PDA

View Full Version : Does Tyvek fray?

optimator
02-25-2009, 15:49
I just got a new tent, and intend on making a Tyvek footprint for it. I found a seller on Ebay that cuts custom sizes & hems the edges. Is this necessary? If it doesn't fray I don't see the point in paying the extra $ to have it hemmed. Help?

bigmac_in
02-25-2009, 15:55
I wouldn't pay the extra to have Tyvek hemmed. But, I wouldn't pay for Tyvek at all. Just go to a new home construction site and look for a piece that's been thrown in the dumpster. Cut it yourself with a pair of scissors. It will hold up.

nhlfan
02-25-2009, 15:56
It doesn't "fray" in the sense of a regular tarp or piece of cloth, but the cut edges are a bit fragile I guess you could say. Just like anything, if you double it up and have a nice hem on it, it will make it more durable. Depending on the cost, of course, it is a nice touch. Although, on the other hand, if you drive by a new home being built and they are in the process of wrapping it, you can either dumpster dive and get a piece for free, or just ask the guys doing the framing and they'll probably give you a piece.

nhlfan
02-25-2009, 15:57
I wouldn't pay the extra to have Tyvek hemmed. But, I wouldn't pay for Tyvek at all. Just go to a new home construction site and look for a piece that's been thrown in the dumpster. Cut it yourself with a pair of scissors. It will hold up.

LOL, beat me to it, was typing my reply while this was posted!

optimator
02-25-2009, 15:58
Where the hell are you guys seeing new homes being built! :eek:

bigmac_in
02-25-2009, 16:06

One right next to me. Idiots cut my cable line last week. I'd be glad to steal, I mean "find", you a piece of tyvek. (Although they haven't started framing yet).

Seriously, there are still homes being built in my town. Not quite as bad on the housing front here.

Blissful
02-25-2009, 16:06

Yeah funny but really sad as I have some friends that are hurting because of it. One is in real estate,the other sells carpet.

But true you can get throwaway piece of tyvek at homesites if you're lucky.

And they do fray a little, but not enough to be concerned. They hold up good.

optimator
02-25-2009, 16:13
There is some building going on around here, but not much. If I can't get what I need local, I can get it for less than 10 bucks on Ebay. That's not too bad...

bigmac_in
02-25-2009, 16:15
There is some building going on around here, but not much. If I can't get what I need local, I can get it for less than 10 bucks on Ebay. That's not too bad...

$10 definately isn't bad, but not as good as the piece I pulled out of the dumpster last year. :D

Of course, I just walked across the street to get it.

Good Luck.

take-a-knee
02-25-2009, 16:31
I just got a new tent, and intend on making a Tyvek footprint for it. I found a seller on Ebay that cuts custom sizes & hems the edges. Is this necessary? If it doesn't fray I don't see the point in paying the extra $ to have it hemmed. Help?

After looking at the strings of tyvek hanging on one wall of my unsided shop, I'd be inclined to say yes.

Cedar Tree
02-25-2009, 17:45
I wouldn't pay extra for hems, especially sewn hems. From my limited experience sewing/working with tyvek, sewing pokes little holes in the fabric that stay little round holes, and in my opinion damages the structural integrity of the fabric. I know these hems around the perimeter would not be under stress, so it wouldn't matter in a ground cloth application. But I've made Packas out of tyvek and the seams under stress did not do well.

However, I have had good success gluing tyvek. In fact I made a sweet tyvek bathtub style ground cloth with just glue. Make a hem first by folding the edges over and glue down around the perimeter. Then fold up the corners like you would wrap a Christmas present, and glue. My little walls stood up about 2 inches all the way around and fit nicely inside the walls of my tent fly. Any water seeping in would have to go under the ground cloth, instead of maybe over the top. YMMV
Cedar Tree

garlic08
02-25-2009, 19:21
No need to hem the edges. It's just a ground cloth.

Sailor (The other one)
02-25-2009, 19:39
However, I have had good success gluing tyvek. In fact I made a sweet tyvek bathtub style ground cloth with just glue. Make a hem first by folding the edges over and glue down around the perimeter. Then fold up the corners like you would wrap a Christmas present, and glue. My little walls stood up about 2 inches all the way around and fit nicely inside the walls of my tent fly. Any water seeping in would have to go under the ground cloth, instead of maybe over the top. YMMV
Cedar Tree

I was wondering about gluing Tyvek today. Could you tell us which glue you used?

Thanks.

BackTrack1
02-26-2009, 08:39
I work with tyvek all of the time, its pretty tough stuff, i would say just cut it to size and it will be fine, it will take a long time before the edges start to fray , if you get a peice from a construction site its free, so who cares if it frays a little, ive been useing the same peice for one of my tents for about 3 yrs and its still in good shape.
I would recomend maybe washing it in the washing machine first though , it will make it softer and less crinkely easier to work with.

hoz
02-26-2009, 09:20
Tyvek doesn't fray, but it does "pill". It develops little fuzz balls. It also picks up ground duff.

I too am interested in what glue you use for tyvek.

Cedar Tree
02-26-2009, 11:40
I hate to say this, but I honestly do not remember which glue I used. I made that ground cloth back in about 2002. Also, I left out a very important detail in my last post. The tyvek I used for the ground cloth and packas was not your construction grade tyvek used for house building. It was that much softer kite grade tyvek found here:
http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Repair_and_Kitemaking/Fabric

I don't have it anymore either. I sold it on ebay with a tarp I made.
Sorry,
CT

Christopher Robin
02-26-2009, 13:49
I hate to say this, but I honestly do not remember which glue I used. I made that ground cloth back in about 2002. Also, I left out a very important detail in my last post. The tyvek I used for the ground cloth and packas was not your construction grade tyvek used for house building. It was that much softer kite grade tyvek found here:
http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Repair_and_Kitemaking/Fabric

I don't have it anymore either. I sold it on ebay with a tarp I made.
Sorry,
CT
Yes, $3.99 yard at 60 inches wide. Good deal. :banana