PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions CT - MA - VT

eyahiker
05-17-2004, 22:15
Deciding where to start in CT so that I can hike all of MA this summer, guess that's over the state line into VT. Suggestions on the best place to start and end, figured N Adams for the bus back to my vehicle, have 14 days, so lots of time, suggestions? Do all of CT as well, never been that far N yet so your opinons are important to me!:banana

okpik
05-18-2004, 06:49

Tramper Al
05-18-2004, 07:45
Eya,
Start right on the NY/CT border (Hoyt Rd) and hike all of CT & MA northbound. That's only about 145 miles or so (if I remember correctly), so you've got plenty of time in 14 days. There are several opportunities to resuly along that route.
If you are into state highpoints, take an easy detour over to Frissell, right at the CT/MA border. You'll climb Greylock on the trail.
Beyond your car in North Adams, it's only a couple of miles to the MA/VT border, so you can complete the state and loop back.
Have a great hike!

PS 2XL: This section hiker has 14 days and will be there in July.

2XL
05-18-2004, 07:48
When do you plan on starting? How many days do you plan on being on the trail? Does the fourteen days include your travel time.

2XL

funkyfreddy
05-18-2004, 11:48
I found parts of CT almost unbearable a few years ago in June due to mosquitos. I have a small sliver of NY state left to do and also plan on doing CT, Mass, and Vermont so post your itineraries and maybe I can join up for some of the fun. I think fall would be a perfect time to hike in CT and Mass as the colors would be beautiful and the bugs would be gone. Rand's view in the fall must be amazing!

eyahiker
05-18-2004, 16:47
Thanks 2 XL for asking:

Actual hike allowed time after travel is 12-13 days. Leaving mid July, hoping not to get eaten alive, probably will do CT/MA since MA is only about 92 miles, correct? Just want to officially cross CT and VT state lines so the whole state is complete...

Deciding which end to leave the car, first thought about going SOBO ( Leaving car at S end) but then decided I would rather hike NOBO, hear it's a better hike, correct me please if I need it!

Contacted the MA ATC office, they told me about the bus service that runs up to N Adams/Williamstown, but don't think it runs into VT, maybe I can cross the line, and head back the 7 or so miles to the town again, just to make it official.....open for suggestions!:)