PDA

View Full Version : 4 Days in Va

dhock83
02-25-2009, 22:35
Me and three others are planning on taking four days to hike the AT in Va. Two of us will be using hammocks two in a tent. looking to do 10-15 Miles per day and will be going sometime in june or maybe even july. I was just wandering if there is a great four day section we could do.

Blissful
02-25-2009, 23:03
Grayson Highlands SP area, southwest VA, has great scenery. But it will likely be hot and humid. Anywhere in VA. So you won't have to carry much except water.

Skyline
02-25-2009, 23:32
These are three really exceptional stretches of the AT in VA:

In the Southwest, Damascus to Fox Creek or vice versa, which includes the Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands.

In Central VA, US 60 to Rockfish Gap or vice versa.

Or perhaps Lewis Mt. to Hogback Mt. in SNP (part of the Central and North Districts).

Since it appears you are coming from Ohio, you will have less driving if you choose SNP or US60>RFG. But IMHO Grayson/Mt. Rogers is the best, if the weather cooperates.

jaywalke
02-26-2009, 10:58
June and July will be dry, dry, dry up high. Central VA (James River north) may be better than the highlands.

Skyline
02-26-2009, 12:18
June and July will be dry, dry, dry up high. Central VA (James River north) may be better than the highlands.

Good point, especially WRT the spring behind Thomas Knob Shelter.

Nicksaari
02-26-2009, 19:26
highlands, first pick. that section in central, US60 to rockfish gap or somewhere south of there, that would be great. or like everyone else said, a good section in SNP, but if its dry, the one with the better water sources.

dhock83
02-27-2009, 11:37
Ok sounds like highlands is where I want to go. Im pumped up to do my first AT trip, cant wait to see the wild ponies and great views. But what is the best way to check and see how wet the highlands are? I know a lot of times the local weather doesnt mean it is doing the same in the mountains. One other thing I have been through every book my libary can get of the AT in south VA, but i cant find a good guide on the section of trail from Damascus to Fox Creek or vice versa. Does anyone know where I can look? Thank you all so much for the great info you provide!!!

Skyline
02-27-2009, 12:29
Ok sounds like highlands is where I want to go. Im pumped up to do my first AT trip, cant wait to see the wild ponies and great views. But what is the best way to check and see how wet the highlands are? I know a lot of times the local weather doesnt mean it is doing the same in the mountains. One other thing I have been through every book my libary can get of the AT in south VA, but i cant find a good guide on the section of trail from Damascus to Fox Creek or vice versa. Does anyone know where I can look? Thank you all so much for the great info you provide!!!

A good source for current water conditions in the High Country close to the time of your hike would be Mt. Rogers Outfitters, Sundog Outfitters, or Lone Wolf in Damascus.

If you just want a description of the AT and side trails, the Southwest Virginia Guide to the AT would suffice. You can get it from ATC, the two outfitters above, or the link directly below.

Other books of interest can also be ordered online at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/maps/index.shtml

More info at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/gra.shtml

Johnny Malloy, who has written books about trails all over the Southeast, has written a comprehensive book about Mt. Rogers. You can preview it at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0897323289/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

dhock83
02-27-2009, 21:26
Out of the four of us going i feel pretty good about me and one other as far as doing steep climbs and challenging hikes. The other two know that they will need to be in trail shape by then, but I dont workout with those two so I dont know first hand if they will be in tip top shape. So finally to my question ( I know you are thinking "I wish this guy would do some of his own research" but this is the best info site i have found) Is going south to north easier or is north to south easier?? Once again thank you!!

Skyline
02-27-2009, 22:52
Out of the four of us going i feel pretty good about me and one other as far as doing steep climbs and challenging hikes. The other two know that they will need to be in trail shape by then, but I dont workout with those two so I dont know first hand if they will be in tip top shape. So finally to my question ( I know you are thinking "I wish this guy would do some of his own research" but this is the best info site i have found) Is going south to north easier or is north to south easier?? Once again thank you!!

There are climbs and descents either way, but I think going N>S has fewer climbs. If you started at Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park, connected to the AT, and hiked into Damascus, it would be even easier. Substituting the Virginia Creeper Trail for the AT from Creek Junction to Damascus would be almost a piece of cake.