PDA

View Full Version : Need Help for Wampler Kids Charity!

KiloSierra
02-25-2009, 18:54
Hello all!

Please help bring the wonder of camping to wheelchair-bound kids! :sun

I hope you'll pardon me for this off-topic post, but I thought you might be able to help this terrific outdoors charity.

Wampler Kids puts on adventure programs near Lake Tahoe for kids with disabilities, and I'm hoping to find donors, attendees, and volunteers for WK's upcoming charity benefit.

Before I describe WK more, I should note that I'm volunteering, but I'm not part of the organization itself. I just know Steve Wampler (who has severe cerebral palsy, yet puts on this wonderful camp for disabled kids), and I work with a great wheelchair-bound guy who's on WK's board (John is a CPA). So I'm fairly familiar with WK, and I know it's an effective, well-run charity that really makes a difference.

If you can donate even a little bit, I know that Wampler Kids would be extremely grateful! I'll add a description and a letter from Steve Wampler below.

http://www.wamplerkids.org
Donate - http://www.wamplerkids.org/donate.html

Thank you so much for your time and interest!
Kara Smith - Pixie
JMT '08
AT '05

Wampler Kids needs donors, attendees, and volunteers for the upcoming fundraising event at the Hotel Del Coronado on Saturday, March 14th. It's known as the funnest charity event of the year held at the Hotel Del - and it's the best kind of attire: camp wear!

The event has usually been sold out, ticket sales have been slow. Tickets are $140 (most of which can be a deduction on your taxes!).

A letter from Steve Wampler:

My name is Steve Wampler, and I am the founder of Wampler Kids. I was born with a pretty severe form of Cerebral Palsy, and have been using a wheelchair my whole life.

When I turned ten, my parents started sending me to a week-long summer camp (near Lake Tahoe) for kids with physical disabilities. This rough-terrain camp in the middle of nowhere became my favorite place on earth. I fished, had camp-fires, played in the lake, and slept under the stars for the 9 straight years that I attended.

I'm grown now, and live in Coronado with my wife and two kids. My wife, Elizabeth and I have realized my lifelong dream. In 2004 I reopened the very wilderness program that I had attended as a child. We have hosted about 800 kids with physical disabilities whose families cannot afford to send their children to camp. Last summer we raised enough money to send 200 kids (at no cost to their families), to these outdoor wilderness programs, and our hope for 2009 is to send 250.

Some of our adventures include experiences at Hawley Lake, where I attended camp as a child, but some will go to Baja to go Kayaking, some will rock climb and cycle in Yosemite, while others will go white-water rafting on the American River!

I have devoted my professional life to advancing the lives of people with physical challenges. I know first-hand what this experience can do to enrich the life of a child. I've lived it and I am now compelled to bring these life-enhancing experiences to other young adventurers with physical disabilities.

None of these life-changing adventures would be possible without the tremendous support of our very generous donor community!