PDA

View Full Version : Where to do First Long AT Section

dperry
02-25-2009, 15:26
The wife and I are thinking about doing our first week-long section this year. We're not committed yet, for various reasons, but if we are going to do it, we need to start thinking now. So I'm posting a poll here with the options we are considering. Each section is listed in the direction we would do it. All sections would start on a Sunday and conclude on the following Saturday, so they would all take seven days. The Vermont sections would be in early August, the Virginia and Georgia sections in June sometime. I'm leaning towards one of the Vermont sections, as we've never averaged more than five miles a day with full backpacks before, and since we would wait until August, that would give us more time to train. On the other hand, you have less choice in camping sites in Vermont, which would force us to do a couple of very long days at some point. I'm also tempted to do the Georgia part, which would get us to Springer and give us the "start of a thru-hike feel." In any event, please give us your opinions. The biggest criteria here is probably ease of hiking, given again that we haven't done anything like this before. Thanks.

4eyedbuzzard
02-25-2009, 15:40
If ease of terrain is the primary criteria, I'd think about the sections of trail in NY, NJ, PA, MD, WV, and northern VA(particularly SNP-Shenandoah Nat. Park). Southern PA and SNP are usually the most recommended by people here on WB when ease of hiking is a primary consideration.

Just Plain Jim
02-25-2009, 15:42
I did Ga. in 2003 mainly because it's the first part and was close to home. It turned out to be the hardest that I've done. I loved every [wet] step.

Blissful
02-25-2009, 15:59
You need to do Shenandoah NP, esp if you need an easy hike and you have never done it. Though early June would be thru hiker season. Just be ready to tent.
Wife might like a stay one night in the lodge too. And opportunities for showers and laundry. :)

dperry
02-26-2009, 09:25
If ease of terrain is the primary criteria, I'd think about the sections of trail in NY, NJ, PA, MD, WV, and northern VA(particularly SNP-Shenandoah Nat. Park). Southern PA and SNP are usually the most recommended by people here on WB when ease of hiking is a primary consideration.

Our plan is actually to do some of the closer parts (which includes all of what you mentioned) and some of the farther parts simultaneously. The areas that are closer, we're doing as three-day weekends once or twice a year. The ones farther away, we're doing as a week each year. That way we get to see some of each, and we're not saving all of the really tough parts until we're old and creaky. :D The sections I listed in the poll, I figured, judging by the elevation profiles and so forth, are the easiest of the "far away" parts. So I'm really interested in finding out which of those people recommend. Thanks.

sly dog
02-26-2009, 10:46
Do MD, very easy and a lot to see. It is close to home for you too. There some nice pieces of history to read about and stop at thru the whole state and there are some nice places to spend some *&* time like gathland and such. Ed Garvy shelter is pretty cool too with the loft. You also get some nice views from black rock,white rock and Annapolis rocks and weverton cliffs. Also a nice free hot shower at Dahlgren campground. VT is nice with some awsome views and cool sights and a chance to see a moose but not very easy. I've never done sections before VA yet so cant help ya much there. Also I think you can easily knock off the whole state in a week even as newbies.

sly dog
02-26-2009, 10:47
*&* ? I put Rest and relaxiation (* and *) Whats up with that?