that would help me in my Quest I would appreciate it.

Well, just FWIW, I'm thinking that a superintendent/school board would have a real hard time justiying the expense of an academic sabbatical to hike the AT to a budget committee, and even more so right now given current economic conditions and budget shortfalls. And likely, they'll have an even harder time justifying it to the taxpayers in general, who will likely view thru-hiking as little more than a six month vacation.

lloyd528
02-25-2009, 17:48
We wouldn't be asking for a sabbatical but 2 1/2 months off. My divisional administrator loves the idea and wants to pursue it with the Head of School. We are already half way there. The Head of School is eager to discuss it also. The finances and logistics need to be worked out. Still, nothing is definite about this. I also have discussed it with the Board president. He really likes it too. I am trying to be optimistic here.

The Big J
02-25-2009, 19:42
Well, just FWIW, I'm thinking that a superintendent/school board would have a real hard time justiying the expense of an academic sabbatical to hike the AT to a budget committee, and even more so right now given current economic conditions and budget shortfalls. And likely, they'll have an even harder time justifying it to the taxpayers in general, who will likely view thru-hiking as little more than a six month vacation.

I knew it was not going to be easy. It was worth a try. I presentented it as cross curriculm learning on a district wide basis. Anyway I have to wait a couple of years. My live in girlfriend and I decided she would go back to school for her teaching degree, so I am taking care of all the finances. No thru-hike for at least two years. I am hoping when she gets a job I will be able to take a unpaid leave of absence to hike. The good news is our district hired a new young superintendent that has following through with many new ideas. You would be surprised how many staff members and parents were behind this endeavor. It was a money decision and I understood that. It does not hurt to try for one of your goals.

warren doyle
02-26-2009, 10:56
I would be open to hosting a low-cost conference on this topic here at Lees-McRae College near the Roan Highlands.

lloyd528
02-27-2009, 11:59
Warren, you have a very impressive record and there couldn't be a better person to ask about this than you. Would you be willing to give me the name of an elementary school teacher that you met while thru hiking who wove their experience into the fabric of their school curriculum? If not, I think I can figure this out with the resources I have available here in Ohio. I already know one teacher in this area who did the whole trail and applied it in the classroom. I just wanted a few different perspectives and ideas before we meet with our headmaster. Thank you.....Lloyd Cicetti

Bare Bear
03-01-2009, 19:13
During my thru in 06 several teachers at schools (Elementary) I had substitute taught had their classes follow my trail journal. They used everyday things to get the kids interested. "How many miles does Mr. Smith have to average to get to Maine by October 1?" What kinds of animals do you think Mr. Smith sees on the trail? What do you think you would like most/least about hiking?