PDA

View Full Version : Is there "shuttle" service for IAT around Kettle Moraine section???

webejpn01
02-25-2009, 12:13
Thinking of a weekend run (northern or southern half) or a 5day run (all of it). Is there any type of shuttle service for either sections or the entire run?

IceAge
02-25-2009, 12:25
I'm not aware of an official shuttle service, but there is a guy in Plymouth, WI known as the 'Crabby Cabby' who might be able to shuttle you in the Northern KMF. His number is 920-838-2624.

Otherwise, contact the chapters of the Ice Age Trail for the areas you are interested in and they can usually set you up. If you are doing a weekend run in the North KMF, pm me and maybe I can help.

mkmangold
02-26-2009, 02:27
If you start at the northern end of the Northern Kettle Moraine and park your car there, and then hike to Kewauskum, I'd be happy to give you a ride back up to your car, especially if we can spend the last night or two on the trail with both of you. If this happens on the weekend, the better.

George
02-26-2009, 02:43
If you mean to hike not run I may be able to hike/shuttle the IAT if you are looking for others

mkmangold
02-26-2009, 03:14
If you mean to hike not run I may be able to hike/shuttle the IAT if you are looking for others

I'm too old to run and my youngest son's legs are too short to run, too. As always, we'd be glad to make your trip up to either unit of the Kettle Moraine worthwhile so PM if you need help.

webejpn01
02-26-2009, 09:08
So are we talking a pretty much flat walk from the north to south section of the KM section of the IAT? I mean, i can do 10mile days on the southern portion of the AT in Georgia. What should i expect for IAT? From the reading I have done online, sounds like the IAT is flat as a board.

IceAge
02-26-2009, 11:32
The idea of the IAT is a path that follows along the very edge of the last glacier to cover North America, handily known as the Wisconsinian Glaciation. Glaciers, by their nature, tend to flatten out the land, but at their edges they leave behind an interesting landscape. Terminal Moraines are the long hills created by the glacier pushing along the ground like a gigantic bulldozer, there are also eskers created by rivers running underneath the glacier, tall cone-shaped kames, and many other unique land forms.

So that's the long answer. The short answer is, while there aren't any mountains to climb, the best description may be that the trail is "rolling and hilly"

puddingboy
02-26-2009, 18:01
Compared to the AT i would probably say it is flat, but there are some ups and downs, or even staying on top of the moraines is kinda like a ridge.